a present for the wife...

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
... my good lady had a baby recently and she is sat at home alot on maternity leave probably a bit bored. So I wanted to treat her to something nice that will occupy her in between feeds and housework - I was thinking about a TURBO TRAINER!

They seem to go for anything between £150 and £800... is there a vast amount of difference? Don't want anything too flash - just something that allows her to spin out a bit while watching Neighbours. Any suggestions?

Are they a standard size? i.e. will it fit my bike too (my real reason for buying it)

Cheers

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'd check whether you're assumption of her being "a bit bored" is correct!

She's a new mum, not a student :wink:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    LOL!!! :-)

Yes, she won't be that busy....... My friend, prepare to be surprised :shock:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Ha ha ha! Hmmm...what would a new mum like to do between feeding a baby at all hours of the day and house chores? I know! JUMP ON A TURBO TRAINER!

(puts friendly arm around clarkey cat's shoulder) Pamper her and help her out whenever and wherever you can. Your life will be a lot easier, trust me :wink:

(And congratulations btw!)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    if your mrs gets bored of the turbo trainer, i need fence putting up in my garden......just thought i wouldl throw that out there
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • If anyone would like to know what happens when someone anally inserts a turbo trainer - be at clarky cat's house 10 seconds after his wife unwraps the present. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    yep that's what she really needs, something to knacker her a bit more in those precious few spare minutes she has.............................................that'll be a new one for the casualty nurses, removing a turbo trainer :shock:

Listen to a man who knows, pamper her..........lots...............and look after junior so she can go out for coffee with a few mates
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • my first thought was surely given certain areas that are likely to be a little tender still - why sit down on a saddle...

back to the drawing board with ideas mate :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    To be honest - I would save the money and then give it all to British f*cking Gas.....it's where my money goes......

**British Gas just made my "robbing b*stards" list....
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Clarkey Cat you were joking weren't you? :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    my first thought was surely given certain areas that are likely to be a little tender still - why sit down on a saddle...

back to the drawing board with ideas mate :D

Quite. Buy yourself a turbo trainer (you won't be getting out on weekend rides as much with a littl'un around) and buy her something nice too (nice for her, not nice for you). God help you if you actually go through with your original suggestion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Homer Simpson buys Marge a bowling ball with 'Homer' written on it.

This sounds somewhat similar...
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Amused by this thread :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Our daughter is 5 mnths old and my partner TRIES to get on her turbo once or twice a week but I need to be there to look after the baby. Unless your partner is a keen cyclist you'd do better getting her a day at a posh spa or even getting a baby sitter and taking the wife out for a good dinner. I can tell you she is NOT sitting around bored but we need some decorating doing, so get the lazy mare up to Mcr and she can do ours :D

PS. I read this thread to my partner and she advises you to 'ask' about the turbo - do NOT just turn up with it. Also they are really the same - some are fancier than others. Ours is a Cylops Jet Fluid Pro.

Probably bored - :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    M.Rushton
  • I think buying her a turbo trainer would be a brilliant way to combine the message "you don't really do much all day" with "by the way, you've got a bit fat".

It might not be the messge you're intending to send, but consider yourself warned!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    If she's not grateful for a present that allows her to quickly return to pre-baby shape then she's clearly selfish.

Perhaps she's prefer a nice new ironing board with a novelty cover??
  • gtvlusso
    Buy her a shotgun - very useful present for a new mother....... :shock:
  • clarkey cat

she rarely, if ever, irons my lycra.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Stop messing around. Don't buy the turbo trainer and spend the money on N+1 instead. The wife will cope.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    edited February 2011

she rarely, if ever, irons my lycra.

No laughing matter! The wife once tried to iron one of my pricey technical running tops. I've now got an imprint of an iron on my left sleeve, and it no longer wicks!

I put an ASBO on her from going anywhere within 10ft of my Assos bibshorts now.
  • Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it!!! :lol:
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Get yourself down to the jewellers and get her an expensive ring.

Than buy yourself a turbo.

Or have this brought up over dinner for the next 30 years.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Best thing to get her?

Look after the baby for a day (no TV bay sitting tho') and let her do what she wants. You'll win big time esp. if done regularly
    M.Rushton
  • I suppose you could combine the turbo trainer with an idea I had for a new product (I was thnking Dragons Den with this....)

Product name: Baby Stay!

Let me explain - you alway wrap your newborn up in big fluffy clothes right? Well, I had this idea.... if you strategically attach soft velcro strips around the house; you can plonk your baby down and the little darling ain't going anywhere.

Keeping interest with the Mother at the kitchen sink? Easy! Baby Stay strips on the cupboards attach child and baby can enjoy interacting with Mother while she completes her domestic duties.

Strips around the edges of the living room so you can plonk the baby down and know where they are when you get off the bog / out of bed / back from the pub.

Baby free zones? Easy! Baby stay strips at the entrance - act as baby DMZs - baby crawls over and the fluffy bunny suit gets held at the border.

So - wrap some baby stay on the Turbo trainer, get her to exercise and entertain all at the same time. 8)

For some reason, the Fathers find this idea great. The Mothers? Not so.

I may have over-stepped the mark when I suggested interactive baby games involving a baby bouncer, and a 10' velcro bullseye positioned 20' away.

My Godsons Mother asked me to leave at this point.

(Don't look at me like that. The OP started it with the bloody stupid ideas)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • clarkey cat
    could attach some velcro to my rack...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    could attach some velcro to my rack...

Could attach some velcro to the mothers rack. Hands free feeding!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    I suppose you could combine the turbo trainer with an idea I had for a new product (I was thnking Dragons Den with this....)

Let me explain - you alway wrap your newborn up in big fluffy clothes right? Well, I had this idea.... if you strategically attach soft velcro strips around the house; you can plonk your baby down and the little darling ain't going anywhere.

Keeping interest with the Mother at the kitchen sink? Easy! Baby Stay strips on the cupboards attach child and baby can enjoy interacting with Mother while she completes her domestic duties.

Strips around the edges of the living room so you can plonk the baby down and know where they are when you get off the bog / out of bed / back from the pub.

Baby free zones? Easy! Baby stay strips at the entrance - act as baby DMZs - baby crawls over and the fluffy bunny suit gets held at the border.

So - wrap some baby stay on the Turbo trainer, get her to exercise and entertain all at the same time. 8)

I may have over-stepped the mark when I suggested interactive baby games involving a baby bouncer, and a 10' velcro bullseye positioned 20' away.

You have no idea of the brute strength and vocal capabilities of some of the little tykes out there!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    K-B you are a sick man :lol::lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I suppose you could combine the turbo trainer with an idea I had for a new product (I was thnking Dragons Den with this....)

You have no idea of the brute strength and vocal capabilities of some of the little tykes out there!

+1. My 19-month-old nearly headbutted me unconscious the other day - she didn't seem to feel a thing,
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda wrote:

and slightly nuts.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tymkiTVOciY
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    Cafewanda wrote:

and slightly nuts.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tymkiTVOciY

KB, I dunno if anyone's mentioned it before, but the resemblance is uncanny!

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

And in your scalping vid, it doesn't count as a scalp if you have to resort to using the Darth Vadar Force Choke! (0:24)