Focus cayo to cervelo RS

horizon1967
horizon1967 Posts: 55
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Self explanatory,I'm going from a cayo to a RS.Nothing wrong with the cayo its stiff fast good climber quite comfortable.However as you can see I am not a young man,with its short head tube its very racy.I have just lost patience with it,anything over 35miles is a trial.

Any thing under than distance is ok,may be its my age but its not comfortable on the longer distances.My legs feel ok my back arms and shoulders ache on long spins.I have had a bike fit and I have flipped the stem ,stillit didn't really work for me.Had the bike for almost 3 years and its time to knock it on the head and try somthing different.

So I want the RS,higher headtube better over rough surfaces think its the bike for me.If it can handle Paris Roubaix thats good enough for me.The roads where I live are well they are rough in places.Anyone think I'm mad ,its a big expence but my motivation is getting very thin unlike my waistline.Got into cycling to keep fit and do lots of long distances rides.Can't do this at all with my current bike.

My legs feel great but my upper boddy is hurting,and wants to stop.

Comments

• we're all cyclist here, not need to justify a new bike like your talking to your wife. :D
    If you were wondering the formula for the amount of bikes you should have is n+1. n being the amount of bikes you currently own.

The RS doesn't have a particularly long headtube, I thinkg it is the sloping geometry that does it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not knocking your choice at all, but curious to know why you have seized on the Cervelo? You considered all the other usual 'sportive' suspects? Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1, Ribble's sportive carbons etc etc. Pearson and Dolan do carbon sportive / audax bikes too.

Anyhoo, would you be planning to sell the Cayo once you've sorted a replacement? Depending on size I might be interested for my son, who is bendy enough to enjoy hurtling about with his nose on the bars and his @rse in the air.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Save a few quid and get a Canyon :wink:
  • I went from a cayo to a cervelo rs about 4 years ago. The cervelo didnt give anything away to the cayo, but added in fantastic comfort. I found the cayo way too harsh on the long stuff, whereas I was happy to knock out Marmot's and multi-day events on the rs, and I still managed to win crits on it.

Cant really see a down side

jon
  • I went from a cayo to a cervelo rs about 4 years ago. The cervelo didnt give anything away to the cayo, but added in fantastic comfort. I found the cayo way too harsh on the long stuff, whereas I was happy to knock out Marmot's and multi-day events on the rs, and I still managed to win crits on it.

Cant really see a down side Thanks for the reply,got my RS yesterday like you on long rides its too harsh.Busy today so I could only tak it for a short spin,very comfortable.Thats really why I bought it,power transfer seem about th same as the cayo.Perhaps its better,hard to tell on a 2 mile ride.

I think its a geomentry thing as well short headtube only 3, 5mm spacers on the strearer!!! Got my groupset shifted from the cayo to the RS,guy who did the work commented on the cables wiggle used.

I will not say any more,I would never buy a bike again without seeing it first.Thats hindsight you live you learn,you live at least.Onwards and upwards I like this bike already in the furure I think I will love it

jon
  • I made a right mess of that reply,concise description of the RS is much better than the cayo.Better engineered more comfortable just better,its also more expensive so it should be better.Its the geometry of the bike the cayo just does not work for me.And although its early days on my new bike first outing on it is very promising.

Plus when you register it on the cervelo site,you get a limited lifetime warranty.