securing your bike in a shed

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
me an my mrs have recently moved into our own house, yes its time to grow up and become an adult

at the moment my stinky (bike) lives in work but my commuter bike currently lives in the kitchen at home, this doesnt go to well with 'er in doors so, its needs to live in the shed but how do i stop the theiving toe-rags from stealing it.

but my plan is to wire the shed as an additional zone on the house alarm an get the biggest meanest lock for the bike(s)

any ideas?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    As a man who's had at the last count 6 bikes nicked from various sheds and garages, take it from me that if they want the bikes they'll get them. The last time chaining the bike to a floor anchor with the biggest cable I could find wasn't enough to stop them, they'd come equiped and went straight through the cable and the bike was gone. Wiring the shed up to the house alarm is probably the best bet, prevention is the best option, but make sure they can hear they've triggered the alarm. Then the usual floor anchors, chains etc will stop them simply triggering the alarm and trying to grab the bikes and run.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    If your shed is anything like ours (ie a run-of-the-mill garden shed) then it's probably no more secure inside the shed than if you chained it to the outside of it.

Just a thought but, do you have space for the wheels inside the house?

Alternatively, have you thought about putting your wife in the shed and leaving the bike where it is?

Bob
  • beverick wrote:
    Alternatively, have you thought about putting your wife in the shed and leaving the bike where it is?

+1

Hey why not get her a turbo trainer ala Clarkey Cat? :roll:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

I hate to say it but in both my breakins they literally smashed the door and ripped it out of the frame, I don't suspect that would have stopped them. On the other hand it is a good deterrant
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

that looks pretty neat!

i was thinking of ground achors, like what people attachmotorbikes too outside their houses

ive heard of people taking the rooves off sheds to steal their contents, theiving scum bags!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Personally I have chain wrapped round a fence post that's set in concrete runnning from behind the shed and in to it. The Bike is then locked up to the chain in the shed. Not perfect but to remove the bike you would need to either defeat the d-lock locking the bike to the chain or cut through the chain or take out two fence panels and lift chain and shed over top of fence post. I do however live in a nice area (famous last words but new bike on insurance would be nice!).

Also you could upgrade the shed, http://www.trimetals.co.uk/bicycle-storage.php?m=4&g=9 seems to get good reveiws. But never used one and certainly cannot recommend it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    One bit of advice that probably sounds like stating the obvious is to minimise the amount of time during which your bike is on display. Ie if you have been out on a long ride dont leave the bike sitting around in view while you have some food etc. I always make sure the bike goes straight into somewhere where it cant be seen (in my case the house).

I had neighbours that had nice bikes and the bloke used to spend a good hour after each ride with his bikes sitting outside the house. He'd then wash them in full view of the whole street etc. Unsurprisingly they got nicked after a few weeks.

Sounds a bit paranoid but all it takes is for one scum bag to drive past and spot them and they know they are there.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Don't waste your money beefing up shed security; there's nothing you can do that will stop a well-prepared thief from nicking your bike your shed.

Instead, I suggest spending £2.99 on a padlock, and then insuring your bike with ETA in case the inevitable happens. Their security terms state:

Where does my bike need to be kept when it is at my home address?

When the bike is at your home address it needs to be kept inside a locked building – this can either be kept locked in your house, in your garage or in your garden shed. It also needs to be kept out of sight inside the locked building so that it cannot be seen by the public from outside the building. It does not need to be locked to an immovable object inside the building unless you are keeping the bike in a communal hallway.

Do you specify which locks need to be used on doors to my shed, house, garage etc. when the bike is at my home address?

No, any lock is sufficient.

You might also need a piece of cardboard to block out the window of the shed.
    Rules are for fools.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It's flaming inconvenient having a bike nicked though. Mine are even d-locked to ground anchors in a secure garage.

If the shed is on soft ground, you could get a long screw in anchor, that goes down a couple of feet. Once bike is secured to it, they can't remove it. If on solid ground, then you are best removing part of the shed floor to bolt into the concrete.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Simples the wife has to go :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • My brother is a SOCO and told me that in most cases the shed door is levered/ripped off. A simple solution is to loop a rape alarm (nailed to the frame of the shed and looped around a hook each time you close the door) to give the thieving gits a real fright!

When I have accidently pulled the door open without un-looping the alarm, 120db in the ears certainly has the desired effect. I got the alarm free from my local police station, so a cost effective deterent. The bikes are also chained together, and to the shed frame, so no quick grab and go option.

If that all fails, ensure you photos of your bike(s) and make sure they are insured. :cry:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Get a dog.

All you need, plus you get lapped when you get home!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    fossyant wrote:
    It's flaming inconvenient having a bike nicked though. Mine are even d-locked to ground anchors in a secure garage.

If the shed is on soft ground, you could get a long screw in anchor, that goes down a couple of feet. Once bike is secured to it, they can't remove it. If on solid ground, then you are best removing part of the shed floor to bolt into the concrete.

" Flaming inconvenient".. just calm down please, think of your blood pressure! :)