All round tyres, choices choices?!

Stoowit
Stoowit Posts: 25
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
hey all,

Been hitting woods and trails for a few months now and lack of cash makes upgrading parts of my bike tricky.

Am I right in thinking tyres will give me an instant cost effective upgrade or will it be pointless?

I currently have some kenda tyres that came with the bike a, carrera vengeance, so any ideas or advice on good all round tyres would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    .....and this is where cooldad comes in and says something of absolutely no value like:

"I thought all tyres were round?"

Anyway back on topic, get Nobby Nics, they're awesome!
  • That's what I was looking at along with maxxis minions?
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I was asking about tyres a month or so back, and everyone highly recommended Nics, the difference it has made over the stock Mountain Kings that were on my Fury is amazing.

They grip really well on loose rocks, mud, roots, pretty much everything you are likely to come across on a ride through the woods or on a trail.

I can't comment on the Maxxis Minions as I've never tried them.
  • Good advice thanks.

Hopefully get a set soon and feel the difference.

Any difference between front and rear or are they all the same?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IDave wrote:
    .....and this is where cooldad comes in and says something of absolutely no value like:

"I thought all tyres were round?"

Anyway back on topic, get Nobby Nics, they're awesome!

That is the most inane statement ever.
    I normally suggest round rubbery ones.
    Everyone has their own opinion, generally a mass debate over various Schwalbe (insert name here) or Maxxis (insert name here) starts.

Just as you did. You have never tried Maxxis, so you are qualified to recommend NN instead.
    Which may well be much better, but how do you know?

And degenerates into what model and size on the back vs the front.

Anyway I recommend round rubbery ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's a tricky one for a noob to get advice on. Everyone seems bored with it which is understandable I guess.

Ahh well.......round rubbery ones it is!!!
  • minions are less than £20 a pop on nextday tyres. NN are higher priced so cost effective you'll keep more cash in your pocket with maxxis if nothing else!
  • Can't really afford more than 50 quid a set so the maxxis look good cheers
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The cheapest Minions on Next Day are £24, wire SP, the kevlars are £31.

I have both Minions and Nobby Nics, the Nics are on the bike most of the time until we reach mudfest time.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Don't discount Specialized tyres - I'm running folding 2.3 Eskar Controls at the mo, really like them, and only £23 each.
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • I've seen hobby nics on chain reaction for 25 each so that might be worth a shout although I won't discount anything!

Just want something that'll see me through this years weather really!

Yeah that may be asking too much!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got both and both are great tyres. The Nics are on my hardtail and the Minions are on my full sus bike.

If you get the Minions get the Kevlar and two fronts.
  • Yeah think I'm going with nobby nics as they are in my price range on some sites and doesn't seem to be much in it between the two.

Cheers for the responses y'all!![/code]
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    My tuppence (and I've ridden all three) is nics, fires or nevegals making pretty good all rounders, running from lightest and raciest to toughest in that order. Can't comment on maxxis
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Cheers bike a swan.

There's various nics around from evo to performance? Any advice on the difference?

Also, I'm planning on going for 2.25 width as it seems to be standard. That sound right?
  • I have used several maxxis tyres and either the minions or a high roller (compound depending) would be good for all round use. If you want a little more grip from either they offer different compounds and prices are pretty good without finding discounts.

Schwalbe tyres seem to be pretty popular as well so I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
  • robertpb wrote:
    The cheapest Minions on Next Day are £24, wire SP, the kevlars are £31.

I have both Minions and Nobby Nics, the Nics are on the bike most of the time until we reach mudfest time.
    I paid less than £20 each Inc delivery (2.35) less than a month ago from next day for single ply minions 1 super tacky and one normal
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited February 2011
    Panaracer Rampage - weigh around 700g, and are very grippy.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... ID=C465DXX

Maxxis Ignitors and Schwalbe Nobby Nics are also great all rounders on the lighter side, On-One are doing cheap Schwalbe's at the moment.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Yeah just been looking at the on one website.

Looks like I can find a pair for under my budget so I'm happy with that.

Cheers for all the advice on what is I'm sure, a much quoted subject!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And I bet they end up being round and rubbery.
    IMHO Kenda make some excellent tyres as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Maxxis Advantage are also very good, I use them all year round as a great general trail tyre in the 2.25 size.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    thel33ter wrote:
    Panaracer Rampage - weigh around 700g, and are very grippy.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... ID=C465DXX

Maxxis Ignitors and Schwalbe Nobby Nics are also great all rounders on the lighter side, On-One are doing cheap Schwalbe's at the moment.

Wot he said. The Rampage SC is the grippiest tyre and the absolute best for trail centre/rocky/rooty work.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris