Changing helmets after a crash

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Should I? I can't be certain that it took a hit, but I have little memory of the actual impact. It certainly looks fine, but is it better to be extra cautious?

Cheers

Comments

• Do you value your head at more than £40, is there even a question here :?:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Check if the manufacturer has a crash replacement policy.

Giro replaced my damaged helmet with a brand new one for free.
  • nation wrote:

Thanks for the info

JR
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you cant remember the crash, you need to replace your helmet even if its not for free.

I had a MET helmet that had no crashes but a long, hard life of multiple drops. One day it just fell apart due to a hairline crack in the polystyrene.
  • I'm pretty certain there was no head impact, but it's better to be safe than sorry I guess. Anyone want to buy a used helmet?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Anyone want to buy a used helmet?

Oi, bin it!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    MichaelW wrote:
    If you cant remember the crash, you need to replace your helmet even if its not for free.

I had a MET helmet that had no crashes but a long, hard life of multiple drops. One day it just fell apart due to a hairline crack in the polystyrene.

Yeah, I had something similar. Was carrying the thing under my arm into the factory after riding to work, heard a faint cracking noise and the whole thing had split into two... I always replace now! Good info about the lifetime policy though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I always replace the helmet after they are knackered by a crash

But to be honest it probably depends on the damage. All most helmets are is a thin plastic skin with a thick layer of polystyrene, and then padding next to the head

Crashing onto the head usually puts a crack in the padding. I would guess if the thin plastic layer is still intact the helmet is probably as effective as it was before.

Helmet makers seem to like the way that any kind of impact causes a crack in the polystyrene layer. I would assume they design them that way so replacement after use in action (or just dropping it ) happens

I am not pro or anti helmets, this is just an observation. So don't go bonkers
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    If you are wearing a helmet because you have faith in its ability to protect you in the event of an accident then it would make sense to replace it if you think that its performance may have been compromised.

Unless the damage is visible (ie a crushed patch of foam), then I'm not sure how you would asess this. I can't see a manufacturer advising you to do anything other than replace it.

Ultimately, it's your call, your cash- if you think that it's worth forking out forty quid (or whatever) for peace of mind (I assume you are worried or you wouldn't have posted) then you should do so- worrying about it will probably be more risky to your health than whether or not you change it.

We are talking about minor changes to very small risks in any event- the absolute risks are below the level at which people are able to assess them qualatively and there isn't enough data to assess them quantitively, so the one thing you can be sure of is that there is no right answer and hence it's probably not worth wasting time looking for it!!

Don't suppose that helps much does it? Sorry!

Cheers,
    W.
  • To be completely honest, I ask because I am getting together my expenses claim after the accident and I was just wondering if charging for a replacement helmet would be reasonable.

Thanks for the thoughts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    As has been alluded to above, part of the reason for replacement in case of an accident, is that it's difficult to tell whether any significant damage has occurred or not. The only way to know for certain would be to test it to destruction - which would obviously leave you without a helmet - so replacement is the only practical option. If you are claiming for other damaged property, then I can't see how adding the helmet to that list would be in any way unreasonable given that it is well known that the standard manufacturer's recommendation is to replace them whether they appear damaged or not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • To be completely honest, I ask because I am getting together my expenses claim after the accident and I was just wondering if charging for a replacement helmet would be reasonable.

Thanks for the thoughts.

If someone else is paying? Of course it's reasonable.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    After an accident then replace. You'll have no quibble from the other party assuming they admit liability. My helmet only suffered a few scuffs, but the third party's insurers paid for a new one as it's standard practice.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    nation wrote:

How does that work in practice? I have a Giro Helmet and there are a couple of cracks in the polysterine near the back.

Do you go direct to Giro or via the retailer?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    t4tomo wrote:
    nation wrote:

How does that work in practice? I have a Giro Helmet and there are a couple of cracks in the polysterine near the back.

Do you go direct to Giro or via the retailer?

When I looked to replace a post crash helmet (not a Giro mind, possibly a Bell), it was a matter of taking it back to the retailer with the receipt. I had no receipt, so got no replacement.

On the plus side, it is sales season!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    some hope of finding a receipt, it must be 5 years old at least.

hand in wallet and trip to sales I think for me.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    5 years old will be past any crash replacement policy...usually a year or two.