Ladybower, including Beast & Hagg Farm - Sunday 20th Feb

13»

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Glad you all had fun, sorry we missed this!

I think we rode a similar route the day before - that was interesting in fresh powder snow :shock: :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • miss notax wrote:
    Glad you all had fun, sorry we missed this!

I think we rode a similar route the day before - that was interesting in fresh powder snow :shock: :lol:

Pity you couldn't join us, hope you had a good time anyway.

Here's the edited video - sorry about the soundtrack :oops: That's my music taste!!

Ladybower

Chatters - great scene right at the end, I bet you'd forgotten that you'd smashed your knackers on the Hagg Farm descent :lol::lol:

Sorry about the fuzziness - splashback on the lense!! Now got a new handlebar mount, so should be better next time!!
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Cool vid Mark, considering the conditions :roll:

Back up Ladybower tommoz with the slow rides group, hopefully feel a little better than our ride, loved the descents, they were awesome - roll on the next ride :)
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • Ro88o wrote:
    Cool vid Mark, considering the conditions :roll:

Back up Ladybower tommoz with the slow rides group, hopefully feel a little better than our ride, loved the descents, they were awesome - roll on the next ride :)

Hope you have a good time - you can use the local knowledge that you now have :D

Hope the weather's better there than it is here right now - p!ssing with rain here :evil:
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Ride went very well, weather got better as the day went, even saw some blue sky for a while :)

Ground is saturated and trails cut up bad in places, good for the fitness tho.
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    edited March 2011
    proutster

Nice vid weather looks awful, but the trail looks fun. :)
    How does the route compare to a quick blast around Cwmcarn, looking forward to riding some natural stuff when the weather breaks.
  • Scrappy
    Scrappy Posts: 3
    Finally got around to signing up .... Great video Mark ............... are you sure you haven't slowed it down for us back markers !!!

Well I can add to the guys list of damage .......... one Claud Butler Cape Wrath !! :(
    Looks like I'll need to carry out a bit of surgery or start saving for a full bouncy

Great fun though .......... bring on the next outing :D

Cheers Mike
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    proutster

How does the route compare to a quick blast around Cwmcarn, looking forward to riding some natural stuff when the weather breaks.

The problem, compared to somewhere like Cwmcarn, is thta we cycled almost 3 hours for 2 decent downhills!

That's the difference with "natural" trails compared to trail centres - you work really hard to gain the altitude and then it's gone immediately with a rapid (most of the time very rocky) descent.

It's great being outside in the wild outdoors though!

Will, hopefully, be down in South Wales in April - so will try to hook up for a blast around Cwmcarn then.
  • Proutster
    :lol:
    Scrappy wrote:
    Finally got around to signing up .... Great video Mark ............... are you sure you haven't slowed it down for us back markers !!!

Well I can add to the guys list of damage .......... one Claud Butler Cape Wrath !! :(
    Looks like I'll need to carry out a bit of surgery or start saving for a full bouncy

Great fun though .......... bring on the next outing :D

Cheers Mike

Loving the username! I hope you were well behaved at England vs France?

Will try to sort out a trip in early April, keep looking for the update - hopefully you'll have a modern bike by then :lol:
  • Proutster wrote:
    proutster

The problem, compared to somewhere like Cwmcarn, is thta we cycled almost 3 hours for 2 decent downhills!

That's the difference with "natural" trails compared to trail centres - you work really hard to gain the altitude and then it's gone immediately with a rapid (most of the time very rocky) descent.

It's great being outside in the wild outdoors though!

Will, hopefully, be down in South Wales in April - so will try to hook up for a blast around Cwmcarn then.

Cant beat Cwmcarn for a quick fix
    Drop me a PM when you can make it down.
  • Scrappy
    Scrappy Posts: 3
    Loving the username! I hope you were well behaved at England vs France?

Will try to sort out a trip in early April, keep looking for the update - hopefully you'll have a modern bike by then :lol:[/quote]

Certainly better behaved than at the previous game........ not so difficult though !! :roll:
    Still searching for the Claud replacement ......... so much choice ! Hopefully have something by Aprll ready for a nice leisurely ride out :lol:
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    Hi all,

I am coming up to the Peaks in April with 2 friends for a long weekend, and staying at the LB inn, and I am doing alot of route research, collating GPS, maps etc... etc... but I seem to have come across a bit of confusion between your map linked at the beginning and a map on monkeyspoon.

We've heard about the Beast descent and want to make sure we ride it, but you state it is just past waymark no.7 on mapmyride but going by the tool on monkeyspoon the two locations do not seem to marry up.

http://monkeyspoon.com/Tracks/Monkeyspo ... aceMap.htm

Could someone confirm which is correct so we dont drive 300miles and spend the weekend not knowing whether we've ridden it or not :-)

Cheers all,

Shaun
  • Proutster
    shaunlfc1 wrote:
    Hi all,

We've heard about the Beast descent and want to make sure we ride it,...........Could someone confirm which is correct so we dont drive 300miles and spend the weekend not knowing whether we've ridden it or not :-)

Cheers all,

Shaun

Hi Mate,

Don't know much about Monkeyspoon and couldn't open your link but...

If I was you, I'd buy the OS Explorer Map OL1 which covers the Dark Peak Area in 1:25,000 scale. Here's a photo showing the start of The Beast at Grid Ref 159876:
    TheStartofTheBeast-1.jpg
    It starts at the cross-roads with the Roman Road (by the arrow) and descends towards the water.

The Hagg Farm descent's also worth doing, I think I enjoy it more than The Beast because it's faster with some nice berms (and I always feel that The Beast is more of an ordeal than fun whilst you're going down it :oops: ) - it's at the top of the picture, you get to it by going West on the A57 and then turning right up towards Rowlee Farm.

Here's another one of a nice 20 mile loop (I think it was featured in MBR mag) that you can start from the LB Inn (just up the road from the arrow) - go in a clockwise direction.
    LadybowerLoop-1.jpg
    If you get up here you'll definitely enjoy The Beast - who doesn't enjoy a nice bit of "arm-pump" on a steep descent!!
  • shaunlfc1
    Yeah not sure whats happened with that link, its been worknig fine up until now.

Thats great info, I'll make sure I mark up my maps with that advice etc.... etc...

Know doubt if I have any more questions I know who to ask?

Cheers,

Shaun
  • Proutster
    shaunlfc1 wrote:
    Yeah not sure whats happened with that link, its been worknig fine up until now.

Thats great info, I'll make sure I mark up my maps with that advice etc.... etc...

Know doubt if I have any more questions I know who to ask?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yes of course, ask away. I'm no expert but I do know those rides reasonably well.

I should be doing another ride up around there on either the 3rd or 10th April - when are you guys coming up?
  • shaunlfc1
    15th - 18th April.
  • RLyons
    RLyons Posts: 67
    Looks like a sweet ride!

I was hoping to pick somebodys brains about shortening this ride...

I am passing through the area on Saturday but only have a couple of hours to spare (if that!). Is it possible to do a smaller part of this ride, and if so, which bit would be the most entertaining!? I'm sure I could cobble something together but I don't know the lie of the land and which tracks are the best!

Cheers,
  • Trapper
    Trapper Posts: 35
    Shorter ride? Try this:
    Park at Hope and take the back lane up to Aston to join the steady climb up the side of Win Hill. Blast down to the Roman Road and a short rocky pedal to the 4 way jnc at top of Jaggers Cloug. Bounce down the Beast, veer left at the bottom and climb up to the Snake Pass Rd. Straight over and up the technical ascent past Hagg farm and carry straigjt on at the top until you descend towards the mini- beast at the top end of the reservoir as shown. Keep to the western side of Ladybower and climb up the recently surfaced bridleway to the 4 way jnc above Hagg farm. Descend the technical track you climbed before, dont forget the gate halfway down! Go back up the Beadt and then take the Roman Road directly back to Hope and via Aston. Saves on a lot of roadwork around LB inn and Thornhill.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Trapper wrote:
    Shorter ride? Try this:
    Park at Hope and take the back lane up to Aston,take the first left after the railway upto Edge farm to join the steady climb up the side of Win Hill. Blast down to the Roman Road and a short rocky pedal to Hope cross at top of Jaggers Clough.Turn right and bounce down the Beast, veer left at the bottom and climb up to the Snake Pass Rd. Straight over and up the technical ascent past Hagg farm and carry straight on at the top past Lockerbrook farm until you descend suicide brake at the top end of the reservoir as shown. Keep to the western side of Ladybower to bridge end car park turn right here and climb up the screaming mile turn right along Hagg side to the 4 way junc above Hagg farm. Descend the technical track you climbed before, don't forget the gate halfway down! At he gate at the bottom of the beast turn left and follow the fireroad until you reach a very steep climb on your right up Whooler knoll.Turn right at the gate and up through the wood to join the Roman road,turn left the almost immediate ride to descend your first climb back to Aston/Hope
    The last section is much easier than the push up the Beast 8)
  • Trapper
    Push up the beast? No pushing mentioned on the route!!!!!!
    The connection at the top of the wooler knoll bridleway to the Roman road is a footpath and we wouldn't want to go upsetting the ramblers and twitchers would we?? I hear enough tuts from walkers when pedalling along bridleways, so God only knows what they curse at 4x4s and MX riders who legally use the byways!
  • RLyons
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Trapper wrote:
    Shorter ride? Try this:
    Park at Hope and take the back lane up to Aston,take the first left after the railway upto Edge farm to join the steady climb up the side of Win Hill. Blast down to the Roman Road and a short rocky pedal to Hope cross at top of Jaggers Clough.Turn right and bounce down the Beast, veer left at the bottom and climb up to the Snake Pass Rd. Straight over and up the technical ascent past Hagg farm and carry straight on at the top past Lockerbrook farm until you descend suicide brake at the top end of the reservoir as shown. Keep to the western side of Ladybower to bridge end car park turn right here and climb up the screaming mile turn right along Hagg side to the 4 way junc above Hagg farm. Descend the technical track you climbed before, don't forget the gate halfway down! At he gate at the bottom of the beast turn left and follow the fireroad until you reach a very steep climb on your right up Whooler knoll.Turn right at the gate and up through the wood to join the Roman road,turn left the almost immediate ride to descend your first climb back to Aston/Hope

Thanks guys, this route sounds nicer than going up the beast!

I'd also like to know just how bad the beast is? I'm going with a mate who hasn't done much MTB at all, I am a little worried it will be too much! I realise he can always push, but that's no fun!
  • RLyons
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Trapper wrote:
    Shorter ride? Try this:

Thanks guys, this route sounds nicer than going up the beast!

I'd also like to know just how bad the beast is? I'm going with a mate who hasn't done much MTB at all, I am a little worried it will be too much! I realise he can always push, but that's no fun!
  • Trapper
    Inexperienced? Never mind. Seat down, engage "stupid" in brain, ensure shocks are on and maintain momentum. Go down beforehand with video camera and earn £250 from Beadle if they apply too much front brake on the last corner and go over the bars. There's a chicken run to the side on the final 3rd if your arms are shot by then. Excellent descent - but not like jumps n stuff which have a bigger injury potential. Never wore body armour myself, but could have done with elbow pads one wet winter day!

Enjoy, Then try the steps at Stanage Edge
  • RLyons
    Hahah! Good idea on the video camera!

Very excited for this legendary descent!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Trapper wrote:
    The connection at the top of the wooler knoll bridleway to the Roman road is a footpath !
    You must be thinking of another path as the one we use is a BW,it's signed a BW and has been for years.I never ride FP's.
  • RLyons
    Thanks for the advice! I had a good time, but unfortunately I massively over-estimated my noob friend's ability and fitness!

We parked at hope station and managed to get to the top of the beast before turning round to descend back to hope! It took 2 hours :lol:

I will definitely be going back though! The Roman road was fast good fun and the main descent was nicely bruising at speed!

The bike is in the shop having its first service today and I will be riding the beast next weekend!