Bizarre delivery policy - IKEA

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Bought a chest of drawers off IKEA - good price, the correct (difficult to find) shape etc.

Wanted it to be delivered this saturday.

Heard nothing all saturday - rang them today about to to find the excuse "they couldn't find my address". Bizarre.

Anyway, they're now redelivering it next Monday. Unforutnately, no-one will be home on Monday, so a delivery that day is pointless. I told them this, and asked for the date to be changed.

The response was that the delivery service has to turn up to my door with the drawers, see I'm not home, and only then can I arrange another day.

Do these companies not understand that plenty of people can't take a day off work to wait for a chest of draws, and that people can't necessarily suddenly find time to wait?

It's totally bizarre.

Comments

• Surely by having the item delivered you are missing out on the most exciting part of Ikea Shopping - the will it, won't it, ft in the boot moment!

I was once almost reduced to tears tryting to fit a flat packed table into an Audi A4 on a wet and windy Friday evening in Birmngham!

I also managed to fit a complete Ikea king sized bed (2 single mattresses)into a VW Golf!
  • rick_chasey
    Surely by having the item delivered you are missing out on the most exciting part of Ikea Shopping - the will it, won't it, ft in the boot moment!

I was once almost reduced to tears tryting to fit a flat packed table into an Audi A4 on a wet and windy Friday evening in Birmngham!

I also managed to fit a complete Ikea king sized bed (2 single mattresses)into a VW Golf!

That part would require having a car....!

By the way, how did you get it to fit?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    what is a chest of draws?
  • Slighty trickier on a bike! :D

I had to remove all the pieces from the packaging and unscrew the armrests from the rear doors if I remember correctly (it was a glass topped table so not much room for manoeuvre!) I was on my own and it weighed a ton!

Still, its the best value furniture you can buy!
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:

I'll tell you what it isn't - a spelling pedant!
  • Pokerface
    Well then, why didn't you just say so from the beginning? :oops:
  • Pokerface
    Bought a chest of drawers off IKEA - good price, the correct (difficult to find) shape etc.

Heard nothing all saturday - rang them today about to to find the excuse "they couldn't find my address". Bizarre.

Anyway, they're now redelivering it next Monday. Unforutnately, no-one will be home on Monday, so a delivery that day is pointless. I told them this, and asked for the date to be changed.

The response was that the delivery service has to turn up to my door with the drawers, see I'm not home, and only then can I arrange another day.

Do these companies not understand that plenty of people can't take a day off work to wait for a chest of draws, and that people can't necessarily suddenly find time to wait?

It's totally bizarre.

Missed one :P
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:

It's totally bizarre.

Missed one :P

Nerrrrrrrrr!

Edit: I'm leaving that one in for posterity reasons.

I'd like to see your spelling in Dutch! :P
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2011
    I want some comment on the stupid delivery policy, not my spelling / lack of a car!

:cry:

Meanwhile, my pants lie on the floor...
  • Pokerface

Your spelling and english are usually impeccable. Which is why I was confused.
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:

Your spelling and english are usually impeccable. Which is why I was confused.

*shrugs* I always assumed they were spelled draws.

As in western shootout; "to draw your gun". You "draw" the thing you put stuff in out of the chest.

Or indeed, draw a card.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    This may be a case of "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys". I haven't used the Ikea delivery service (like Dunkindiver, I prefer the excitement of a store visit), but they trade on value rather than nothing-is-too-much customer service.

I'm sure John Lewis, for example, would have more practical delivery arrangements, but the cost of the product allows this to be available.
  • rick_chasey
    Monkeypump wrote:
    This may be a case of "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys". I haven't used the Ikea delivery service (like Dunkindiver, I prefer the excitement of a store visit), but they trade on value rather than nothing-is-too-much customer service.

I'm sure John Lewis, for example, would have more practical delivery arrangements, but the cost of the product allows this to be available.

You're probably right.

£15 though!

