Another piece of wisdom from the Daily Fail...

El Capitano
El Capitano Posts: 6,401
edited February 2011 in The Crudcatcher
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... auses.html

Having twice put my HR into the 240's whilst commuting, without suffering any side effects, I can confirm that story is a load of bo**ocks...

Comments

• I heard that on the radio, so I'm thinking why would I keel over cycling to work when my ticker works three times harder climbing hills on the FS bike?

Agreed with El Cap... sheer b*ll*cks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wait, are you suggesting (shock horror) that the daily fail is misrepresenting, and quite possibly misunderstanding scientific studies?

NEVVAAAAR :lol:
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I thought it was already proven that cyclists inhale LESS pollution than drivers as they are constantly moving and in an open air environment while drivers sit in a metal box directly behind the exhaust of the car in front?
  • Anonymous
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    I thought it was already proven that cyclists inhale LESS pollution than drivers as they are constantly moving and in an open air environment while drivers sit in a metal box directly behind the exhaust of the car in front?
    I don't know, and I don't care.
    You seem to be missing the point a bit though :lol:
  • D-Cyph3r
    Oh yeah, been away from the crud so long I almost forgot the drill...
  • So all roadies will die? thats a bad thing is it? :lol::wink:
  • What a load of complete and utter b*llocks.

They seem to have interpreted the figures in a p*ss poor fashion.
    Other risk factors included negative emotions (3.9 per cent), anger (3.1 per cent), eating a heavy meal (2.7 per cent), positive emotions (2.4 per cent) and sexual activity (2.2 per cent). Cocaine was to blame for 0.9 per cent of heart attacks, but this was because of limited exposure to the drug among the population.

So according to their reckoning, if you're happy or sad you're more likely to have a heart attack than if you take coke
    :shock: :D

Does anyone actually believe anything that the Mail prints?
  • Anonymous
    If you're happy OR sad, you're at more risk than cocaine users?
    Hmm, I've not seen many coke-heads being "indifferent" about things. They're generally either annoyingly happy, annoyingly angry, annoyingly sad, or in some odd situations, all of the above :lol:
  • If you're happy OR sad, you're at more risk than cocaine users?
    Hmm, I've not seen many coke-heads being "indifferent" about things. They're generally either annoyingly happy, annoyingly angry, annoyingly sad, or in some odd situations, all of the above :lol:

But not having a heart attack, according to the Mail :D
  • D-Cyph3r
    but this was because of limited exposure to the drug among the population.

They should come down here, limited is the last word i'd use...
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1360091/Heart-attacks-Cycling-work-biggest-causes.html

Having twice put my HR into the 240's whilst commuting, without suffering any side effects, I can confirm that story is a load of bo**ocks...

Hr in the 240's and a topspeed of 72mph - you sure you don't need to have your eyes checked?
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    clanton wrote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1360091/Heart-attacks-Cycling-work-biggest-causes.html

Hr in the 240's and a topspeed of 72mph - you sure you don't need to have your eyes checked?

Don't have the 2nd time, as I wiped the data when my Garmin Edge threw a wobbly last year. Here is the 2nd time through:

CardiacArrest.jpg

(That's shown as % of HR maximum)

I also went up to 235 last year. I'm a type 1 diabetic and this is what happens when I get a 'hypo' when riding.
  • clanton
    Wow. That is really quite scary.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    clanton wrote:

Proved you to be an idiot as well.
  • clanton
    Andy wrote:
    clanton wrote:

Not really Andy. A heart rate in the 240's amounts to fibrillation -it is not a physiological response and cannot occur in a normal human being.
  • clanton wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    clanton wrote:

Not really Andy. A heart rate in the 240's amounts to fibrillation -it is not a physiological response and cannot occur in a normal human being.

That's your problem right there.

It's El Cap you're talking about, the above does not apply.
  • Anonymous
    This thread is full of FAIL :lol: