Intervals & Asthma

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
Hello All,

I have been cycling for donkeys years - and with commutting will probably average around 120 per week (5 commutes, 1 sunday, & 1 Evening)

I have been reading the time crunched cyclists - and although I don't yey have a HRM - so haven't started the program properley yet - I have been sticking a few intervals in my normal routes.

My question is is that would the intervals HR - be different because I am astmatic - I don't get a full blown attack - but for example I heave pretty heavily on big climbs.

I remember a few years back expirimenting with a HRM - my HR was so high that it just made the zones unworkable - as soon as I put any heavy effort in, my HR goes through the roof and I am gasping pretty quickly.....

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• if you are not heaveing on big climbs then you are not riding hard enough.
    when you say, your heart rate goes through the roof, what do you mean, how high does it actually get? there will be a point where it will go so high that it will not go any higher, this will be your max heart rate.
    when you have actually measured (or accurately calculated) your max heart rate, use this number to calculate your training zones - this tends to work well for you personally, heart rate guides are purely a general guide for the general public and does not take into account your personal fittness level.
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    don't know the exact answer but worth bearing in mind 2 things

1) Some HRM straps (like my garmin one) can go poor contact when your breathing hard/ whatever - this can result in a ridiculous heart rate 220+

2) Ventolin is going to significantly increase your heart rate - I don't know how best to factor this fact into your training zones.

3) For shorter intervals - the response time involved in heart rate (ie time after starting the effort that your heart rate increase) - makes HR less useful as a tool - and perceived effort seems more appropriate

Anyone should warm up before intervals, but probably more important if you have asthma.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    OP Here,

Read another few chapters (time crunched cyclist)last night - might have come across a couple of answers:-

1. If you start heaving \ gasping you have either gone to hard to soon - or didn't warm up properley

2. Heart rate will drift(increase) throughout a long workout

Intersting that asmatics have a higher HR - need to work out the implications (mind you I am 47 and only want to go a bit faster on the club run !)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have asthma and as long as I'm up to date with my medication I don't have any probs. That said, my VO2 max test a couple of weeks ago showed me to be at about the level of a 70 year old chain smoker with one lung. However my final power was pretty good, can cope with a lot of anaerobic work.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Been cycling for a few years now but only recently discovered I have asthma, wether I have my turbuhaler or not I dont notice any difference with my cycling.... so much for my Dr saying taking it would make me quicker! :(
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond