Separating Campag 10speed chain - did I make a mistake?

zoid
zoid Posts: 100
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

Yesterday I used a generic link remover to undo my Campag 10 speed chain in preparation for fitting a KMC missing link.

Now I just randomly removed a link, however looking at the chain today I noticed that one of the connecting pins looks slightly different, I'm assuming it must the pin that was used to originally fit and join the chain together.

Should I have removed this pin instead and as I didn't will the chain be compromised in anyway?

Many thanks.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you've done the right thing if Campag chains are the same as Shimano.

They say you should push out any pin except the one used to join the chain in the first place.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    keef66 wrote:
    I think you've done the right thing if Campag chains are the same as Shimano.

They say you should push out any pin except the one used to join the chain in the first place.
    Quite correct.
  • zoid
    zoid Posts: 100
    Thanks for the replies guys, although it sounds counter intuitive to me as logically I’d have thought that if there were to be a weaker link in the chain it would be due to the original joining pin.

Is there a particular reason why it’s advised not to remove it?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Because it is slightly bigger than the original so it stays in the hole. (well it may be a bit more technical than that but that more or less is it)