How long should my chain be?

ryan93
ryan93 Posts: 186
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.

I've just fitted a new drivechain to my bike, but the chain looks like it is really slack and could do with having some links removed. I've got Shimano SLX cranks and cassette, 36/22t and 11/32t (9 spd) and I'm using a Shimano HG-73 chain which already has one link knocked out to fit a SRAM powerlink.
The box gave the total number of links to be 114, but I'm not sure if there should be slightly fewer links because it is 2x9.

Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited February 2011
    wrap it round your big chainring and biggest ring on your cassette without going through the rear derailleur and add 2 links.

chain.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    around the big rings plus on full link. subject to it being an HT.

as mentioned in the instructions that come with most chains and can be found on parktools/srams/shimanos webbys.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    Thanks guys, I'll do that when I get home. It's a full sus Nick, does that have any impact on how many links I should add or which rings it should be ran between?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What Northern Monkey said.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ryan93 wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'll do that when I get home. It's a full sus Nick, does that have any impact on how many links I should add or which rings it should be ran between?
    if your frame design has chain grow you may need a link more.

remove shock and see how the chain length changes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Just my opinion but I would also include the rear mech when you are working out the chain length.

The big-big combo on a 3x9 setup is hardly every going to be used but big-big on a 2x9 is essential.

The mech is supposed to be nearly horizontal at full extension but some of them are not happy being stretched like this and a few extra links can save you a lot of grief.