Chain getting caught against chainstay

Danny-T
Danny-T Posts: 129
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Having a regular issue on my 2010 Trek Remedy 7 where my chain bounces up and gets wedged between the chainset and chainstay. As the chain leaves the chainset the rotation of pedalling keeps it wedged up there until I pedal backwards a bit to allow it to drop back out. As you can imagine, on a hefty climb this is particularly frustrating not to mention the fact it is totally ruining the chainstay.

I tried sliding the plastic chainstay protector as far forwards as possible in the hope the extra thickness would stop it but I've just ended up destroying it instead :S

I'm thinking some sort of chain guide will do the job but not too sure which would be appropriate "back in my day" all you had to choose was which colour DCD to go with! I'm running the original 3 ring chainset if that narrows down the options. Open to other suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

Comments

• Danny-T
    After a bit of digging around, thinking I might try one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-mtb-chain-catcher/
    k-edge-mtb-catcher-zoom.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's to stop the chain coming off (in theory). You said your chain was bouncing, not coming off.
    Sounds like chainsuck (although Nicklouse has a techie link to what chainsuck really is, so will probably be along in a mo').
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You say this is happening on climbs? Not on the flat or downhill...?
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Hi

It could be a stiff link. I have had this issue before.

The chain follows correctly over the top of the chairing but "hangs on" instead of coming free of the chainring at the bottom to return back to the cassette.

Remove chain and check for any stiff links. If you find one you can gently prise it apart using a flat screw driver, this should help free it up somewhat. Alternatively if you cant get it working correctly, time for a new chain.

Also check your chainring is not damaged, as this could cause the chain to get stuck on the chainring itself. Possible causes of your chainring being damaged are hitting it on stump/ rock, or rock flying up from the front wheel and damaging a tooth.

hope this helps! I know exactly how annoying it can be, especially when climbing or riding with any decent sort of pace.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Danny-T
    @cooldad, yeah the chain isn't coming off, bouncing up into the chainstay, I read that device helps with chainsuck, guess not?

@Arkady001 happens on anything when pedalling, only really noticable on climbs because of how inconvenient it is to stop pedalling and rewind.

@BenS999 could be damaged chainring although it would have been faulty from new as this has happened since I got the bike. Don't think it's a stiff link as this is a new chain which has been degreased and re-lubed and it happened on the previous chain too.

From all the discussions/arguments I've read about "what is chainsuck" it definitely seems like this is a case for it and just this frame is the type which suffers as a consequence (not cause).

Interested in opinions of order of things to check/replace to try and solve it, the difficult part is when the bike is in situ and not being ridden I can't make it happen on demand and only does it when under my bulky load, such is the way eh?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does it mainly happen when you are changing down? If so anticipate and change earlier, and if you are climbing unload the pedals when you shift.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Danny-T
    Doesn't happen specifically during shifting, just often when pedalling particularly over bumpy terrain