Beetroot Juice

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
Interested in giving this a go - can anyone help with advice on how much to take, how to take it and where to buy it?

Hollad & Barrett sell capsules of extract as well as the juice, is this a cheaper more convenient way to get the same benefits? (and without red wee wee!)

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Why not just eat beetroot? Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc etc have stacks of it.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Just eating beetroot will not give the same benefits, something to do with it being quite hard for the body to actually digest the actual beet. Juice is much more easily assimiliated by the body. It's in the studies anyway.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Yes it's juice or capsules with the same effects I'm after if anyone can help.

Quite capable of finding beetroot at the supermarket thanks :lol:
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    500ml of beetroot juice daily is the amount I've seen reccomended.

I've seen abstracts that Exeter university have undertaken research in to the effects of beetroot juice on endurance cyclists (beleive this was the/one of the) studies qouted in Cycling Weekly (unknown issue number).

Edit: The research was by Andy Jones of Exeter University. It was 500 milliletres of organic beetroot juice consumed once a day over 6 days. It produced on average a 14% improvement in endurance.

These are quick snippets from a susequent article and NOT from the research paper. I'd suggest trying to find the original paper to fully understand it.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    500ml a day, 250ml in morning and 250 in the evening.

Meant to do it in the week leading up to whatever your targetting, so no need to drink it 365 days a year.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Cheers for the replies - I'll have a look for that research paper paper per Irezumi but will follow the plan from Rokkala otherwise.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Summary is here if anyone else wants it

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featuredne ... 71,en.html

2% performance benefit indicated, not bad at all
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    try these

http://www.beet-it.com/shot/

taste pretty good in this form, but of course more expensive. Not really practical to eat enough actual veg each day IMHO. I used these for a while in the run up to a tough event last summer and have no way of knowing if they helped but didnt seem to hurt! Just swapped out my morning OJ.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...