Cumbrian Christmas Cracker

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1999

Anyone else dong this little belter?

This sunday 27.02.11

I did it last yr and it was pretty tough. feel fitter this year tho so hoping it's not as hard!

Comments

• Humph
    Humph Posts: 31
    Yep,
    Gang of us doing it again this year, great memories of view across dead calm Coniston (after passing ice patches!) last year. Enjoyed it and extra 6/7 miles plus very cold temps did make it quite tiring.
    Looking forward to the left over xmas puds as well.
  • Me too, i'll be there.

Setting off at 9am then staight into red bank!

Have a good day!
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Did it last year (well, 2009) and really enjoyed it. Ended up transferring to the Lakeland loop this time.

Have fun, weather looking ok I think?
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    Today breezy and bright north west wind. Forecast tomorrow similar. Should be swift wind assisted ride to Cartmel but maybe a bit of a struugle into wind for return to Grasmere. Lots of rain over last week so expect wet roads with lots of debris and muck. Potholes galore beware those round blind bends at bottom of descents.
  • holker
    Today breezy and bright north west wind. Forecast tomorrow similar. Should be swift wind assisted ride to Cartmel but maybe a bit of a struugle into wind for return to Grasmere. Lots of rain over last week so expect wet roads with lots of debris and muck. Potholes galore beware those round blind bends at bottom of descents.
  • Not the best ride, but ces't la vie, or is it gare.................. :? :?

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/cumbrian-christma ... 11957.html

:wink:
  • Humph
    That's a minor hiccup compared to our disaster!
    7 of us set off up redbank all vying for top first but usual suspects got there before me and headed down the wet descent. While negotiating the left hand hairpin I thought I heard someone go down ahead and sure enough as I looked up I saw my mate on the verge not moving.
    Cut a long story short I rang organisers who sent St John - 1/2 hour later got him off tarmac into ambulance and after paramedic agreed with our worst fears of broken hip air ambulance took him to Lancaster where badly split and dislocated hip ball joint was confirmed.
    Those who didn't need to practically give up rode on (including me) with diminished enthusiasm despite glorious weather and views. Fortunately op went well and we'll get him out later this season hopefully.
    What, with another of our group missing feed station and one being sick as a dog top of Grizedale it was a testing difficult day instead of a straightforward social day out. :(
  • Hmmm, heard about it at the end, spoke to one of your group over me Xmas pud, please give my best wishes for a speedy recovery to your mate, I have inside knowledge as to the challenges he faces!! (in the trade)
    Simon
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Humph sorry to hear about your mate, hope he gets well soon, i passed the accident but there seemed to be enough people already there.

You weren't the guys struggling to fix your mates gear cable?

I was parked next to you and recognised one of you at the scene but wasn't sure if it was the group in the car park.

I had a ok ride, got a puncture towards cartmel so was abit gutted, ended up 3hr48 with puncture so happy with that really and glad i was in one piece.

Congrats to everyone that finished, it was tough going into the wind.
  • Humph
    Thanks for the sentiments guys - glad to report they've even let him out today so he can contnue a hopefully swift recovery back in comfort of his home.

Yeah we were ones in car park fixing the bike he fell off - he was all for going home till we fixed it :roll:

As you say, there was decent number of us that day luckily to help - good job cos wouldn't hae fancied the 2 St Johns blokes chances of getting him in ambulance on that slope.

Ps - post op he discovered they had shaved the wrong leg, at what point they realised it was the other we'll never know :shock:
    Unless it's a complimentary service for cyclists.
  • holker
    Local newspaper had a story of seious injury to a cyclist on B 5278 following collision with a car. This road is on cracker route. Epic refer to two incidents in their post event email. Anyone kow if news report related to this event?
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Bloody hell Humph i was saying to the mrs about the accident and that i thought it was the guy who's bike was broken and you lads fixed it, hell terrible fate that, i heard him say he wasnt bothered about riding it.

Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery, it's a nasty decent that one.

When i had my hernia op they put big arrows in black marker to the side that needed doing, i asked the nurse if it was neccesary she said you would be surprised the mistakes that are made.

Holker i read that, saw a ambulance at the junction on 590 but didn't see any bikers??