5 weeks off = Big dip in Fitness

lioneld
lioneld Posts: 69
Been 'off the saddle' for 5 weeks recently, new baby, work chaos, bike needing work etc etc...

Went out for a quick 15 miles last night, averaged 14.9mph, but felt quite weak for the first 8 miles. I've had a few enforced lay offs before, but this one really knobbled me!
I've always been cursed with flemgh as I ride (generally stops after the first ten miles) but last night I was like tobacco chewing cowboy - had to clear my mouth every 100 metres, total pain in the ar5e!

Managed to maintain 18-20mph for no more than 2 miles before having to ease off, so despite being ridiculously happy to get back on the bike, I came back feeling a little deflated, but also a little more determined to get my fitness back.

So, in summary - babies are detrimental to your cycling ability, Work is debilitating and the state of the roads around Birmingham make me spit like a camel!
All Italian

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yeah, 5 weeks is quite a long time in fitness terms, good news is, it will come back in time
  • Yup - I had 2 months off for crappy life reasons and it was hard to get going again (not least of all for the extra 7kgs I was carrying up the hills (carried a PS3 in to work the other day - 7kg - made me realise the extent of the challenge)). It's been 7 weeks now and 700 miles. 3 kgs have gone and I'm feeling much better. Stick at it - you'll soon be flying again.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The good news is, you'll go faster for the break in the long run.

The bad news is, with a baby around you probably won't get the trainin time you need to get that speed back. :oops:
  • Pokerface wrote:
    The good news is, you'll go faster for the break in the long run.

The bad news is, with a baby around you probably won't get the trainin time you need to get that speed back. :oops:

Its not all bad new's re the baby/child, things will get easier after.................18 years! :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Really don't need to hear this! Due to a series of bugs I have managed at total of 8 decent rides since the end of November, currently just about shaken off the latest one. Thing is I have the Cape Epic in 29 day's time and all I have to rely on is base fitness and slipstreaming! This could turn out to be the most expensive frikkin beach holiday of all time.
  • I had 6 weeks off in Dec/Jan

Been back in the saddle for 5 weeks ish
    It was a real struggle initially but is getting better slowly
    Im still only 70-80% back to where I was in Nov though :(
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Don't get hung up on the numbers this early after a break. Managed my first ride yesterday after an op last October... left my Polar at home. Your body will have changed.. but not that much. Get yourself a plan, the cycling press is full of them in Spring...' Return to Slender'...Faster in 12 Weeks.. you get the idea.
    Work around your baby/family/work as best you can. Try not to waste any opportunity to train, something most of us are guilty of but with the baby you are a time crunched cyclist.
    The most important thing of all is to enjoy the little one.. you don't get a another chance. Soon my eldest will leave me in a trail dust.. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?