It's more the fact they are wasting their own time.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Is that £15 per attempt, or just 1 x £15?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Slighty trickier on a bike! :D

I had to remove all the pieces from the packaging and unscrew the armrests from the rear doors if I remember correctly (it was a glass topped table so not much room for manoeuvre!) I was on my own and it weighed a ton!

Still, its the best value furniture you can buy!

It might be the cheapest furniture you can buy. I have to confess, I'm more than a little dubious about the value of most of it!
  • rick_chasey
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Is that £15 per attempt, or just 1 x £15?

1X £15 for the drawers plus £5 something for delivery.

Given that it's the perfect fit, (which is unusual) it's a quality buy.
  • It gets worse.

I had 5 Billy bookcases delivered. I wanted 2 downstairs and 3 upstairs.

After putting 2 in the dinning room, I asked the guy to put the other three upstairs. He totally ignored me, and proceeded to put the third in the dinning whilst bashing the package off the door frames and staircase. On his way back out to the van to pick up the fourth he told me that they only delivered to one room. :roll:

That great service cost me £35.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    A big box where his mrs keeps her knickers.
  • I had a similiar problem with Argos a couple of years ago..I ordered something on sunday for home delivery and it was scheduled for delivery on wednesday. Had reason to cancel the order later on the sunday so emailed them. They then informed me early monday morning the delivery schedule couldn't be changed so if I didn't want the item I'd just have to refuse delivery however I'd still get charged the £5 delivery fee!! Spent a while arguing the toss over this, 'It's monday...surely you can re-write your delivery schedule for wednesday?!' and got nowhere so needless to say Argos and it's associated companies don't get any more of my cash.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Perhaps it's not really their policy. You may have spoken to a 'Cake Stop' lurker and will return home to find an empty hall where the single speed was and nice bit of wall that was covered by a new LCD tv.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Some delivery services offered by High Street retailers, Argos & DSG, will only deliver items into the hallway or kitchen for white goods, if you have any stairs to your front door forget it as they'll only climb 4 max. John Lewis are much more flexible but have only 7 mins per delivery slot on their schedule.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I can get you this on the cheap, never been used. You have to pick it up though.

41781_115116168506018_7364_n.jpg
  • Had a similar situation with Dell. I ordered a computer from them and then realised no one would be home for the delivery. I called to change the delivery date and was told that it was already in the system so I would have to wait until a delivery was attempted before they could change the date. The depot it was being delivered from was 45 miles away, so unless there were a number of other deliveries in my area it was a big waste of time and fuel for the delivery company.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    IKEA subcontract out their Home Delivery Service therefore you make a separate contract with these people. Each store has it's own delivery company acting for them. They will only deliver up to a certain distance from the store as further than this becomes prohibitively expensive and tbh they CBA. In some areas you can imagine that this is performed by monkeys eg Croydon and south London. They tell you that you have to accept delivery so they can take the items back when no one is around to take receipt. You then have to rebook at additional cost to you as it counts as a failed delivery. If you kick up a stink with IKEA they will refund you if the Home Delivery people have mucked you around. There is a shocking amount of stuff that gets broken or goes 'missing'.

If you buy a lot of stuff or big ticket items eg mattresses, sofas or kitchens these can be dispatched from IKEA's own distribution centre using DHL. There is again a charge for this. Sometimes this is the only option if you live too far from a store to make use of Home Delivery and are unable to arrange your own transport.

Saturday and Sunday afternoons provide great entertainment for staff if they get a chance to take a look over the car parks ............... :lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    rossere wrote:
    It gets worse.

I had 5 Billy bookcases delivered. I wanted 2 downstairs and 3 upstairs.

After putting 2 in the dinning room, I asked the guy to put the other three upstairs. He totally ignored me, and proceeded to put the third in the dinning whilst bashing the package off the door frames and staircase. On his way back out to the van to pick up the fourth he told me that they only delivered to one room. :roll:

That great service cost me £35.

