Best brakes for a Pompino ?

pastasauce
pastasauce Posts: 221
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I've had enough of the hand-me-down LX cantilever brakes from my old mtb. They're not meant to work with road levers and its about time I fixed it ... !

What do other Pompy owners have and can recommend ?

I use the bike off road a fair bit and it has drop bars/ road levers.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Unfortunately you have to go V or canti. I'm currently running Avid V-brakes with Cane Creek compact levers (v-brake specific). I'd prefer deep drop callipers but they wont work on a Pomp. I wouldn't mind some Paul Component V-brakes but they prob.cost more than the frame. Basically any quality V-brake eg Avid or Shimano
    M.Rushton
  • I've just got some cheap levers.

Do i need v-brake specific ones if i go down that route ?

Whats different ?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm afraid so. It's to do with the cable pull ie the amount of cable pulled by the lever. The V-brake uses more cable - someone with an engineering degree will be along to explain. You can buy levers or the cheaper option is a travel-agent

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=travel ... CB8QzAMwAA

or

http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/brakes.html
    M.Rushton
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I've got Shimano BR550 cantilevers on my P-X kaffenback, work a treat with STI levers and flat bar levers (not v brake levers). Very nicely finished too.

1AG86NXP-kb3.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tektro 520 or 720 cantis are pretty reasonably priced and easy to fit & adjust - any canti that takes a vee-type brake mount is best - post mounts are a right faff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have V's on mine, but i do have strange touring bars. I have heard that one one's own frogs bollox brakes are quite good.

I currently run shimano XTR's with linear BMX cables so there is no power loss. The linear cables have made a huge difference to braking performance. May be worth a try before you reinvest in new brakes.

If you decide to go with V's Tektro do drop bar compatible leaver which is currently at a reasonable price on chain reaction.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I had an Avid Shorty on the front and a Shimano mini-V on the back. Both worked pretty well.