Bye Bye Bike

clairelc
clairelc Posts: 49
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
My first experience of bike theft this morning, and I'm now mourning the loss of my trusty steed :(

Taken from the bike rack out the back of my block of flats (itself hidden from the road).

Have called the police and awaiting a crime reference number. Luckly it's itemised on my contents insurance. Now just got to wade through the claims process (and subsequent raising of the premium). bah humbug.

Not having done this all before, do they just give you the cash to go and buy a new bike? or do they replace for you, or give you options based on the value you're insured for? It wasn't the most expensive bike in the world, only £250.

The irony is, i dropped my keys down the drain at work yesterday, and had building management not retrieved them for me, bikey would have been locked up safely at work, nestled in the bike rack next door to MI6 and the met special ops building. :x

Comments

• My sympathies for your loss. :cry:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    clairelc wrote:
    My first experience of bike theft this morning, and I'm now mourning the loss of my trusty steed :(

Taken from the bike rack out the back of my block of flats (itself hidden from the road).

Have called the police and awaiting a crime reference number. Luckly it's itemised on my contents insurance. Now just got to wade through the claims process (and subsequent raising of the premium). bah humbug.

Not having done this all before, do they just give you the cash to go and buy a new bike? or do they replace for you, or give you options based on the value you're insured for? It wasn't the most expensive bike in the world, only £250.

The irony is, i dropped my keys down the drain at work yesterday, and had building management not retrieved them for me, bikey would have been locked up safely at work, nestled in the bike rack next door to MI6 and the met special ops building. :x

Gits. I had mine nicked next to the Old Bailey a few years ago :evil:
    On the up side - new bike?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    My sympathies too :(

*Continues to say more prayers that Babygirl remains way under the radar*
  • dhope wrote:
    On the up side - new bike?

One way or the other!

although my dearly departed was only just 9 months old :(

booo
  • insurance claim is in, just need to get a crime reference number off p.c plod, and provide proof of ownership, then should my claim be accepted i'll be all systems go to get a replacement. So fingers crossed!

The insurance co have told me that they use Wheelies Direct to replace bikes. Anyone heard of them/used them before?
  • dhope
    Hadn't heard of them, quick Google
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ies-direct

Mixed reports

Guess just make sure that you get a bike of the same spec that was nicked, or if you're thinking of part funding an upgrade could see about getting the cash instead then buying from your local?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    No, but they appear to deal a lot with insurance claims, and have a decent range of bikes.

New bike. Happy days!
  • I hope the thieving bastard dies in a freak yachting incident.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I hope the thieving bastard dies in a freak yachting incident.

Cellar full of rats undoubtedly :evil:
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    clairelc wrote:
    insurance claim is in, just need to get a crime reference number off p.c plod, and provide proof of ownership, then should my claim be accepted

Blimey. I don't have this for any of my bikes.

Do I need to worry? Or get busy with a camera?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    My claim was handled by them. Make sure when they value your bike you list everything else fitted to it, including the lock. All of the extras are added to the value.
    My bike was £750 and I spent nearly £200 on extras. They managed to get what I had spent £950 on to a value of nearly £1150. I'd bought things at discount and I got full retail value back.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    When mine and the wife's got pinched last year, the insurance company wanted reciepts etc, which I didn't have for the rack,lights etc but I emailed them a photo of the bikes and they did not dispute any of my claim (over£1500).
    I did have to get 2 quotes for replacement costs, in my case one from the lbs and one as a screenshot from Evans website
    They were really good and I got a direct transfer into my account from them within 2 weeks minus £150 excess, unfortunately when it came to renewal time my premium nearly doubled so I had to move companies.

My sympathies, it's gutting when you realise it's actually really gone from where you left it.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    clairelc wrote:
    insurance claim is in, just need to get a crime reference number off p.c plod, and provide proof of ownership, then should my claim be accepted

Blimey. I don't have this for any of my bikes.

Do I need to worry? Or get busy with a camera?

I read that they can often use a credit card statment, or the packaging/manuals, just to prove you own it.

Im lucky in that I kept all the receipts/invoices in with the manuals etc.

both wheelies direct and pc plod have called me already this morning, so no complaints about service so far....
  • dhope
    clairelc wrote:
    something something manuals something

eh? manuwhats? I don't follow you
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    clairelc wrote:
    something something manuals something

eh? manuwhats? I don't follow you

the bits of rubbish that most people throw away but I apparently keep hold of...."just in case". :roll:
  • clairelc wrote:
    insurance claim is in, just need to get a crime reference number off p.c plod, and provide proof of ownership, then should my claim be accepted i'll be all systems go to get a replacement. So fingers crossed!

The insurance co have told me that they use Wheelies Direct to replace bikes. Anyone heard of them/used them before?
    Commiserations. I understand the frustration and anger you must be feeling.

Our insurance used Wheelies when my wife's bike got stolen last summer. They are OKish, but they appear to be box shifters with little knowledge of a bike (at least in our experience).

My wife tried to ask them not to fit the interrupt brakes on her bike. They didn't understand what she was asking :roll: The brake blocks were also fitted upside down, which my wife found out when braking hard and one of the pads came out and disappeared into the verge. :shock: They did offer to cover replacement and fitting costs when tackled about this.

Wheelies couriered the bike with the pedals off and bars turned, so if you are not comfortable adjusting such things and tightening them to the appropriate level, then ask the insurance company to include costs of checking the bike setup at a LBS. It might not be a bad idea to ask them to factor this in anyhow - and for a 6 week check up (for stretched cables), which most new bikes would get for free if you bought more locally - I would not expect such a check to be more than £15, but get quotes to show the insurance.

Don't let the insurance company off the hook: you should have a usable bike with minimal fuss. It isn't your problem that their supplier is in South Wales and you are not. They need to make provision for your bike to be ready to ride (they will save costs elsewhere - which is why they are using Wheelies).

Don't forget any additional items such as locks, pumps, spare tubes, tyres (if not the original stock ones), cycle computer, bottle carriers, puncture kit, chain links, .... if they were taken. All too easy to forget items put on a bike.

On the flip side - you get a shiny new bike again with no dinks or scrapes :D
  • thanks.

I've got all my receipts etc scanned and emailed over tonight, so I'll just have to wait and see what my options are. Hopefully will be as painfree as possible. just a shame about the increased premiums on the insurance come renewal time...

but yes shiney new bike fingers crossed! am i'm already at looking at uprading and paying the difference. this cycling lark is a hazard to my wallet :?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    if you have time go for a wander down brick lane tomorrow about midday, go armed with pics of the bike and any documentation which would prove owenrship including the serial number if you have it. a lot of stolen bikes will turn up there.

also you can post it on the lfgss.com stolen bikes thread and you'll have a large number of people keeping their eyes out for it around london and if you're lucky and it's spotted they'll chuck a lock around it so you can go and reclaim it.

also http://bikeshd.co.uk/ is worth keeping an eye on, it's a site that scrapes places like gumtree and ebay for bikes so you can see if the scrote is trying to sell it on there.
    Hat + Beard
  • First I would check your part of the liability you may have to pay the first £1 or 200, second rarely is a claim paid unless it is locked with a secure lock, three unless your injsurance is new for old you will end up with the replacement value of the bike.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html