Newbury area ( greenham common etc ) wheezy types look here

mobile chicane1
mobile chicane1 Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in MTB rides
Ello all, quick intro:

about 17 years ago I could cycle 20 miles off road and not even be out of breath, I even used to ride a cheap apollo "racer" ( shudder ) the 9 miles to work and back in the summer.

Then I got a car licence and a bike licence and it all went down hill ( apart from my man boobs which are now a perky A cup ).

I decided it was time to loose the flab so bought a new £300 mtb and stuck my old spd's on it disinfected the camelback and slogged my guts out for 7 yes 7 miles around greenham common's trails.

The ipod was ok with the right tunes to keep me going but misery loves company.

So if your in the newbury area and want to ride again but are fearfull of falling behind or being tutted at for stoping and sparking up a fag after the first 300 meters or being rediculed having a bike that cost less than £900 then the wheezy riders is for YOU.

Comments

• ( second post due to pc crash )

Plenty of stoping and waiting, no real defined routes but genraly 5 -10 miles around greenam co mon or snelsmore common.

There will be single track and there will be some parts where you may want to get off and push due to steepness of hill or slippery when wet bridge areas, this is fine by me as I'll probably be the first one pushing rather than pedaling.

Everyone rides there own pace.

I have some rather pathetic "smart " lights so I may even do a night ride ( excuse to go even slower )

Any takers whack a post on here :)
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    No longer live in Newbs so can't do anything regular, but am back next weekend if you fancy an early morning spin either sat or sun?
    FCN 7
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I grew up on Greenham Common... them were the days. Peace protesters. Kids from Bishops Green dumping and burning cars. Building enormous BMX ramps etc etc.

Anyway, moved away myself now so can't say I'll join you. I used to enjoy riding out through Ecchinswell to Watership Down, picking up Wayfarers Walk and cycling to Combe Gibbett. Maybe not in this weather though...
  • i'm up for a ride out and i'm unfit when are wheezy riders out again please let me know!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Didn't know you could ride Snelsmore, never seen any bikes there. Usually found there at weekends walkign with my little man.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    You jest surely? OK, haven't been up there myself in a few years but it was wall to wall off roaders last time I was there. Not so many at the car park, but there's a nice cycle route past Donington Castle which brings you out in the opposite corner of Snelsmore. There's another route which goes round the foot of the castle, bit of a climb on muddy tracks to get up but that brings you out elsewhere too. Bagnor way I seem to recall...

There's a gully thereabouts which can be quite fun trundling up and down.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    mr_si wrote:
    You jest surely? OK, haven't been up there myself in a few years but it was wall to wall off roaders last time I was there. Not so many at the car park, but there's a nice cycle route past Donington Castle which brings you out in the opposite corner of Snelsmore. There's another route which goes round the foot of the castle, bit of a climb on muddy tracks to get up but that brings you out elsewhere too. Bagnor way I seem to recall...

There's a gully thereabouts which can be quite fun trundling up and down.

Nopes, have been there 20+ times walking as it's only a 5 mins drive from my house, so we go there when nice... Never seen a bike EVER... We have walked as far down as the far end of the golfcourse.
  • timus41
    timus41 Posts: 20
    Hi , I live in Basingstoke and would be up for a ride on a weekend , let me know when and where and what time and I let you know if I can come join you . Bit of a wheezy rider myself (50 years old LOL) .
    Timus
  • same as timus, could do saturdays.