Ridiculous compensation claiming

cyclingpast
cyclingpast Posts: 111
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm not saying claiming compensation is wrong (I'm going through a compensation claim myself after a nasty collision in November) but this is just ridiculous: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12581736
Giant Defy 3
FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited February 2011
    Don't know the full story but I'm glad he got given less than originally offered, especially after asking for 1 million.
  • I'm not saying claiming compensation is wrong (I'm going through a compensation claim myself after a nasty collision in November) but this is just ridiculous: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12581736

sounds quite nasty, to be fair so i'm not suprised really.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    He must be feeling gutted as the insurer offered him £18k and he turned it down. Now he will face a demand from the other side to pay their costs as he took them to court and got less than they offered. From the article he seems a total nutter. Why would you take a bicycle on the Tube? I didn't think bikes were allowed.

£41k spent on ready meals :shock: That's a f*ck of a lot of ready meals ............

And £300k for a lost opportunity in the gaming industry :lol: !!! Me thinks this chap spends too much of his time slobbing on the sofa playing on his PS3 and ordering ready meals and pizza. I'm surprised the judge didn't throw his whole case out. Got to question the judgement of the solicitor allowing their client to bring such a vexatious claim?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Is it me or is there something slightly wrong in the bit that says he 'suffered from disabling osteoarthritus'??

Just having a bit of a jippy back some days is enough to stop me from cycling, so osteoarthritus would put me and most come to that matter off cycling at all, especially if it is 'disabling'
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Bikes are allowed on some sections of the Tube but only outside peak hours M-F. There's even a map!

(in PDF) http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... cles1b.pdf
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I'd love to know when that map was put in place, and whether it's still the one in use by TFL staf, given that the old East London Line shows up on this map but not any of the new London Overground extensions. Arguably they're not London Underground, but (for example) Shoreditch to Whitechapel is not a replacement bus service, and hasn't been since April 2010...
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    If I was grabbed in the underground I'd want compensation too. :P

Nope, I'm not surprised and he deserves every penny.

He was assaulted by a ticket collecting Muppet probably with an IQ lower than the famed stuffed puppets.

I once despised compensation culture, I now promote it every chance I get.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    AndyManc wrote:
    If I was grabbed in the underground I'd want compensation too. :P

Nope, I'm not surprised and he deserves every penny.

He was assaulted by a ticket collecting Muppet probably with an IQ lower than the famed stuffed puppets.

Aw, I missed you :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • AndyManc
    dhope wrote:

Aw, I missed you :roll:

+1 :roll:

It's a Sunday night , there is **** all on TV and I'm sick of cheating b******* 12yr old's beating me on Call of Duty on the PS3 :twisted:

So I've spent the evening buying goodies on tinternet and my searching brought me back here .

The economic downturn has brought about some great bargains ... which is nice, for those of us that still have a job and aren't being used as slave labour as they see their colleagues disappear one by one.

Rant alert ...rant alert :roll: ......... anyhoo , back to the PS3 , those American ****** should be online now :x

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    AndyManc wrote:

Why? You're paying for it. Or do you think the money comes from the clouds?
  • dhope
    W1 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

You expect reason from trolls?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • W1
    dhope wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Ah, apologies. Another one for the list.
  • dhope
    W1 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

To be fair, I'm not sure he realises he's a troll, it's just constant vitriol
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • AndyManc
    dhope wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Ah, I forgot what a condescending f***w** you are.

Those that are incapable of responding in a reasoned manner often excuse their ignorance by tagging posters as trolls, what a sad pathetic individual you are.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    dhope wrote:

Thanks for proving my point.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    W1 wrote:

And you're another one to add to my list of air headed Muppets that have a delusional air of superiority .

URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Thanks for proving my point.

AndyManc wrote:
    And you're another one to add to my list of air headed Muppets that have a delusional air of superiority .

:lol:

Also, 'the cyclist', BBC? Do you really have to?
  • dhope
    AndyManc wrote:
    Those that are incapable of responding in a reasoned manner often excuse their ignorance by tagging posters as trolls, what a sad pathetic individual you are.

Reasoned manner? In two posts you came up with
    and
    The economic downturn has brought about some great bargains ... which is nice, for those of us that still have a job and aren't being used as slave labour as they see their colleagues disappear one by one.

And definition of a troll 'is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community'

Reason enough to label you one?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The allegedly asking for £1million is a deliberate misleading thing by lazy journalists

On a court claims form you have to say what band your claim comes into - ie you limit the maximum band by saying the claim is worth less than £x (the court rules set the band).

What will have happened here is the £1million limit will have been referred to.

I have a claim at the moment where the band specified is I believe £25,000. There is no way I will get more than £5,000- £10,000 but the band are very broad and the £25k band is the one it falls in. It does not mean I am asking for £25k

That is not to say that a lot of this claim appears to be spurious and without justification.

I'd hazard a guess that the claimant was a litigant in person
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • AndyManc
    dhope wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

and

And definition of a troll 'is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community'

You know you're a **** , and you also know I'm not the first on this forum to call you one.

My 'off topic' issues were in direct response to your sarcastic comment aimed at me, the content of my post was for your benefit explaining my absence from the forum, just because my post included topical issues doesn't make me a troll.

If you find my initial comments inflammatory then you have lived a very sheltered existence, I'll voice my views in the way I see fit.

Any individual that assaults a member of the public whilst under the employ of a public service company clearly is not fit for purpose.
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    AndyManc wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

and

You know you're a **** , and you also know I'm not the first on this forum to call you one.

My 'off topic' issues were in direct response to your sarcastic comment aimed at me, the content of my post was for your benefit explaining my absence from the forum, just because my post included topical issues doesn't make me a troll.

