Can I fit STI shifters to bullhorn bars?

Lycra Man
Lycra Man Posts: 141
edited March 2011 in Workshop
After riding my road bike for a year, I still don't feel confident in applying enough force to the brake levers, (compared to my previous bike, a flat bar hybrid with V brakes).

I also have no need for drops.

So is there any reason why I can't fit normal Shimano Tiagra brake/gear shifters to bullhorn bars, or is there a techncial reason why they would not fit or work?

Thanks in advance.

Lycra Man
FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The levers won't be in the right place - with bullhorns most people use aero brake levers. I think the cabling would be odd as well.

If you actually used the drops you'd realise that you can apply a much greater braking force from the drops position. You might want to consider raising your bars a bit so that the drops are a comfortable position for you.
    More problems but still living....
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    hi - have a look at the on-one Midge bars, they look a bit weird but are very comfortable on the hoods or on the shallow drops.

Another possibility is that the levers are to far away from the drop for you. I'm not sure if the tiagra levers come with shims but if not, you could try the specialized slim shim which will bring the lever a bit nearer the bar.

...Or you might just not have the bars and levers positioned correctly for you, can you post a side-on pic of your bars?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could fit the levers to the bars, but cable-routing can be fiddly as you need an extra loop as it has to turn through 90 degrees - too tight and the brakes will drag.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    It is possible and I have seen it in a photo of a pro years ago. The cable routing may be an issue but Nokon inner and outer cables could help (expensive but are supposed to help with difficult routing). If I find the picture, I'll post it.

just found this...
    http://forum.dahon.com/index.php?showtopic=4709

hope this helps.
  • delstron
    delstron Posts: 74
    I have Ergos fitted to bullhorn bars and apart from a loop of cable they look and work OK