Andyb10
Andyb10 Posts: 126
edited April 2011 in Your road bikes
?action=view&current=P1010633.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You could do with a longer seatpost.
  • [/img]http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/Andybarter10/?action=view&current=P1010633.jpg

put a direct click link rather than having to cut n paste in the address bar!

very very nice! i wish people would keep posting bikes like these as it keep igniting my taste for one! :wink:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    edited February 2011
    P1010633.jpg

Nice. Wish I could ride a saddle to drop height like that.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mmmm very nice indeed. No problems looking over the fence I guess. :)
  • Awesome piece of kit you have there! 8)

In one way I'd love to try one, on the other hand I think I'm best staying well away from an S3!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    The down tube sure is cunkey!
    That is a very large drop from seat to bars.

And those wheels are awesome!

I was thinking of trading my Carbone SL in for Carbone SR.
    How do you find the front wheel for stiffness? I find the SL a little flexable, but it seems im the only person with this opinion. What do you think?
  • Andyb10
    Have had to change the drop from seat to bars a bit since this was taken as it was a little too radical for my back!!

Wheels are stiff enough if a little heavy feeling.Roll well when up to speed though.

Love Dura Ace tho feels really postive with smooth quick changes.

btw its also got 3T Ltd Ergo bars and stem - expensive but v light. Can't wait for weathe to improve and get some decent miles in.

Also have one of the last R3 SLs (2008) in the old CSC colous. That is really light and noticeably comfier. Always wanted an S3 or SLC though as just love the styling.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......lovely......................
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    S3's are lush. Cosmic Carbone's are lush. But ridiculous amount of seatpost + pointy up stem + spacers.... am i the only one thinking it's at least a size too small???

Out of curiosity, what size is the frame and how tall are you/leg inseam?
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Long legs, short torso?
  • EKIMIKE
    Saddle rammed right back too.... that doesn't add up with long legs/short torso.

Not meaning to be critical, it's just an observation. By all means it's a lovely build.

As someone who has long legs and a short torso i understand why such set-ups are necessary (i ride about 12/13cm saddle - bar drop). Just certain things seems odd in this case. The saddle particularly.

From a fit point of view, if he has long legs and the picture shows the correct saddle height in relation to his inseam then moving the saddle down to counter back pain would be counter-intuitive. That would simply lead to knee problems and lack of power. The solution is to raise the bars - move the stem up. OR move the saddle forward.
  • EKIMIKE
    If you look at Cervelo S3 geo chart - Top-tube goes up in 2cm increments and Head-tube also in 2cm increments.

The way i see it, a longer top-tube would be countered by moving the saddle forward and/or a 1cm shorter stem (perfectly feasible given current stem length). Assuming Seat-tube would increase by 2cm that would be 2cm less seatpost poking out. Crucially, the Head-tube being 2cm taller would do either of 1) raise the bars 2) eliminate the spacers 3) allow the stem to be flipped.

In his case, 1) the higher bars may eliminate the back issue, 2) less spacers = stiffer front end and 3) simply aesthetic (not too important).
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    that is one sweeeeeeet ride !
    Zipps instead of the Mavics (though thats just my preference :D )
  • Anonymous
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    simply aesthetic (not too important).

What?! Have you been smoking crack again?! Not too important?! :shock:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nice bike! But less of the glass-cranking alright!? ;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • EKIMIKE
    LOL you know what i mean. I'd rather not have to stop after 20 miles with chronic back ache only to think 'thank f*ck my stem is in the 'proper' position, damn it looks great'. It would be like screwing a hot chick with herpes....

....but if you must then i guess back ache is better than nob rot.
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh
  • Andyb10
    Long legs - 35, short torso and longish arms

Frame is a 56 same as my R3 and have made a few adjustments since this was taken. Raised bars, less seatpost and moved saddle. Much better now as its closer to my R3 on which I don't suffer from pain.

First bike was a Spesh Allez 58 and just found it way to much of a stretch.

Mind you I'm not getting any younger and have just started going to osteopath. Not just back pain apparently, was getting leg and knee pain on right hand side, which was all interlinked. Was okay for whole of summer and it just started this winter. I think it's something to do with the position of the cleats on my winter shoes. Have re-set them to a neutral position again and will give that a go - once the weather gets better!!
  • EKIMIKE
    Interesting - i have a 35inch inseam too and ride a 57cm Bianchi and a 56cm Canyon. For reference my saddle height (Centre of BB to top of Saddle) is 79.5cm and i run 110cm stems. I tend to have the saddle more forward than back too. Likewise a 58cm would just be too much reach.

Strangely i've found recently that moving my bars down has been more comfortable (i am 19 though so maybe a little less creaky :lol: ). Some things are worth trying even if they turn out not to suit you! I've also found that the most minor tilt adjustments on the saddle can make a great difference to back issues. It's amazing how big problems can come from such tiny elements.

I've re-attached my cleats at the wrong angle in the past and my knee hurt for a good week. I'll never make that mistake again. Good luck solving your aches and pains.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    I want one..............thats the only bike I would swap my current RS for!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    P1010633.jpg

Nice. Wish I could ride a saddle to drop height like that.

Thats one loverly ride, fancy swapping.....
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Interesting - i have a 35inch inseam too and ride a 57cm Bianchi and a 56cm Canyon. For reference my saddle height (Centre of BB to top of Saddle) is 79.5cm and i run 110cm stems. I tend to have the saddle more forward than back too. Likewise a 58cm would just be too much reach.

Strangely i've found recently that moving my bars down has been more comfortable (i am 19 though so maybe a little less creaky :lol: ). Some things are worth trying even if they turn out not to suit you! I've also found that the most minor tilt adjustments on the saddle can make a great difference to back issues. It's amazing how big problems can come from such tiny elements.

I've re-attached my cleats at the wrong angle in the past and my knee hurt for a good week. I'll never make that mistake again. Good luck solving your aches and pains.
    I have very similar measurements, if I was a domestique on your team I could give you my bike when you crash yours:
    Inseam = 88 cms
    BB to Saddle top = 79.5 cms
    BB to Saddle nose setback = 6.5-7 cms
    Saddle nose to bar center = 55.5 cms
    Saddle top to bar drop = 9 cms
    Stem = 12 cms
    Frame size = 56cm R3SL

For Andy B10, I recommend something in the 79-80 cm range with a 7cm BB to saddle nose set back. Of course it all depends on your foot size and thigh to shin ratio, etc etc. But overall get the pelvis position correct (talking about top-of-the-stroke-thigh-angle and pelvis tilt as well. Then the arms will follow from there.

Best thing about nailing your position is you know when you have it. You're stronger and you just feel perfect like the bike was made for you. You'll wonder if it's the recent training block that's paying off, or if you got the right blood bag from your doctor. You'll feel like you can pedal all day whereas before you just wanted to stop for an espresso around the next corner.

If it helps, the Retul guy told me to get into a position where I can fire my glute muscles and extend the power down my leg into my big toe, in a very connected way. Which it is b/c it's the same leg (duh) but he was talking about firing the muscle to extend the leg and press through on the toes. I thought he was nuts. He was jamming his finger really painfully into the top of my glute just below my lower back while I was pedaling, but after 10 strokes I got what we was taking about. Next day, on a 45 min climb, trying out the new position, i totally got what he was on about and did a decent time on the mtn route i do yearly in Mallorca.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.