Things you forget

Arkady001
Arkady001 Posts: 201
edited February 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Stuff we knew instinctively at one point but forgot about in the intervening years...

I used to ride road bikes almost daily; raced a bit; time-trialled a bit then discovered Mountain Bikes - ahhh real fun at last...I lived and breathed it for about six years.
Then I was called away to do 'something else'... I've been off the bike for about 12 years now, apart from an occasional pootle to the shops.
Now I've dragged the old mountain bike out of storage, rebuilt a few bits, replaced the cables and lubed it up.

So - off for a ride.

So things that we forgot about: hills hurt - there's nothing like riding abike for identifying every change in topography out there. Stuff i'd have flown up ten years ago had me grovelling in agony...persevere - it's worth it.

Another ride - bum still sore from the last time four days ago - ah yes that has to be 'broken-in' as well...
A bit snowy yesterday, but nothing too outrageous for this time of year.

Snow - it covers ice. Ice is slippery. No matter how good your tyres are you will not stay upright - especially not at 40kph going into a turn...lol
Thinks i managed to remember - don't fight it - pick a spot and try to land softly...
Ice: it's even better at clogging SPuD cleats than mud...

Later the same ride, deep ruts - i was actually thinking: "ah ruts - it's your job to take me down..."
And it did. Didn't quite manage to pick my spot this time and did a comedy slow-ish tumble...
Bent my fingers back and scuffed my leg a bit...but managed to 'save' the brand-new helmet from getting a pasting...

The next day hurts more than when you crashed - stiff as a board and half my fingers down't work...
But It's back - at least three (fleeting) times on my second ride in a decade, i had that awesome feeling of everything going 'right' - legs didn't hurt too much, bike went just where I wanted it to go...

The one major thing I forgot - bones heal and chicks dig scars - the Mrs isn't convinced, however...lol

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    but it seems that the one thing you havent forgotten over the years is

YOU LOVE IT!

cycling, be it good or bad, is an all consuming thing that you never get away from once you fall for it the first time!
  • I do - those couple of uphill moments before the legs started burning again, when the gearing was just right; the cadence was just right and the bike felt alive again...

The grin is back.

Driving my car again today and barely able to shift gears, due to my middle finger being totally inoperative, I was grinning like a kid again...
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    glad your back to it mate.... tis one of life's most amazing things....

love it!

:D
    I like bikes and stuff