If you find my initial comments inflammatory then you have lived a very sheltered existence, I'll voice my views in the way I see fit.

Any individual that assaults a member of the public whilst under the employ of a public service company clearly is not fit for purpose.

Oh AndyManc, it's like you've never been away.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If the employee of a public service was the cyclist and the other guy a car owner, he'd (AndyManc) expect compensation for the employee :wink:
  • W1
    AndyManc wrote:
    W1 wrote:

So you're not going to answer my question then.
  • dhope
    AndyManc wrote:
    You are actually, maybe you're confusing me with someone else, you do manage to bring out the sarcastic ****iness in people. It's possible people talk about me behind their back and indeed I have noticed a hush in the Morpeth when I arrive and conversations hurriedly shifting to something bike related instead. :cry:
    If you find my initial comments inflammatory...
    Again, you're getting confused, mistaking my being facetious for giving a shit.

Anyways, less of the online gaming with the cheating 12yr old Americans, they're not great with sarcasm either and may have dulled your undoubtedly once razor sharp wit.

Bad Dhope, DNFTT! Go get lunch instead.
    Mmmmm, lunch, om nom nom
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    IMHO - Chancer....

**on-topic!
  • dhope
    gtvlusso wrote:
    **on-topic!
    Pfft, show off
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    spen666 wrote:
    The allegedly asking for £1million is a deliberate misleading thing by lazy journalists

On a court claims form you have to say what band your claim comes into - ie you limit the maximum band by saying the claim is worth less than £x (the court rules set the band).

What will have happened here is the £1million limit will have been referred to.

I have a claim at the moment where the band specified is I believe £25,000. There is no way I will get more than £5,000- £10,000 but the band are very broad and the £25k band is the one it falls in. It does not mean I am asking for £25k

That is not to say that a lot of this claim appears to be spurious and without justification.

I'd hazard a guess that the claimant was a litigant in person

Spen - it was my impression the case was heard in the High Court hence the High Court Judge according to the BBC report. There had been a previous hearing. You wouldn't get a litigant in person in the High Court would you? Certainly not able to represent themselves with the medical conditions he was claiming for? Bizarre.
    Deputy Judge Satinder Hunjan had previously ruled LU should compensate Mr Spektor for neck and back injuries and for an anxiety disorder which stopped him going out in the dark.

But on Friday the High Court judge decided his claims were "excessive and exaggerated" and awarded Mr Spektor £11,925.

Mr Spektor - his name is enough to make you wonder given the nature of his claim, Mr.Speculator :wink: .

SPECTRE
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oh I so want to get involved in this thread right now but I can't....

In short, I think Spen666 is right.

I've never made a claim for compensation, in fact I have but nothing major as nothing major has happend to me to want to make a claim and go through the stress of the process.

However, if there was such a need cleaners would likely get involved as that's where I'd be taking them. I often get irked by the self-righteous who preach about compensation culture, greed and believe that if you've been wronged - by which you entitled to compensation - you shouldn't make a claim but instead be 'British' stiffen the lip and shake hands.

F-that, that persons ignorant/mistake filled actions have affected a life too the point that the inconvienence has taken a financial toll on their ability to live life. The person needs to pay!

I see compensation as I see a sentence you need to take responsibility for your actions and paying for your supposed misactions that has either damaged or endangered property or life is, in my opinion, a form of justice. Equally the person making the claim needs to take responsibility in making the claim, they are by extension also affecting a life, how much the victim cares is subjective to them and regulated by rational thought, advice given or by law.

Still, how much compensation is subjective to the individual. Yes too much or too little can be identified. But it isn't my place to tell a person what is too much or too little unless I'm the person paying or giving advice. I told ilPrince to claim for damage to the bezel of his very nice watch following his accident as was his right. It's his decision to do so, find out and decide how much.

We have to protect ourselves in all cases and I guess at the root humans are self serving to benefit themselves (and loved ones), which is part of the reason I suspect we often seek compensation in the first place.

£1million seems silly on paper but then with more foresight as Spen explains its only part of the story.

Wow, five minutes, I type fast.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I often get irked by the self-righteous who preach about compensation culture, greed and believe that if you've been wronged - by which you entitled to compensation - you shouldn't make a claim but instead be 'British' stiffen the lip and shake hands.

"Compensation" and "compensation culture" aren't the same thing. There are plenty of people who deserve to be compensated due to others' actions (although how effective that compensation is is another matter). But then there are those (like the chancer in discussion here) who think that they are entitled to £1m and come up with all sorts of loony reasons why. Sometimes they win, big time. Which encourages others to do the same, and so on.

If we want to go the way of the US - where everyone sues everyone, for everything, then fine, it's us who pay for it at the end of the day. Or it means that, due to insurance costs, ridiculous restrictions or bans are put in place, events cancelled etc etc, all due to the perceived threat of litigation. And that's rather pathetic, and is due to cowboy lawyers and greedy vexatious claimants rather than any actual threat or risk.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    W1 wrote:

If we want to go the way of the US - where everyone sues everyone, for everything, then fine, it's us who pay for it at the end of the day. Or it means that, due to insurance costs, ridiculous restrictions or bans are put in place, events cancelled etc etc, all due to the perceived threat of litigation. And that's rather pathetic, and is due to cowboy lawyers and greedy vexatious claimants rather than any actual threat or risk.

Do they though? It's always taken as read that this is the case, but I wonder if anyone has anything to back it up, or whether it's just another little story we tell ourselves to make us feel superior. With a population of 307 million, many of which are extremely poor, I doubt that many people - as a proportion - are actually making exaggerated and unnecessary claims. Ditto in this country; the few claims that are made tend to make the news, whereas the majority of reasonable claims don't skewing our perception - although that perception has probably led to over-cautiousness.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition