cheap torque wrench

johnbhoy
johnbhoy Posts: 61
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Looking for a cheap torque wrench.. Have found this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-34487-2- ... 54&sr=8-13

Could anyone confirm if this would be suitable for bicycle use.

Having just threaded my eccentric bottom bracket i am definitely going to be buying a torque wrench but the new eccentric has put a hole in my pocket so cheaper the better.

Anyone any opinion.

cheers

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Since it goes up to 240nm you may struggle with anything other than botom brackets and cassettes rings. Due to it's size you wouldn't be able to use it for the items that need a more delicate touch.
  • thanks for the reply.

I am confused about this though. A lot of the wrenches i have been looking at cover a range.. ie 5-25NM So they dont start at 0... this wrench seems to start at 0 so my logic was that it would also be able to cover the smaller torque items.

I suppose my main concern was getting a wrench that was not going to be strong enough to deal with the bigger torqued items. like the bottom bracket ,etc
  • other one i was looking at was this but its double the price... still seems good value though

link
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Ideally you need a 1/4 inch torque wrench that covers controls, brake adapters, seat clamps, stem bolts, pinch bolts and other such small items this is normally in the range of 4-12nm. Then another 3/8th wrench for the larger items; bottom brackets and cassette rings.

Get the right tools for the job as you won't get one tool to do all. Look at getting one that covers the lower range first. The rest of the bigger stuff is if you're using too much effort then it's already too tight.
  • Your original torque wrench is very decent. It will struggle to cope with delicate torque settings on carbon items and it's bolts, but very good value. These types tend to retain more accuracy over the micrometer type.

Usually you'll need 2 torque wrenches. One for delicate and one for brute force bolts.

Best price for delicate settings is:

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=STW1012

The BBB ones get good reviews but dearer:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/21614/BBB_TorqueFix_Torque_Wrench

Both probably more expensive then you would like. But, accuracy is vital on carbon.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • cool. thanks

I think i may just go for the original one posted.i think i have a decent feel for the lesser torqued items as i dont think i am too heavy handed.

The only bolt i will be overly concerned with will be the eccentric and that one is vital to get right as too loose and it will slide... Too tight and it will get damaged. i need 80 lb/foot so i think this will do the job nicely and its the cheapest i have found.

thanks again.
  • the original one you posted is for 1/2 drive sockets etc. ive used that one on cars int he past, its very rudimentary mind, andif honest, overkill on a bike! useful as leverage to get stuck bb's out mind!!
    you'd be Much bertter off looking for 1/4" or 3/8" drive ones for bikes, and you'll prolly struggle to find a cheap one that covers most the small bike bolts, a lot of the torque ratings are so small most the large torque wrenches just anrt sensetive enough,

a good friend of mines pops tld him once, 'Son, the tools that size for a reason' and its very true! ive mullered countless bolts with allen sockets on the ratchet!!
    use Good quality allen keys and you'll be fine!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cheap torque wrench = why bother.

if you are going to get one look at the settings for your bike parts and get a suitable one.

or more.

I have three.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • "'Son, the tools that size for a reason" == quality... LOL

I keep coming back to the point thought that i have not needed one in the 20 years i have been cycling, so feel the smaller torqued items are not really an issue. You tighten until it feels right.. Albeit you may be well off the recommended torque but you can kind of gauge how tight it needs to be due to the type of component you are dealing with. Its not caused me any problems in the past.

I would not actually bother getting a torque wrench at all but its just i feel a bit stung and a bit miffed at the crappy cannondale double wedged eccentric threading so easily. Its such a crap design it beggars belief. Main problem was that in order to stop it creaking and slipping you need to make it really tight but then too tight and you are back to threaded parts. It therefore puts you off maintaining it correctly as once you are happy its in place you dont want to touch it again. But chain stretch means you need to.

Have therefore purchased a carver bottom bracket to replace it but just did not want to run into this problem again. So in effect this torque wrench will primarily be used as a tool to service the bottom bracket. From feedback i am getting the torque wrench i am looking at would seem to be fine for this purpose ??

I totally get the idea of having quality allen keys. Learned that the hardway after shreading bolts on the my disc brake rotors... Proper nightmare trying to get that rotor off the wheel after that. Involving hack saws. dremels. hammer and punch..... not pleasant.

cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    See if you can find a torque wrench callibrator too - the setting on the torque wrench and the actual torque cutoff can vary wildly - particularly if it's had a knock, or had some heavy use.
  • Do you know. Why do all these torque wrenches have so many different settings between Nm lb per foot, lb per inch..etc. its very confusing looking at manuals and seeing the torque given on one or sometimes three different measurements.

Its just as well i was downloading all the manual for all my components. Have now realised that the expander bolt on the carver eccentric is "Torque setting for the expander bolt is 80 INCH pounds." NOT 80 foot pounds as i had been thinking all along.

Have therefore decided the original torque wrench will be overkill.

therefore will get one of the 2-24Nm variants instead that everyone has already been recommending.

How'da thought buying a blimen wrench would prove so difficult.
  • NM is a (yucky french*) metric scale whereas inch/lb & foot/lb is (far superior*) imperial.

It all depends on what unit of measurement the particular company decided to use & if they were conciousness enough to do a conversion.

* A personal veiw from someone who still knows his 12 X table :D
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    imperial is bollocks.

*a personal view from someonewho was born with 8 fingers and two thumbs, not an inbred-tastic 12 fingers :lol: