Helmet change

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
How often should you change your bike helmet?

Comments

• Whenever you see a shiny new one that you can't resist.

OR

When it's not longer fit for purpose i.e worn strap or buckle. Can't imagine this happening for a very, very long time!
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Or when the straps are completely encrusted with salt, like mine! :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Helmet manufacturers reckon that 3 years of use is time for a replacement - usually when the warranty / crash replacement scheme runs out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    or if you headbutt the tarmac
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Helmet manufacturers reckon that 3 years of use is time for a replacement - usually when the warranty / crash replacement scheme runs out.

Well they would say that wouldn't they? It boosts sales.

I think it depends on how much it's used, how much it's looked after, whether or not it's showing signs of wear.

I's hardly going to de-grade when it's still in the box or protective pod is it?

I think you need to use your own judgement whether of not you need to replace depending on the above factors. :wink:
  • I think they are adopting the same policy as the hardhat manufacturer which also have a 3 year 'lifetime'
    I am an engineer and a physicist rather than a chemist but the polymer that provides the strength will decay over time when exposed to the air and Sun so it is going to degrade no matter how well you store it. My guess is the 3 years is the age where with the thousands they produce they start to see a few failures. It is a bit like best before dates on food.
    It is all down to statistics and liability lawyers.
    I would use your judgement
    If it looks good but is starting to look a bit scruffy get a new one and use the old one as a backup.