Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre - UST 26 x 2.5 - 60a - Any good?

joejoe
joejoe Posts: 130
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I run a hardtail with a 140mm fork for general trail use. I have Crossmax ST wheels and normally run 2.25 Nobby Nics for trail use.

When doing any rocky decents at more downhill orientated trail centres the hardtail is a bit of a nightmare with the amount of rear wheel rattling.

I have a plan....buy a pair of fat tyres (the high roller 2.5s are on discount at crc) which will in theory act as rear suspension when ran with low air pressure for the descents.

Has anyone used these tyres for trail use? I guess they are more of a downhill tyre because of their weight (over a kilo each!) but are they REALLY bad on the ups?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Dog296
    Dog296 Posts: 84
    I've be pushed away from the High Roller DH tyres, and pushed towards the XC High roller, or Panaracer Fire, or Cinders.
    White Bikes, make the best bikes.

2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro!
  • joejoe
    Thanks for the post - I can only find the XC version in smaller sizes - I specifically want fatter tyres for better shock absorption. Any other ideas?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    You won't go uphill with 2.5 dual plys on, well not at any pace.

Maxxis tyres come up a a little on the small side as well, do a search been covered before.

I fitted a continental rubber queen 2.2 to the back of my hardtail to soften it up and comes up the same size as the Nobby Nic 2.4 which I have on the front. The rubber queen is also a taller tyre and takes the sting out the hits which should suit you.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    kenan wrote:

Not sure about that one, I know someone that can thrash a lot of XC wippets on his HT with dual plys and heavy wheels etc. He is a bit of a god though :lol:

It sounds like you aren't riding smooth enough to me. I used to get rattled around a lot on mine but I took a tip from Northwind and slowed down a bit to focus on smoothing out the ride and get my lines right and after a bit, I sped up again and hey presto, was even quicker than before and was a lot smoother.

I can prove it works sine before I did this I went and did some of the black at Glentress with a 2.5 High Roller on the back but I recently went and did it again but with a 2.35 Minion at higher pressure and I was skipping about all over the place less and I was a lot quicker
  • joejoe
    Thanks for the ideas. Peter - I'm sure my technique is not perfect but TBH I seldom get to visit decent trail centres so want to make the most of it when I am there and going fast as possible is usually what happens! Last time at Afan I did the Wall trail and was fine on the ups but got cramp from the bumpy decents so a Rubber Queen might help as someone else suggested.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    peter413 wrote:
    kenan wrote:

Not sure about that one, I know someone that can thrash a lot of XC wippets on his HT with dual plys and heavy wheels etc. He is a bit of a god though :lol:

Well I know chuck norris :P

I know what your saying the rider is a big consideration but the extra weight and drag the the high rollers will make a noticable change to the bike. I used to ride with a big group and was near the back, changed my high rollers and was near the front on the next ride.