Nevegal DTC and Mountain King tires front or rear

DoubleHelix
DoubleHelix Posts: 18
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
I was able to get a Nevegal DTC 2.1 and a Continental Mountain King 2.2 off a friend for free. I am not sure which to mount front and rear.

Looking around it seems beneficial to have a wider nobby tire up front. They are both the same width so I was thinking of the Nevegal up front.

I have read the Nevegal DTC performs really well on the rear also...

Comments

• Play around with them and see what combo best matches your riding style and the conditions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Is the Mountain King one of the black chili versions? If it is then it'll be passable on the front and good on the rear for general work, if it's not then it'll be horrible on the front, just about good enough on the back but mainly good in the bin.

Likewise if the Nevegal is the folding model and isn't too worn (look for the little lines on top of the knobs) it'll be OK front, better rear.

Assuming they're both the good versions then Nevegal front, Mountain King rear but neither one's going to be amazing on the front so it'll depend what you want to do with them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I agree with Northwind.

My bike came with brand new Mountain King 2.4. I was out round Drumlanrig last week and they were just about ok however yesterday I went for hurl round the very muddy Gleniffer Braes in Paisley and found myself rolling about in the mud a few times. They have absolutely no grip or traction in mud and on a few off camber rocky bits the bike slipped away from under me , front end first. Luckily I ride flats and got my feet down in time.

If you ride in wet muddy conditions bin the mk.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    No experience with either I'm afraid so I concede upon all points relating to knobs...

But as a rule I always stick a larger volume tyre up front and narrower on the rear - though if the MK is shoddy on the front just go with which tyre has the most grip.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I ran MK 2.2's front and rear for a couple of months over winter, no problems at all and this was muddy cannock chase to icy llandegla and everything in between.

Now got MK2.2 rear and vertical 2.3 front and all is still good.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have the Black Chilli MKs and find them excellent. Roots, mud, sand, they seem unfazed and provide good predictable grip every time.

Best of all, they don't clog, unlike most other tyres I have tried.

Make sure you give them a good soapy wash and scrub before using them. Mine came with mould release wax still on the tyres and this would make them very slippery on a trail.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    I think people who disregard the MK's or any other tyre need to qualify the conditions and surfaces they ride in. I'm not saying their experiences are wrong just that saying they are only good for the bin is not true for me in the conditions I ride. I have been using the 2.4's all through this winter. They have been excellent in most except ice which not many tyres can cope with anyway. I've ridden over the North Downs and locally which is horrible London Clay all this winter and traction has been good compared with the guys I ride with. I know another guy who runs them on his orange 5 and swears by them. Tyre pressure seems to make a massive difference though...

Tyres are a very personal thing.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Are yours standard rubber or black chili though? The black chili compound does make them a pretty passable tyre, though still not great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Standard compound but maybe if I rode in your hunting ground I'd change my view.. :lol: I've dropped the pressure quite a bit since I first tried them and they wrap better around contours, roots and rocks without squirming...
  • Thanks for the advice, gave the MK a bath as Bar Shaker suggested. It slipped a bit till I dropped the pressure and have no problem running it rear now.