Wow! You should think yourself lucky that this amazing service was so "cheap". I also wanted a Billy bookshelf (will all of our dwellings one day look the same?) which cost €38 (in Germany). To have it delivered to my place, a distance of about 3 miles, I would have had to pay €80. The delivery would have cost me more than the price for 2 bookshelves! Got a mate to drive me there instead and of course ended up spending more than the €80 on other crap which I didn't need.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Oh yeah, and the local branch of the big electronics chain delivers up to the 2nd closed door in the building, even with the most expensive of their delivery options. So in theory, if I ordered a new washing machine, they would leave it to in my hallway but not carry it the 5 feet to my kitchen if the kitchen door wasn't open.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I had great fun with Argos when getting a wardrobe delivered. Brought a double wardrobe and an extra hanging rail (a metal one the replace the supplied wooden one as reviews said it wasn't very strong).

Two days later a chap in a small van turns up with the wardrobe and delives it, but no spare hanging rail. I contacted argos who then told me that a hanging rail counts as a home accessory item so it was being dealt with by homebase. Had to phone homebase who then told me that the hanging rail was a 2 man delivery item (its less than a meter long and made of some cheap light metal) and I would have to wait longer till a delivery could be arranged.

I tried to cancel but they then said that as the wardrobe and rail were classed as 1 delivery I would have to return the wardrobe as well (which at this point had been set up and in use for a week). In the end, a month and a half later I get a phone call from homebase saying the delivery would be the next day and asking if my road could fit a large vehicle! The next day the chaos starts as an articulated lorry (argos branded) squeezes down my road (which although a fair size, no one was expecting that sort of "large vehicle") and two blokes get out and carry my rail to my door. When I asked as to why it needed two people I was given the simple response "Health and Saftey mate"
  • rick_chasey
    An update.

I called them again, and got someone who said "sure, we can deliver on Saturday". I got an e-mail confirming it and everything. I waited all day on Saturday and it didn't turn up.

Called them on Sunday to ask for an explaination, and they gave me one. " I don't know why my colleague said that, we don't deliver in the weekend".

Anyway, after a bout of perplexed rage, I arranged to then have it delivered on Friday.

Then on Monday, I got home to find none other than a parcel force note, with my name, and that they had left a parcel 'under the stairs'. I figured this would be the parcel since Ikea originally said they'd deliver it on the Monday. To cut a very long story short, there is no parcel, and no-one seems to have signed for anything.

I called parcel force, and they claim they've never delivered anything to my address ever, and given that there are no other details left on the note, they can't do anything.

I called Ikea, and they also say that I need to wait till Friday, since they also haven't sent anything.

So, to conclude: I spent the whole of Saturday waiting for something to come that didn't, a parcelforce deliveryman left a note for fun, and I still haven't got my chest of drawers.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    An update.

I called them again, and got someone who said "sure, we can deliver on Saturday". I got an e-mail confirming it and everything. I waited all day on Saturday and it didn't turn up.

Called them on Sunday to ask for an explaination, and they gave me one. " I don't know why my colleague said that, we don't deliver in the weekend".

Anyway, after a bout of perplexed rage, I arranged to then have it delivered on Friday.

Then on Monday, I got home to find none other than a parcel force note, with my name, and that they had left a parcel 'under the stairs'. I figured this would be the parcel since Ikea originally said they'd deliver it on the Monday. To cut a very long story short, there is no parcel, and no-one seems to have signed for anything.

I called parcel force, and they claim they've never delivered anything to my address ever, and given that there are no other details left on the note, they can't do anything.

I called Ikea, and they also say that I need to wait till Friday, since they also haven't sent anything.

So, to conclude: I spent the whole of Saturday waiting for something to come that didn't, a parcelforce deliveryman left a note for fun, and I still haven't got my chest of drawers.

I'm sorry but I am actually laughing

Love n hugs (and chests of drawers)

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk