Hardcore Hardtail - Norco Torrent.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2011 in Your mountain bikes
2005 Norco Torrent (thanks to "MRFMILO")

p4pb6188502.jpg

150mm to 170mm forks.

150mmx12mm rear dropouts.

As tough and stiff as a tough stiff thing.

Proper hardcore hardtail-ing. This should be fun :D

Comments

• Right... so...

I need some ideas for colour. I don't know if I should keep the black (paint isn't too bad) or strip down the frame and get it done something different?

I'm really struggling to prioritise my spending atm... I want everything now, but can't afford everything at once :lol:

Problem is, I have good deals on cranks, forks and wheels... all of which might not be around for long so which do I get?!

I have a few spares hanging around so it's going to be a used/spare parts bike until things start to wear out and I can upgrade.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    That looks tough alright, even more burly than a Cove Stiffee, and that's saying something !

Love the square section seatstays, and I've not seen a brake support bridge that big before. What a beast ! Just curious, what's the tubing and how much does it weigh ?

I guess there are plenty of 160/170mm forks out there, but none of them cheap - my choice would be some Lyriks.
  • It would be pretty cool to take all the paint off, and wrap it in carbon fibre! I bet that would look the bollocks like that!

I think carbonmods.co.uk have some decent deals on wrap kits!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    :D

I'd get some Marzocchi 66 SL's for it :wink::lol:
  • BG2000 wrote:
    That looks tough alright, even more burly than a Cove Stiffee, and that's saying something !

Love the square section seatstays, and I've not seen a brake support bridge that big before. What a beast ! Just curious, what's the tubing and how much does it weigh ?

I guess there are plenty of 160/170mm forks out there, but none of them cheap - my choice would be some Lyriks.

Tis 6061 T6 Aluminium.
    I read an article on the frame before buying saying that everything is thicker and beefed up....some solid metal too :lol:
    Make no mistake, this is a seriously burly bit of kit. Aluminium doesn't weigh very much, and this is a heavy bike, so you know there's a hell of a lot of metal in it. It's not hard to see where it is, either. The flared octagonal down tube starts out massive at the bottom and gets bigger at the top, where it meets a big, thick head tube and a top tube that in this context looks fairly slim but is in fact pretty big. Oh, and there's a gusset at the head/down tube junction.

The back end is similarly chunky. The chainstay yoke behind the bottom bracket is made up of two lengths of rectangular bar stock. No fancy machining, hollow forgings or anything here - just solid metal. The chainstays are deep vertically, the seatstays have a square cross-section and the dropouts are hefty forged items.
  • So... a few pics of the parts i've gathered so far....

The big tioga stem should hopefully be going, but I actually think it goes well with the massive chunky frame :lol:

IMAG0304.jpg
  • right i've now found a powder coaters nearby for a decent price... so what colour should I get?

I've been thinking about a pastel green or blue but i'm not sure :?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    definitely green ... green is where its at atm 8)
  • Blue :D
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    silver with green finishing details.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sell it and get another surge :P

I did have one of these frames for a short while, but sold it on because it was too small... They're seriously chunky! Reckon it could take pretty much anything!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    but are you keeping the meta?
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Sell it and get another surge :P

I did have one of these frames for a short while, but sold it on because it was too small... They're seriously chunky! Reckon it could take pretty much anything!
    This is pretty much exactly the same size as my old surge :D
    Probably the same weight too lol!
  • welshkev wrote:
    but are you keeping the meta?
    Course I am!!! Lol.

This is just gonna be a play bike :) deffo taking it down the DH at cwmcarn!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh dear me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i know a guy running triple clamp marzocchis on a similar one(05 manik) with deemaxs. looks rather nice and is fast too.

p3pb5459918.jpg
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Oh dear me.
    awwwww..... you done an accident?
  • jay12 wrote:
    i know a guy running triple clamp marzocchis on a similar one(05 manik) with deemaxs. looks rather nice and is fast too.

p3pb5459918.jpg

Looks pretty sweet, not sure on the dc's though!

Hone cranks have now been bought, might get them resprayed black when the frame is done, 2nd hand so a bit of rub on them.
    Either that or polish them up!
  • Cranks arrived today!

photo-141.jpg
  • jay12
  • jay12 wrote:
    they look solid

Aye, had some a while ago... nice and stiff... esp for £35!
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    they look solid

Aye, had some a while ago... nice and stiff... esp for £35!
    that is an awesome price!! good find mate, did it come with a bb?
  • Nah no BB, but thats not really a problem. although, deore BB's have suddenly shot up in price :evil: could get one for £10 last week!
  • bish bash bosh... £8 delivered.

photo-143.jpg

Should do nicely for now :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    get a good fork... A Pike would be awesome on that...

I say either go for all matte black... pikes, black frame, black bits... proper stealth!!

or go for a neon green flame job on a "raw" frame. BOOM!

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Pike is a bit toooo short Ideally I want 150-160mm :)

Seen a few forks, just gotta get my ca insurance sorted first! meh.

Haven;t decided on colour still lol. But i'm changing my mind about green/blue lol!
    Still need to find a sprayers!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I found it rides best at about 160mm, - Domains?
  • Yeah maybe.... still ned to sell my fragging Joplin. I've only used the damn thing twice and decided I wasn't a fan... tis turning out to be an expensive part test!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Yeah maybe.... still ned to sell my fragging Joplin. I've only used the damn thing twice and decided I wasn't a fan... tis turning out to be an expensive part test!

how much ?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp wrote:
    Yeah maybe.... still ned to sell my fragging Joplin. I've only used the damn thing twice and decided I wasn't a fan... tis turning out to be an expensive part test!

how much ?

tis in the classifieds :wink: