Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra 2010

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
edited February 2011 in Your road bikes
Nothing extraordinary here - standard bits & bobs, but a truly lovely bike to ride. It was just my dream bike until I saw it for sale at £1000 off last October ... it would have been silly not to have bought it. 932 miles on the clock in the limited number of days it's been out...

SuperSixsmall.jpg

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Nice.
    My next bike will prob.be a Cannondale.
    Horizontal top tubes far nicer aesthetically than swoopy sloping frame tubes all over the place.
  • sturmey wrote:
    Horizontal top tubes far nicer aesthetically than swoopy sloping frame tubes all over the place.

It is quite noticeable when you see a horizontal top tube. I think it confers a functional and nuts n bolts feel. And the SuperSix is a real pro's bike.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    edited January 2011
    Really nice. I kind of like what you've done with the bar tape too.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Oh, BTW. The cycle computer sender unit on the forks should ideally face the front.
    Less chance of damage to both wheel and sender unit.
  • denty85
    denty85 Posts: 48
    Lovely bike. Looks really nice
  • briantrumpet
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Really nice. I kind of like what you've done with the bar tape too.
    That's just how it came - but yes, I think it's quite nice.
    sturmey wrote:
    Oh, BTW. The cycle computer sender unit on the forks should ideally face the front.
    Less chance of damage to both wheel and sender unit.
    You haven't seen how fast I ride backwards. Actually, yes, I realise, so have changed it around now.
  • fuzzbear
    fuzzbear Posts: 112
    Nice bike 8) If I ever get around to changing my 2008 Super Six I'd probs just get another one...

I'd be interested to know how the ride differs between the two years. Anyone know?
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    It must Cannondale night on here...third one in a row...and yet again very nice... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • briantrumpet
    fuzzbear wrote:
    Nice bike 8) If I ever get around to changing my 2008 Super Six I'd probs just get another one...

I'd be interested to know how the ride differs between the two years. Anyone know?
    Sorry I can't help there.

I've certainly fallen in love with this one ... I get a real buzz every time I set off on it for a ride. I can't wait for Spring and its first full season on the road - I can see me clocking up a few thousand miles on it by the time the Summer's over.

I like my CAAD9 too - but the SuperSix is just something else.
  • fuzzbear
    They do indeed ride very nicely.

My other bike is a CAAD9 - they also have a very nice feel to them. Chose mine as a second bike so that the size, position etc were the same as my Super Six.
  • I too have a 2010 Super Six and also had a CAAD9, both of which are awesome bikes. I ended up swapping the CAAD9 for a MTB because I couldn't justify two quality road bikes.

The Super Six is sooooo fast and comfortable and gorgeous looking to boot. Best bike I've ever owned. Enjoy it mate.
  • Justatheory
    Justatheory Posts: 32
    edited February 2011
    Would like with some Elite Custom bottle cages in black and white!
  • fuzzbear wrote:
    They do indeed ride very nicely.

My other bike is a CAAD9 - they also have a very nice feel to them. Chose mine as a second bike so that the size, position etc were the same as my Super Six.

I find the position on the Super Six much more upright due to the taller headtube.
  • briantrumpet
    edited February 2011
    I find the position on the Super Six much more upright due to the taller headtube.
    Curious. I've just measured both, and the tape measure confirms what I feel: that they are pretty much identical: height to top of headtube 93cm, height to saddle 103cm, and as I've got the saddle fore/aft measured from the headtube, the set-up geometry must be the same. The photo at the top is this set-up, and doesn't look upright to me!
    I wondered when someone would suggest spending £50 on bottle cages!
  • fuzzbear

I'm using a pair of not so spendy SuperStar components cages...
  • I find the position on the Super Six much more upright due to the taller headtube.
    Curious. I've just measured both, and the tape measure confirms what I feel: that they are pretty much identical: height to top of headtube 93cm, height to saddle 103cm, and as I've got the saddle fore/aft measured from the headtube, the set-up geometry must be the same. The photo at the top is this set-up, and doesn't look upright to me!

£7 each!
  • They all do the job though I suppose.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    How would you compare the CAAD9 and SuperSix frames for comfort and things like road buzz?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    How would you compare the CAAD9 and SuperSix frames for comfort and things like road buzz?

I found the Six to be much smoother and the geometry is slightly more relaxed and upright.

CAAD9 is comparable in terms of weight and speed but after 80 miles on my CAAD9 I felt a little beat up. CAAD9 is the best Alu frame I have ever ridden though.
  • briantrumpet
    unixnerd wrote:
    I found the Six to be much smoother and the geometry is slightly more relaxed and upright.

CAAD9 is comparable in terms of weight and speed but after 80 miles on my CAAD9 I felt a little beat up. CAAD9 is the best Alu frame I have ever ridden though.
    Yeah, the SuperSix I think is a very similar ride, but just takes the hard edges off rougher road surfaces (as well as being quite appreciably lighter). I still think that the geometry is very similar - I don't feel any more upright on the SuperSix.
    £7 each!
    They all do the job though I suppose.
    That's my view. I just don't get the point of carbon bottle cages - I quite like the minimalist functionality of metal ones. I could always paint on some white bits to make them look tarty.
  • fuzzbear
    For me - both frames are very comfortable. Super Six is very stiff & responsive but very sure footed. Climbs very well.

CAAD 9 feels softer, somehow. Equally planted on the road, but not as responsive on the climbs, still very good though.

I guess tyre choice can have a big impact on how the frames feel.

I'd be happy to take either on a long ride but, I do prefer the Super Six. Roll on summer...