05' IDEAL Race Pro XC Build up

O\'Neal
O\'Neal Posts: 41
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Having only ever owned heavy low spec halfords bikes in the past, I thought I'd have a go at building my own bike.
Main use for the bike would be an exercise thing, mainly on the road,
but living in the Welsh countryside, all these hills around me do tempt me to go off the track occasionally :)
So fig id build a nice light weight XC bike. Oh and pref in blue to match my Honda Civic!

First up the frame.
Spent a while looking around for something that was light enough, but not going overboard on price.
The one that eventually caught my eye was a 2005 IDEAL Race Pro frame.
After a bit of googling around, found they were a popular brand in most EU Countries, but had not really taken off that well here in the UK.
Advertised as costing in the region of £350 new back in 05', it was old stock taking up space, placed a few bids and won it for £80 delivered!
Not a bad deal for a new frame! :)

Spec:
16.5inch frame
Alloy 7005 T4/T6 Butted Super Light Tubing
Weight approx 1450 grams
Suited for 27 speed gear set
68BB size with standard English thread
Colour Blue/ Black

Pictures:
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Bought a few other parts also:

KORE Forged Seatpost, cheap £5 thing, will do for now!
Specialized Indy XC saddle, used on my old bike, not the lightest, but good for long distance booty comfort!

spechseatandkoretube.jpg

Specialized xc locking grips

Speshgrips.jpg

KCNC Fly Ride Stem, 80mm reach, 106 grams

Stem.jpg

Amoeba Carbon Scud X Series 25.4 Bars, 170 grams

scud2.jpg
scudbars.jpg

Next on the buy list, a nice set of forks
Will keep updated...

Comments

• erm, may want to put the saddle on the right way round!! :wink:
    nice looking frame though, should be a nice build!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    may want to put the saddle on the right way round!!

+1, it'd be a start...
  • Ha, cheers for that!
    Weren't really sure which way around it was meant to be! :lol:
  • O\'Neal
    My forks arrived this morning! :)
    Bought a set of new 2010 Rockshox SID Race push lock 100mm in white with silver decals.
    Pretty light weighing in at just 1490grams!
    Anyone know where I can download an instruction manual on how i can set them up?
    Also how long before I will need to give them a service?

The white colour clashes with the blue/black frame a little, but think it adds a more racy look.
    Pictures of the fork on the frame - what you think?

test3.jpg
    test2.jpg
    test1.jpg
    test5.jpg

Also I've just gone and bought a new KCNC xc1 170mm ISIS BB Crankset. Delivery should be here in the next few days, will post pictures up.
    Again pretty light weight system at just 540grams. I've read a few mixed reviews on these, so hopefully I've made a good choice? Can they be compared to the xt or xtr?
    Will need to buy the bottom bracket at a later date as my pockets are now empty!
    Can anyone recommend a set?
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    This looks pretty tasty! Have the forks got any air in them yet? They look a bit compressed, that's all!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Not too shabby of a purchase. I think the forks actually look right in place, bit of an accent to the white bits on the frame!

As far as the KCNC stuff, everything i've ever gotten from them has been well built and nice to look at, so I can't imagine the cranks being any different. I havn't seen or heard much of the cranks though.
  • O\'Neal
    dot1 wrote:
    This looks pretty tasty! Have the forks got any air in them yet? They look a bit compressed, that's all!

Cheers man!
    I don't think they have, i can pull the crown/ stanchions up a good 2+ inches more from the lowers, need to have them set up right
  • O\'Neal
    Not too shabby of a purchase. I think the forks actually look right in place, bit of an accent to the white bits on the frame!

As far as the KCNC stuff, everything i've ever gotten from them has been well built and nice to look at, so I can't imagine the cranks being any different. I havn't seen or heard much of the cranks though.

All the info/ spec on the cranks can be found here:
    http://www.burls.co.uk/shop/kcnc-xc1-is ... p-658.html
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    O\'Neal wrote:
    Not too shabby of a purchase. I think the forks actually look right in place, bit of an accent to the white bits on the frame!

All the info/ spec on the cranks can be found here:
    http://www.burls.co.uk/shop/kcnc-xc1-is ... p-658.html

They look really good! Im told hollowtech BBs are better, but never experienced a problem with ISIS myself...
  • O\'Neal
    Update, the KCNC XC1 Crankset has arrived. The delivery box was pretty badly squashed upon arrival, but luckily there was no damage to the contents!

Some pictures of the crank set:

KCNCXC11.jpg
    KCNCXC12.jpg

Might update the bolts at a later date to make it look a little more pimp!
    If you want a swap, drop me a pm. blue or gold ones would be my ideal choice.

