What's my FCN?

SteppenHerring
SteppenHerring Posts: 720
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Mostly lurker here who is trying to bike to work more often (when I don't have to ferry the kids around). Short commute - 9 miles into Croydon, downhill on the way in.

Anyway, looking at the FCN calculator I can't see quite where I fit. The commuter bike is an old 531 Raleigh road bike which I recently converted to fixed (because downtube shifters are hassle) and added mudguards.

So, for the starting point, it's not a shiny fixie (3) it's more of a dirty functional bike (5) but has mudguards (6). Which is it?

Not that there's much SCR action around here.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    5? Then obviously + or - everything else...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited February 2011
    I'd say 5, but then it depends on your Soul FCN. I suspect that people look at my Orbea and think it's a 6 (mudguards, touring style wheels), but in my soul I know I can't see myself as more than a 4, it's a great, fast bike. We would need to see a pic before full judgement could be issued on the tartiness.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Using your description of your bike and your avatar as the basis of your clothing, I put you at FCN 5
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Note to self: change avatar picture.

I'm inclined towards 5 too. Which makes my overall score 5.

If I shave my legs do I have to put panniers on to stay at that?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Which speed group do you join in with on the clubruns?
  • 18 or 19mph - but that's on the carbon bike. Actually haven't been out with the 19s since Christmas.
  • kelsen
    18 or 19mph - but that's on the carbon bike. Actually haven't been out with the 19s since Christmas.

With that insider knowledge, I'd put you down as a 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    kelsen wrote:
    18 or 19mph - but that's on the carbon bike. Actually haven't been out with the 19s since Christmas.

With that insider knowledge, I'd put you down as a 4

A 4 makes you fair game for anyone with a bit of speed. You have a target painted on your back. Not a big one, but a target none the less.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    edited February 2011
    Never any SCR action in Thornton Heath/Croydon heading south thats for sure. 80 year old men on bikes with 6 bags of shopping dont give chase like they used to :roll:
  • I'm jealous of the SCR stuff. I think I probably have a low FCN as I'm normally seen on a carbon road bike with full lycra, my legs look like they've been shaved and I only have a bum-bag and a swan-style rear mudguard. But (and here's the rub) I hardly see any other bikes. I left work at 5 on the nail yesterday and passed 3 in the first 3 miles (ie near town) but that's exceptional. On the plus side, I've now reached a year of my commute (3000+ miles) and I've not been passed once (even on my MTB - though I only ride that in silly cold & snow conditions so I could probably stop for 10 minutes and not be passed on those days)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    StefanP wrote:
    Never any SCR action in Thornton Heath/Croydon heading south thats for sure. 80 year old men on bikes with 6 bags of shopping dont give chase like they used to :roll:

Oh there is, we just haven't crossed paths yet! Heading south you say. Morning or evening? And what do you ride?
  • Surely you can't adjust FCN by ability - it has to be on equipment/cothing/appearance.

Did take one carbon guy on the flyover on Tuesday. Otherwise mostly panniers/hi-viz. I don't wear full club kit for commuting.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Surely you can't adjust FCN by ability - it has to be on equipment/cothing/appearance.

Absolutely correct.

A Cat1 on a Brompton is pretty much a killing machine......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • True, true, but you can get an inclination. If you see a chap with shaved legs and calves like slabs of roughly hewn granite, you know you're in for a long commute, no matter what his steed.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Beware skinny old men with legs like pipe cleaners on steel framed tourers :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Beware skinny old men with legs like pipe cleaners on steel framed tourers :wink:

This book (Born To run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen) is interesting in that regard.

Apparently club runners in the New York Marathon peak at 27-years old, and then the average time increases as they age, but only slowly.

For example it is only by the age of 64, that the average time is the same as for 19-year olds.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    jimmypippa wrote:

This book (Born To run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen) is interesting in that regard.

Apparently club runners in the New York Marathon peak at 27-years old, and then the average time increases as they age, but only slowly.

For example it is only by the age of 64, that the average time is the same as for 19-year olds.

On that - interesting 15min talk on TED
    http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mc ... o_run.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    kelsen wrote:
    Oh there is, we just haven't crossed paths yet! Heading south you say. Morning or evening? And what do you ride?

Heading south down A23 at 8 in the morning, heading back to norbury via a235 in the evening. I am on a merlin malt 1 with knobblies, and at a solid 12 for FCN - have fun!