My Commencal Meta 5.5 + Scott Voltage

Muttly1981
Muttly1981 Posts: 815
edited February 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Thought i'd share my new toy with the rest of bikeradar, i took delivery 3 weeks ago so she's still standard at the minute apart from the Wellgo B-54 pedals but planned upgrades include white E13 bash (should arrive on monday), white grips (soon as the weather improves slightly) and replacing the Juicy 3's when funds will allow.

IMAG0373.jpg
What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nice looking bike :) I used to have an older one, they ride really nicely!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Just got that very bike. Im having issues with my Juicy 3's...are you? Also, this different tyre malarky...I dont like the back end sliding out.

Be interested to see what changes you make as I have some in mind.
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Just got that very bike. Im having issues with my Juicy 3's...are you? Also, this different tyre malarky...I dont like the back end sliding out.

The pad spreader on my rear brake as snapped but so far hasn't caused and noticeable problems but like i said they'll be getting replaced as soon as i have some spare cash.

I like the mix of tyres although the cross mark on the back doesn't really like muddy trails they seamed perfect up at Llandegla a few weeks back but struggled in the soup up at Lee Quary this week. I actually like getting the arse end sliding out but the high rollers up front are great because you know that whatever direction you want to go you just need to point it and it'll grip

I'm going to wrap the frame as soon as i can get some heli-tape as the paint can only be decribed as thin
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Stoo61
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:

The pad spreader on my rear brake as snapped but so far hasn't caused and noticeable problems but like i said they'll be getting replaced as soon as i have some spare cash.

I like the mix of tyres although the cross mark on the back doesn't really like muddy trails they seamed perfect up at Llandegla a few weeks back but struggled in the soup up at Lee Quary this week. I actually like getting the ars* end sliding out but the high rollers up front are great because you know that whatever direction you want to go you just need to point it and it'll grip

I'm going to wrap the frame as soon as i can get some heli-tape as the paint can only be decribed as thin

Ah ye see, i dont like the back end giving anything up. Each to their own.

Will source out a chain stay protector over tape as I too can see the paint disintergrating.

My juicys are super noisey and the front lever is pulling far too far in, just dont seem as good as my Elixirs. Expensive upgrade for a new bike however.

Ho hum, teething problems I guess, been really enjoying it on natural rocky descents.
  • Id swap to a high roller all round. I swear by mine.
  • Stoo61
    Which incarnation of the high roller is on the front. FR version? XC Version? DH version?
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:

I like the mix of tyres although the cross mark on the back doesn't really like muddy trails they seamed perfect up at Llandegla a few weeks back but struggled in the soup up at Lee Quary this week. I actually like getting the ars* end sliding out but the high rollers up front are great because you know that whatever direction you want to go you just need to point it and it'll grip

Ah ye see, i dont like the back end giving anything up. Each to their own.

Will source out a chain stay protector over tape as I too can see the paint disintergrating.

My juicys are super noisey and the front lever is pulling far too far in, just dont seem as good as my Elixirs. Expensive upgrade for a new bike however.

Ho hum, teething problems I guess, been really enjoying it on natural rocky descents.

As far as getting the back end sliding it has saved me on a few ocasions when carrying a little too much speed into corners and it i had a grippy rear i doubt i'd have got the back end around intime. As you say it is a case of each to there own as my riding mate has the same set up as me and isn't a massive fan as he is a very smooth rider where as i have an agressive riding style.

I've been looking at getting a chain stay protector but until then PIB tape has worked a treat, i'm going to heli-tape the top tube as you can see where my shorts have already been rubbing at the paint after 3 rides :shock:

I'm not a massive fan of the juicys but they have always been a planned upgrade since i first made the decision to buy this model. Maybe the lever problem on yours could be solved with a quick bleed? As i upgrade parts i'll be transfairing parts onto my Carrera hard tail.

As for the high roller upfront i'm not entirerly sure what incarnation it is but at a guess i'd say it was the DH/FR with it being a 2.35 :?
  • blucky
    blucky Posts: 40
    Sweet bike... think next year I'm going to try a FS... you guys always seem to have more fun !!
    ..................................................................................................

I own a cat called Gary !

Boardman Comp 2010
    Boardman Sport 2010
    Marin - Bear Valley SE 1992 ?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    lovely bike, but yep, get those juicys off. they're a pain in the ass. You'll probably start having problems with a sticky piston soon too
  • Muttly1981
    lovely bike, but yep, get those juicys off. they're a pain in the ass. You'll probably start having problems with a sticky piston soon too

It's due for it's 6 week "service" (evans speak for have a look at it and not actually touch it) in a couple of weeks so will ask them to sort a new pad seperator but alas they will have to last me at least three months untill i can get some cash together. Looking at a set of Hope M4's as my parts supplier (i.e. mate) gets on pretty well with one of the reps for Hope so thinks he can get me a set very cheap :D Anyway off to the pub to pick up my new bash gaurd (hopefully he's managed to get me some white Peaty grips aswell) will post updated pics after tomorrows ride at Llandegla
  • Stoo61
    OOOOHH my first wee upgrade has arrived. Not going to post any photos or threads until I have put my stamp on it. 8)

I am totally stumped as to what brakes to get. Hearing great things about Formula's.
  • Muttly1981 wrote:

It's due for it's 6 week "service" (evans speak for have a look at it and not actually touch it) in a couple of weeks so will ask them to sort a new pad seperator but alas they will have to last me at least three months untill i can get some cash together. Looking at a set of Hope M4's as my parts supplier (i.e. mate) gets on pretty well with one of the reps for Hope so thinks he can get me a set very cheap :DAnyway off to the pub to pick up my new bash gaurd (hopefully he's managed to get me some white Peaty grips aswell) will post updated pics after tomorrows ride at Llandegla

Bike parts and beer? Man that sounds like the most amazing place ever!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 wrote:

It's due for it's 6 week "service" (evans speak for have a look at it and not actually touch it) in a couple of weeks so will ask them to sort a new pad seperator but alas they will have to last me at least three months untill i can get some cash together. Looking at a set of Hope M4's as my parts supplier (i.e. mate) gets on pretty well with one of the reps for Hope so thinks he can get me a set very cheap :DAnyway off to the pub to pick up my new bash gaurd (hopefully he's managed to get me some white Peaty grips aswell) will post updated pics after tomorrows ride at Llandegla

Bike parts and beer? Man that sounds like the most amazing place ever!