Also stayed up until 4am this morning to catch a good deal on ebay on a pair of Sram XO Carbon 9x3 shifters together with cables, and a Sram XO carbon rear mech! :D
    Had a late night on Sat after the International game, so could go to sleep now for a good 2 days!
  • hmmmmmn. Shiny!! me likey!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • O\'Neal
    edited June 2011
    Been a while since I last updated.
    Have since bought all the other parts and built it up to ridable condition.
    Went on my first outing yesterday on a 30 mile cycle.
    My booty feels Medium Rare today! Padded shorts deffo next on the list! lol
    Bike feels great to ride though, gears are smooth, suspension is sweet, brakes still need bedding in a little, so far so good.

Sill not done with the build yet, will update parts as I go along, replacing the heavier parts with more light weight items, and just blinging some of the other parts up.

Spec of my bike as follows:
    Weights based on manufactures weight.

Green coloured good light weight/ happy with
    Orange coloured could do better
    Red coloured heavy weight/ will be replacing

FRAME: 16.5inch 05’ IDEAL Race Pro Butted Aluminium 1450 grams
    SUSPENSION FORK: 2010’ Rockshox SID Race 100mm 1490 grams
    HANDLEBAR: Amoeba Scud Carbon X-Series 170 grams
    GRIPS: KCNC Foam grips 12 grams
    STEM: KCNC Fly Ride 80mm 106 grams
    HEADSET: Ritchey Ahead with sealed bearings 175 grams
    SEAT POST: KORE Forged 235 grams
    SEAT CLAMP: Standard IDEAL RacePro 50 grams?
    SADDLE: Specialized Indy XC 330 grams
    PEDALS: DMR V8 Silver 525 grams
    GEARS: SRAM X.O Carbon 3x9 speed 226 grams
    GEAR CABLES: Shimano XTR SIS Cables 50 grams?
    FRONT MECH: Shimano XT M771 152 grams
    REAR MECH: SRAM X.O Carbon/ Gold Long 200 grams
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir R-SLC (without G3 Rotors) 669 grams
    ROTORS: KCNC 160+160 146 grams
    CASSETTE: Shimano 11-32 M770 XT 256 grams
    CHAIN: KCNC X10X9 244 grams
    CRANKS: ISIS KCNC XC-1 Triple Black/Silver 170mm 539 grams
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Superstar ISIS (IRB) 68x118 240 grams
    WHEELS: Alex Rims DP20 Disk, DT Swiss Cerit Hubs - 2200 grams
    TYRES: SCHWALBE Albert Sport wired 26x 2.25 – 765 + 765 grams

Total Weight: 10,995 grams

Pictures:
    front2.jpg
    rear.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    crank.jpg
    stem-1.jpg
    brake.jpg
  • njee20
    Could you get any more spacers under your stem :shock:

Wheels has to be the first thing to upgrade, A2Z hubs are extremely light and excellent value, not the most durable, but likely fine for your intended use. Build onto some Stans rims for a very light, cheap wheelset. I've got some on Podium rims with Revolution spokes, 1246g and under £300.

Do your tyres too - something like Racing Ralphs or Rocket Rons.

Seatpost check out KCNC again. Saddle: something like a Phenom SL if you like the Spesh saddles. For bars look at Mt Zoom, their risers are light and nicely shaped.

Get some clipless pedals too, particularly if you're on the road!
  • come together nice that fella!
    you could easily shave 500g off the wheels, depending on budget etc. could get down to 800-900g on a race set! (one set in a mag i was reading at mothers but stoopidly lef there are out at 1245g!!) tyres could save 100g each, but maybe worth going tubeless?? tyres are typically heavier by 100 or so grams but the average tube is 200g so works out roughly 100g saving that way and Less rotating weight!!!
    dont think you'll save a great deal ont he cassette though, the XT is favorablly weighted for price/longevity IMO.
    you'd prolly save 100g on a daddle, and 150/200g on soome pedals but the rest i recon owuld be in terms of a few grams over 100g! not going to get much lighter bars than 170g???
    would have thought you could get it sub 10kg though,

but! weight matters nothign if you Love the way it rides! i Love my bike, Just want to Constantly Hoon it everywhere, its not the lightest at 24/25lb ish but the back end is So light keeps you on your toes! makes it look like you get Air all the time wich is Uber Rad baby!! 8) 8) 8) :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    come together nice that fella!
    you could easily shave 500g off the wheels, depending on budget etc. could get down to 800-900g on a race set! (one set in a mag i was reading at mothers but stoopidly lef there are out at 1245g!!) tyres could save 100g each, but maybe worth going tubeless?? tyres are typically heavier by 100 or so grams but the average tube is 200g so works out roughly 100g saving that way and Less rotating weight!!!
    dont think you'll save a great deal ont he cassette though, the XT is favorablly weighted for price/longevity IMO.
    you'd prolly save 100g on a daddle, and 150/200g on soome pedals but the rest i recon owuld be in terms of a few grams over 100g! not going to get much lighter bars than 170g???
    would have thought you could get it sub 10kg though,

but! weight matters nothign if you Love the way it rides! i Love my bike, Just want to Constantly Hoon it everywhere, its not the lightest at 24/25lb ish but the back end is So light keeps you on your toes! makes it look like you get Air all the time wich is Uber Rad baby!! 8) 8) 8) :wink:

