Food

rudyardmtb
rudyardmtb Posts: 54
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
I have been commuting to work since Jan this year and so far so good. The problem I have is that i am losing weight (not a bad thing) because I cant get enough calories into me other than eating really bad foods, which I dont on occasion just trying to stop this on a regular basis.

Just wondering what other commuters have to eat to combat this shortfall in calories. My commute is 14miles over a lumpy route each way so plenty of calories used.

cheers

Chris

Comments

• Fat free calories might fill the gap as well as augment your weight loss. Try carbo drinks or high sugar drinks like cola.
  • What works for me is a regular routine of having two breakfasts. First one taken at home and hence pretty healthy as I can keep the kitchen cupboard stocked with good healthy energy foods. My favorite is a large bowl of porridge which is a great slow release energy food, even with commuting in on a cold day that will usually keep me feeling full until about 9am. Then in the office I go for second breakfast, which is either whatever I've grabbed from the fridge and taken in with me or sometimes what I've stopped off and bought on the way in. Second breakfast items in the last week have included

triple sandwich brought from supermarket on way into work
    leftover Sunday roast chicken including vegtables and roast parsnips - reheated in the works microwave on Monday morning at about 10am to the amusement of work colleagues
    indian korma complete meal bought from supermarket

Luckily I've got a locker in the office and keep some half reasonable foods in that as well, like bags of mixed nuts, cereal bars and a recent discovery John West tuna meals in a tin. Banana's are a top energy food but can't be kept for that long in the office, great if you pass any shops on the way into work though.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Chocolate tiffin, butterscotch slice, brownie ........

If you're burning off the calories, why not?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Chocolate tiffin, butterscotch slice, brownie ........

+1 :twisted:

I'm doing lots of miles (for me!) at the moment and am eating all sorts of junk as well as healthy stuff. I find that if I carb up in the evenings then my riding is quicker and I've got more energy when I ride the next day and this means that I tend to eat less 'unhealthy' stuff. Huge bowls of pasta do the trick. Sacla is the shizz...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    You could be pushing yourself too much. Remeber youre off into work, slow down a little :) If you want to cane it, do it on the way home, extend the route.
  • Protein bars?
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • Kendle mint cake.......
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • mmm kendal mintcake, sounds devine and not had that in a dogs age

andrewc3142 wrote:

+1 (dont know how to do proper quotes)
    sounds great just wondering if there was a healthier alternative. Trying the pasta and spuds of a night time.

I try desperately to keep it a nice sedate pace, and still find myself getting there quicker each time, I dont feel like i'm pushing it and as a rule go of how i feel on effort put in.

Am thinking of looking at the protein shakes or such like to aid the intake of calories, just wondered if any one else uses these as well.

Also really liked the korma for breakfast route, sounds like a plan :D

While on this subject what, if anything do people do for recovery food as legs are battered pretty much constantly?
  • I use protein shakes. Maximuscle Cyclone in particular. It really is good stuff! It contains creatine and other stuff.

I use Lucozade recovery to assist with recovery.

No substitute for real foods though like chicken, egg whites, and milk.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    rudyardmtb, you will get used to the commute and your legs will be fine. I extended my ride home last night by 20km as I was feeling great.

When I first started commuting on the old push iron I noticed I was destroyed by the end of the week and I was munching LOADS. The commute was 7m each way and the home leg was all uphill, gradual like, but up no matter which way.

I slowed down and gradually I noticed I changed, I was going quicker, I was thinning down and my muscles mass was more noticeable. Takes a little time thats all.
  • andrewc3142 wrote:

+1 (dont know how to do proper quotes)
    sounds great just wondering if there was a healthier alternative. Trying the pasta and spuds of a night time

Healthier stuff. Of course, and I also eat that. Just that I need the calories and (more importantly) find things like chocolate tiffin rather scrummy.

Seriously, for giving (more or less) healthy calories, try bananas, malt loaf, fruit cake, raw nuts and raisins, very dark chocolate, granola. That kind of thing.
  • I'm on a MuleBar Megabite habit at the moment - bought some "short expiry" ones from Wiggle half price (expiry is June FFS - same as the normal ones I bought). At around 110 cals I feel like I can snack on one once in a while at work and I'm thinking they are more healthy than the KitKat/Twix alternative. My other calorie boost is a tinny of Coke an hour before setting off - seems to help my poor legs - I certainly notice the difference.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks for the input, will defo make a shopping trip this weekend and see how next week goes on.

I guess i was hoping for some new wonder food that i wasn't aware of as well :P
  • Lots of new wonder foods, gels, drinks and potions on the market. Probably work, but some taste pretty bad and some are quite expensive for a few spoons of sugar.

As an Olympic canoe finalist I know says, if they weren't eating it 200 years ago, don't eat it before a race. Mind you, he never seems to turn down a caramel slice.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    "....I cant get enough calories into me other than eating really bad foods...."

You could try eating more really good foods?

Looking at most calorie/cycle counters you're probably using between 750 and 1000 calories per day - let's assume 1000. Equally let's assume you commute, on average, four days per week (it's probably nearer to 3 with holidays/CBA days etc).

So, on average, you're using 4000 additional calories per week over and above your previous more sedantary lifestyle.

Again, assuming you have 3x7 meals per week that's probably the same as having an sweet on an evening, a larger portion of cerial or an additional banana each day - ie not much!.

Once you've re-balanced your diet just bask in the fact that in commuting that distance you can eat pretty damn well what you like and not put on weight!

Bob
  • Roougers
    Roougers Posts: 36
    I think someone has said this already, but 2 breakfasts really are the way forward.

Not sure how good/bad it is for you, but I find when I get to work after a 10 mile or so commute, a bowl of Ready Brek (ot tesco own brand oats if I am skint really hits the spot, I have a normal lunch in the canteen, then I have something like a wrap about an hour before I head home.

Then a normal supper I guess.

I dont loose much weight, but I dont find I feel hungry which is preferable.