Altura Night Vision Evo jacket @ £70.00 good value for mtb?

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking for a waterproof jacket for mtbing. This jacket is reviewed as a commuter jacket - what relevance does that have in relation to mtb.
My use for the jacket will be to wear it from the start of a ride if it looks like it is going to rain. Rarely set off when raining - maybe jacket will make me do this.
Would like to fold it up and put in Mule back pack and take out when it rains.
I don't fall off which will give you an idea of my style - slow and steady :)

I usually wear a base layer and HH fleece and find I am warm enough in cold weather. Prepared to buy a mid layer instead of fleece to go with waterproof jacket.

I don't really like tight fitting jackets and prefer them to be longer at the back so water does not go down my builders bum.....

Is £70 good value for this (red) jacket?

Also I was interested in Tyres and see that many mention Maxis Ardents or Minions. When I picked these up, both tyres did not list wet or mud as suitable! I thought they were good all rounders.

Comments

• Hi Tower Rider

Ive got the Altura Night Vision Jacket which seems to be the fore runner of the Evo. The NV is a good jacket, functional and light, waterproof and windproof.Has done well all through this winter up in Scotland and the only thing that I dont like about it is the absense of hand pockets in the front, there only being one pocket top left. The EVO has solved this problem so will definitely be my next MTB jacket. Having said that, mine has plenty of life left.

I machine washed it once but probably wont do that again as the reflective tape shows signs of not liking it......hand wash next time I think.

Good value at £70 for sure... :)
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • i've got an altura night vision jacket, i believe it's the year prior to the one you're looking at, and mine does have front pockets... :s

it's a good jacket, and could probably replace the fleece altogether.
  • NV evo is a very good jacket and looks really smart in cherry red
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    NV is a good jacket but a wee bit boil in the bag... TBH most jackets are, I've got a lovely Altura Attack jacket frinstance and it's about as breathable as they come but I still only wear it on cold days, it's just too hot otherwise. My old Nightvision was hotter and sweatier.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have this jacket and mine does have pockets each side. Got it this Christmas although I can't say if it was the newest model. I got it mainly for commuting as when I ride off road I get hot and no amount of promised breathability is gonna make me comfortable.

I think it is a nice well made jacket and has kept me dry in some heavy rain. Came with a free night glow stick thingy on the back velcro bit which is good for my commute.
  • Cheers guys/ladies
    Sold it to me then, will get Evans to price match at £70 tomorrow. Was concerned about 'commuter' jacket.