It really depends on how much £££ you have wheels are available under 1000g and 680mm riser bars @ 100g :wink:

if that was my bike new wheels and tire would be the first thing to be replaced .

the cassette is ok and its not sum thing i would be replacing straight away as to go lighter your looking at xtr 224g but 150'ish or Sram XG999 @ 168 but near on 200.

avoid anything alloy or full ti my ti cassette lasted 500 miles and an alloy one would be lucky to get 200 mile i reckon
    Schmolke%20riser%20TLO%20680mm.jpg
  • leaflite
    Lovely build! Really nice colour and not too bad on weight either.

njee20 wrote:

Wheels has to be the first thing to upgrade, A2Z hubs are extremely light and excellent value, not the most durable, but likely fine for your intended use. Build onto some Stans rims for a very light, cheap wheelset. I've got some on Podium rims with Revolution spokes, 1246g and under £300.

Do you know any wheelbuilders that use A2Z hubs? I would like some wheels built with them but dont want to end up building them myself. [/hijack]
  • as nice as those bars are there not exactly cheap are they! £200!!! or £230 for the risers!!!
    is it really worth the spend for 70g!! mind you, if i could afford it i most probably would!!!! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • njee20
    Do you know any wheelbuilders that use A2Z hubs? I would like some wheels built with them but dont want to end up building them myself.

Try your lbs - the hubs are available from anyone with a Windwave account (Marzocchi, FSA, Nokian) so all the likely places have access to them, ask the question.
  • Looks ideal.... :wink:
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    That is a very nice looking frame, and good choice bits too (with the exception of the wheels).

They're dead strong wheels, but not really what you want on a racy XC type of build imho.
  • O\'Neal
    Cheers for the comments!
    Yep the wheel set is one of the biggest let downs of the build, snapped them up pretty cheap in a hurry just to get the bike rolling.
    Will update them to something stronger/ lighter as my weight hopefully comes down
    I'm weighing in at 84kg at the moment :oops:
    Lots of the wheels I originally looked at - American classic, Stans etc all had weight limits to them, none seem to cater for love handles...

njee20 - have those Podium rims with Revolution spokes, 1246g have a weight limit? would they just be for road use?

Just looked up the Rocket Ron tyres, seem to have pretty good reviews and are light weight. Notice some fit these to the front and fit Racing Ralphs to the rear? Anyone explain?

Steer length - weren't really sure what height to cut this down to.
    Based on my other bikes I've owned in the past, they've all had halfords type long high rise stems, so the spacers height and shorter stem works out to be about the same fit. Feels comfortable to ride as is at the moment, but will have a play around maybe shorten it a little.

One issue I had was with the handle bars. Tried fitting my lock on Specialized grips, but even using glue/ hair spray they wouldn't grip to the bars. Tried on a friends spare set of Superstars grips, but again had the same problem. Both are for standard 25.4 bars like mine. Might be a manufacturing fault with the bars, but id say they're at least 1-2mm too small. The KCNC grips I was advised were a snugger fit, bit of hairspray and they're now firmly stuck on. They're great for light weight/ road use, but wouldn't like to go off the track with them, the grip is pretty minimal.

Pedals I want to stay flat, tried clip pedals before, but ended up holding on to a tree branch trying to come off the bike :shock: Are there any good lighter weight ones on the market?
  • leaflite
    O\'Neal wrote:
    Are there any good lighter weight ones on the market?

Superstar ULTRA Mag CNC-310g/pair for £70
    Superstar Mag Lite CNC-340g/pair for £60
    Wellgo MG-1-380g/pair for £32
  • Am classics have a 240lb rider weight limit fella! i'm using them on my soul and Cant fault them, i'm 100kg/220lb, had them on for 6 months and they are fantastic, Super fast rolling, freehub makes a nice sound too! quick engagement, sub 1500g too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • njee20
    The Podium wheels have a 76kg weight limit, but are certainly not just road use. I know a number of heavier people using them, but I'd not expect them to be that stiff or durable.

Ralphs are more durable than Rons, they've got more tread on the shoulders, but less in the middle. I personally don't mix the 2, Ralphs if it's rocky, Rons if not.