Libya

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Will Gadaffi fall quickly or do you think it will become a protrcted civil war?

I think it'll be over in a fortnight but it will be bloody.

The demonstrators have my utmost respect/admiration for their bravery.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I hope that Gadafi's loyalists will realise which way the wind is blowing and abandon the bloodthirsty swine to his fate.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    It's bloody already...

Iraq's made the west slow to respond, which is a big shame. You'd have thought they'd have learned from Bosnia and Kosovo, but I guess most people who were involved in that have since retired...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Iraq's made the west slow to respond...

Really? Who do you think started that? You need look no further than Langley.
  • rick_chasey

??
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    One thing is for sure...Gadaffi will never be tried for war crimes. He will die with his regime. And it won't take long.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm wondering if what comes out of the other end of this is better or worse. I suspect it'll be worse.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

??

?? Me too. Please explain. Tommy Langley? Langley, Berkshire? :?
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm wondering if what comes out of the other end of this is better or worse. I suspect it'll be worse.

Agree, better the devil you know - strange tho that the 'west' always interferes with the politics of those countries rich in oil, yet Mugabe - Zimbabwe, who cares?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282

??

?? Me too. Please explain. Tommy Langley? Langley, Berkshire? :?

http://www.kingslangley.org.uk/

A hotbed of international subterfuge.

Or maybe https://www.cia.gov/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Gadaffi could always see out his days in Scotland ................
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    dilemna wrote:

Day(S)? :lol:
  • TMR
    SheffSimon wrote:

Indeed. Overthrowing foreign Governments, executing their Commander-in-Chief, and generally meddling where they shouldn't since 1947.
  • iainf72
    dilemna wrote:

Perhaps BP or Shell could buy him an island?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Perhaps BP or Shell could buy him an island?

He could afford to buy an archipelago ...........

Devils' Island?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • brin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Agree, better the devil you know - strange tho that the 'west' always interferes with the politics of those countries rich in oil, yet Mugabe - Zimbabwe, who cares?

Oil is a little bit important dont you think?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    SheffSimon wrote:

Indeed. Overthrowing foreign Governments, executing their Commander-in-Chief, and generally meddling where they shouldn't since 1947.

Ah. I see.
  • You'd have thought they'd have learned from Bosnia and Kosovo, but I guess most people who were involved in that have since retired...

Retired? Not necessarily, however there are processes to follow. It isn't just a Jon Wayne case of going in guns blazing, ask questions later.

There is a lot of process to go through first.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    You'd have thought they'd have learned from Bosnia and Kosovo, but I guess most people who were involved in that have since retired...

Retired? Not necessarily, however there are processes to follow. It isn't just a Jon Wayne case of going in guns blazing, ask questions later.

What? ? Like trying to get a UN resolution but not getting a UN resolution and just saying fukk it we'll invade anyway. Sounds like a john wayne flick to me.

If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow

All these middle East revolutions have happened really quickly and the US and UK forces are overstretched in Afganistan. We couldn't commit armed forces even if we wanted.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    North Africa is not going to be very west friendly very soon IMO. Sometimes it's better the devil you know and I fear Libya, Tunisia, Egypt etc are about to find that out. Iran sending war ships through the Suez is a deliberate act to wind up the Israeli's and a thumbing of the nose towards the USA. Iran will try and influence all of these Islamic nations helping some mad extremist into power. It will then be impossible to get rid of them.

On the bright side, that old rusting pushbike at the back of the shed will suddenly rise in value when we can't afford to buy fuel for the car anymore.

Oh and surely Tony Bliar's knighthood has surely gone for a burton with all the revelations being revealed?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    And Libya is still a member of the UN Human Rights Council.

Seems strafing your citizens is seen as OK.
  • Perhaps he wants his plutonium back from Doc Brown.
  • rick_chasey
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    You'd have thought they'd have learned from Bosnia and Kosovo, but I guess most people who were involved in that have since retired...

What? ? Like trying to get a UN resolution but not getting a UN resolution and just saying fukk it we'll invade anyway. Sounds like a john wayne flick to me.

