You have to sell your bike!

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited February 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Right, Morgans to all

i have lived in shared accomodaion for a few years and i am now moving in with my fiancee. But i have come up against an issue;

I have 3 bikes, My beloved Specialized Stump Jumper, My adored Quintana Roo Road Bike and an old Trek 980 single track rigid i use for commutting.

Apparently there is no need for 3 bikes and i have to sell one, why? becuase our new place wont have room!

Help i need support on this before i actuaully start to reconsider my proposal to the fair lady!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    basically tell her to fook off, if she loved you she'd take you and your bikes. my gf has accepted the fact that i own 3 bikes, she doesn't really understand why, but she doesn't bitch or try and force me to sellone of them :D
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If she can't understand why you need 3 bikes then she should probably end up in a ditch with her head backwards.
  • Not good. If she is telling you already then there is much more to come.

Situation A could be you sell bike #1, she buys more shoes, too little space, you sell bike #2... and soon she will have plenty of shoes and you will gain weight as you have no bikes to ride. She doesn't dig fatties and you are therefore dumped shortly afterwards.

Situation B could be you say no worries darling I keep them at the nearest Big Yellow storage depot (along with you majestic collection of foreign dvds and retro jazz mags).

If you have been affected by today's discussion then you can call my helpline for invertabrate males on 0845 SPINELESS.

HTH
    :lol:
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Angry Bird wrote:
    If she can't understand why you need 3 bikes then she should probably end up in a ditch with her head backwards.

Sound advice there.
  • Kaise
    fortunately she isnt in to shoes or handbags or clothes, and she doesnt have much stuff, and i think thats the problem, she doesnt understand cycling or owning a collection of things that all have an individual purpose.

I have told her i wont be selling any of them and i think i have stood my ground firmly enough that she knows i mean it.

Worst comes to worst i will makes sure we rent a place that has a second bedroom or an office space that i can but the bike in.

But one thing our discussion over the weekend did make me do, and that was sort my random bike stuff out once and for all,
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    kaiser83 wrote:
    i have lived in shared accomodaion for a few years and i am now moving in with my fiancee.

If you're at that stage then she must have known you've got three bikes, if she's expecting you to change now then I'd be very worried. She's probably the sort of person who expects married life to be completely different just because you've swapped rings and blown shed loads of cash on a drinkathon for the relatives.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why does she need more than one pair of shoes.

PS make sure the Big Yellow storage depot has a good internet connection. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sell the wife to fund new apartment and more bikes!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Hmmm, If there's not room in the new place then either get a shed, or a bigger new place if its some kind of apartment

Although one of these things you own is a road bike so the answer is simple, by telling her straight and keeping all 3, or by getting shot of the road bike, you are manning up, either way you are manning up, so its win win
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i feel your pain mate

my Mrs is like this over one facking bike

"why do you need to spend more money on that bike ?" she says as she goes through her Primark shopping bag

you need to get creative

initially the Mrs said there was "no way" i could keep the bike in the house, until i said that would she have a problem if i found a storage solution that meant she couldnt see the bike ? she said yes, so i cleared out the cupboard under the stairs and now the bike lives there

she still aint happy about the bike, but TBH i dont care, and my bike stays nice and warm in the house

that said, successful living together is about compromise, so you may have to relent and get rid of one...
  • Kaise
    I think the mrs to be will be fine with it, and at the end of the day, we need to be looking for a place with storage anyway, hopefully a garage as then i can turn it in to a gym/bike workshop/storage!

i can only dream!

i mean £75 a month for gym membership or a weight bench and a set of decent weigths that will last well over a year and cost half the price!

and then i will have a place to turbo train!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Right, Morgans to all

i have lived in shared accomodaion for a few years and i am now moving in with my fiancee. But i have come up against an issue;

I have 3 bikes, My beloved Specialized Stump Jumper, My adored Quintana Roo Road Bike and an old Trek 980 single track rigid i use for commutting.

Apparently there is no need for 3 bikes and i have to sell one, why? becuase our new place wont have room!

Help i need support on this before i actuaully start to reconsider my proposal to the fair lady!

Just show her my post in cake stop, what has cycling done for you.

She'll be grateful for your 3 bikes then.

Love n hugs.

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    bike 1 lounge
    bike 2 kitchen
    bike 3 bedroom
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    kaiser83 wrote:
    I have told her i wont be selling any of them and i think i have stood my ground firmly enough that she knows i mean it.

in my experiance if you only think you stood your ground you didnt :P

i put my foot down once, mrs maks stamped on it :twisted:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i wouldnt let your bird tell you what to do with your own stuff, it is a slippery slope that starts at bikes and ends up with you getting your back waxed or something else equally castrating.

every time she tells you to do something, tell her "dont tell me what to do" and if she continues, give her option one (her, in a ditch, with her head pointing backwards)

men need to be more manly i would say
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    simple simple simple

Do what i did - convince your partner she needs a bike too and take her on a few rides that are just a tiny bit too much for her entry level ride.

Gets you brownie points when you buy her a few upgrades for her bike, and she then understands how much stuff costs and why you NEED that new shiny bit or extra bike.

slainte :D rob
  • pHz wrote:
    simple simple simple

Do what i did - convince your partner she needs a bike too and take her on a few rides that are just a tiny bit too much for her entry level ride.

Gets you brownie points when you buy her a few upgrades for her bike, and she then understands how much stuff costs and why you NEED that new shiny bit or extra bike.

slainte :D rob

Far too expensive, just beat her with a stout walking-stick and tell her to get back to the effin' kitchen...
  • Kaise
    dear oh dear
    ends up with you getting your back waxed or something else equally castrating.

something says this might have happened to you at some point

I have tired to get he in to cycling and i am affraid the answer is a strict no, she just doesnt enjoy it, but part of me is glad as it means she wont try heading out on my rides and stuff, it my time to clear my head, fall off and generally have so careless fun!
    Just show her my post in cake stop, what has cycling done for you.

this is something she already knows!
  • sheepsteeth
    kaiser83 wrote:
    dear oh dear

not a blinking chance, wife RE is far too fond of her head pointing the right way.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DCR00 wrote:

initially the Mrs said there was "no way" i could keep the bike in the house, until i said that would she have a problem if i found a storage solution that meant she couldnt see the bike ? she said yes, so i...
    Poked her in the eyes?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    kaiser83 wrote:
    dear oh dear

not a blinking chance, wife RE is far too fond of her head pointing the right way.

And his back waxing is all done along with the sack and crack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    cooldad wrote:
    kaiser83 wrote:
    dear oh dear

i dont need the waxing though, i come off the bike too often which ensures i have no hair alot of the time!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cooldad wrote:
    kaiser83 wrote:
    dear oh dear

No, I believe he's what's known in some circles as a 'bear'...
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bails87 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    kaiser83 wrote:
    dear oh dear

No, I believe he's what's known in some circles as a 'bear'...

As long as the two of you enjoyed your Brokeback Mountain moments...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The CELLAR is my answer ,she does not venture down there,for are lurking bikes n spares n projects n landdrover bits that multiply.!!!!!
    One Life Live It!
    p.turner77@btinternet.com
  • sheepsteeth
    kaiser83 wrote:

i dont need the waxing though, i come off the bike too often which ensures i have no hair alot of the time!

we should start a club!!

as it happens i am bald as an eg apart from the top of my head and around my c0ck and balls, its embarrassing, i dont even need to shave every day!