It was an amazing place but wasn't great fitting a bash gaurd at 11.30 last night with a belly full of beer :oops: i half expected to wake up this morning with my front shocks replaced by the handlebars.

Anyway the bash looks pretty cool but the brake issue continued today with the pad seperator getting completely chewed up in the rear caliper miles from anywhere but managed to free it so will be posting a pic of that little gremilin later :evil:
  • Muttly1981
    Now with the big ring removed and a nice shiney bash fitted

IMAG0381-1.jpg

The remains of the pad spreder

IMAG0391.jpg :evil:
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    For your info I run High roller 2.35 60a front and back on my meta and have found this to be an excellent combo.

As far as brakes go check out XT`s the reviews really don`t do the justice, easy to bleed and cheap at current pricing.
  • Stuck minion dhr and dhf on my Meta for todays Enduro and was amazing.

Tonnes of grip for climbing, inspiring on the DH!

One hell of a cracking bike!
  • Muttly1981
    Well now the brakes have to go as i decided last to have one last go at sorting the back brake and silly me went to move the caliper slightly with the wheel still spinning. Result = middle finger getting caught in the rotor and pretty much cutting the end of my finger off, 8 hours in A+E, broken finger and stitches they've managed to save the finger but ruined my 3 day riding plans for this weekend :cry: i know when i read the reveiw about one way or another the Meta 5.5 will hurt you at somepoint but didn't think it would have been so damned literal :twisted:
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Ouch!!!

Get well soon mate.
  • Muttly1981
    With the weather improving i thought it was time for some white grips on the Commie and i found it amazing how £9 could change the whole look and feel of a bike. I went for the Superstar Excels and even though they are 1/2" wider than the ones they replaced i didn't have to change my set up at all. I got rid of the pib tape chain guard as i've got a few chips in the paintwork so the sooner i trash the paint work i can then get her painted in the colour scheme i've been designing :D

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

Since i last posted the bike has been back for warranty issues (commencal with issues?) but not a frame problem like you'd expect it was the rear mech, Evans asked me straight away if i was running an X9 mech as they have had alot of problems with the 2010 model once i got that sorted she was running better than ever :D Thinking of putting a high roller on the back as i'm getting faster i'm losing grip on the rear cross mark and lost it a few weeks ago.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Nice
    is that a faded orange colour or is the camera making it look like that
    i had a 5.5 but had frame issues :(
    only thing i found with my 09 was the top tube felt a bit short
    nice enough bike thou my mate swears by his 6 .
  • Muttly1981
    paul20v wrote:
    Nice
    is that a faded orange colour or is the camera making it look like that
    i had a 5.5 but had frame issues :(
    only thing i found with my 09 was the top tube felt a bit short
    nice enough bike thou my mate swears by his 6 .

It depends on the light really when taking a picture, when sunny it looks orange, overcast deep, in low light fluorescent orange and under the lights in the warehouse at work bright pink :? I tried a few different full suss bikes but as soon as i sat on the commie it just felt right. I'm thinking about going deep purple with white components and asbo orange detailing i think she'll look great.

The updated frame afaik has a shorter downtube to stop the strain that was causing the frames to crack.
  • I'd like to introduce you to Victoria the new lady to enter my life :D

410833_10150494432365666_653395665_9234661_179780713_o.jpg

Fork RockShox Domain Dualcrown RC
    Fox VAN R coil spring preload
    Headset FSA Orbit E 1.5R
    Sram X.7 / 9 Speed / short cage
    Sram X5
    Avid Elixir 5 Disc
    Truvativ Hussefelt 1.0 / 36T chainring
    BB-Set Truvativ Howitzer XR 73mm shell
    E.thirteen LS-1 ISCG05 Chainguide with Taco
    H'stem Truvativ Hussefelt
    Hub (Front) Scott Comp 20mm thru axle
    Hub (Rear) Scott DHL-135 12mm thru axle
    Spokes DT Swiss Champion black 2.0mm
    Rims
    Alex FR 32 / 32H / DH disc rim
    Weight 18.10 kg

Will get more pics when i take her out tomorrow
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Cool Voltage nearly as cool as mine p1020777s.jpg
  • .blitz wrote:
    Cool Voltage nearly as cool as mine p1020777s.jpg

Cheers
    I see you've changed the seat, did the same myself as the stumpy thing that came with the bike was a horror so fitted an I-beam saddle and post i had lying around and after playing around on sunday new pedals are a must. One of my mates thinks he may have a 450 ti spring knocking around as i'm blowing through the rear suspension a little too easy with the current 350 spring
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Think the saddle is the first thing to go!

Have also changed the grips bars stem and fitted a 34T chainring so I can ride it to and from the trails. Interesting what you say about the spring I'm no lightweight but it seems to ramp up nicely on the bigger stuff perhaps I'm just not trying hard enough!

Ace bike though great to have something that doesn't need rebuilding at the end of every descent.