All these middle East revolutions have happened really quickly and the US and UK forces are overstretched in Afganistan. We couldn't commit armed forces even if we wanted.

That's not what I mean. The UN machinary is too slow, and it is as risk of not even working because China have vested interest in Gadaffi and have made that quite clear.

What I mean is that a quick intervention to perhaps prevent airplanes bombing civilians - that kind of thing. I'm not talking about an invasion.

The consensus after Kosovo was that the Western response was too slow and most of the damage had been done already. The consensus on Rwanda was that the UN was a) too slow and b) far far too ineffective.

As for the forces being overstreched - that was half my point...

There are times when the UN is useful - and times when it is not. When things kick off quickly and brutally, it's usually used as a scapegoat or excuse for a lack of intervention.

"What? We were doing through the UN - what more do you want?"

That the UK finds it OK to fully invade two nations that are obstensibly stable, yet won't offer brief, short lived defence against massive war crimes is bizzare.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PeteMadoc wrote:

That's not what I mean. The UN machinary is too slow, and it is as risk of not even working because China have vested interest in Gadaffi and have made that quite clear.

What I mean is that a quick intervention to perhaps prevent airplanes bombing civilians - that kind of thing. I'm not talking about an invasion.

The consensus after Kosovo was that the Western response was too slow and most of the damage had been done already. The consensus on Rwanda was that the UN was a) too slow and b) far far too ineffective.

As for the forces being overstreched - that was half my point...

There are times when the UN is useful - and times when it is not. When things kick off quickly and brutally, it's usually used as a scapegoat or excuse for a lack of intervention.

"What? We were doing through the UN - what more do you want?"

That the UK finds it OK to fully invade two nations that are obstensibly stable, yet won't offer brief, short lived defence against massive war crimes is bizzare.

Maybe a short but regrettably, bloody revolution is what libya needs for its long term future and the mandarins at the Foreign office realise this.

Fortunately we cannot police the world, nor tell countries how to be, our forces and means are stretched as it is. Sanctions mean nothing to Col Gaddaffi, he has never cared what anyone thinks anyway, and up until recent times has courted terror groups quite happily. Nobody is putting weapons in the rebels hands, they are picking them up and acting on repressed decades of feelings.

The UN is fairly slow burning and reactions are not good, look at Rwanda and how the Dutch troops were curtailed at Srebernica.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    just look at how many un resolutions israel is continually in breach of, where is the will to do anything there?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Anonymous
    mattshrops wrote:
    just look at how many un resolutions israel is continually in breach of, where is the will to do anything there?

Israel writes its own mandate and quite rightly so. Israel has balls and i admire israel greatly.
  • TMR
    dmclite wrote:
    Israel writes its own mandate and quite rightly so. Israel has balls and i admire israel greatly.

If Israel didn't have US support, I'm sure their attitude towards their neighbours would be very different.
  • Anonymous
    dmclite wrote:

If Israel didn't have US support, I'm sure their attitude towards their neighbours would be very different.

Israels neighbours have been systematically trying to wipe out Israel for decades. After the Holocaust I think all gloves are off are far as the founding and maintaining of Israel.
  • iainf72
    dmclite wrote:

Israels neighbours have been systematically trying to wipe out Israel for decades. After the Holocaust I think all gloves are off are far as the founding and maintaining of Israel.

But their neighbours haven't been acting collaboratively and this has benefited Israel. If they all "ganged up" (as it were) it would be a different story and this is one of the dangers of the changes in the middle east. Lots of crackpots doing their own thing is one thing, but a few crackpots teaming up is something else entirely.
  • TMR
    dmclite wrote:

The holocaust has no place in this discussion IMHO.

The fact is that Israel occupies land that doesn't belong to it. We're to blame for that.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

But their neighbours haven't been acting collaboratively and this has benefited Israel. If they all "ganged up" (as it were) it would be a different story and this is one of the dangers of the changes in the middle east. Lots of crackpots doing their own thing is one thing, but a few crackpots teaming up is something else entirely.

Interesting. Why do you label them 'crackpots'?