Seat clamp basics

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Right, I have a 2009 Lapierre Zesty 314 with a 31.6 seatpost. I bought a new seatclamp measuring 31.8mm thinking it would be the right size but it doesn't seem to fit. Am I being too delicate or is it the wrong size?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like it is way to small.

see what it says on the old one and read this http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12726337
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    you probably need a 34.9mm....remember you've got the thickness of the frame to consider as well, so buying a clamp 0.2mm bigger than your post will definately not be big enough....
  • I just bought a new Hope seatclamp in 31.8mm. Fits my 27.2mm seatpost well, to give you an idea of the differential.

I'm a roadie though so I'm not sure, but either way it's DEF too small so make sure you don't force anything. Best to check with a LBS. Even just walk into Evans/Cycle Surgery...!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I just bought a new Hope seatclamp in 31.8mm. Fits my 27.2mm seatpost well, to give you an idea of the differential.

I'm a roadie though so I'm not sure, but either way it's DEF too small so make sure you don't force anything. Best to check with a LBS. Even just walk into Evans/Cycle Surgery...!!

but it does not fit you seat post.

it fits your frame.

the relationship between seat post and seat clamp is a n old thing. there is a greater link between front mech band size and seat post clamp but even that is tenuous.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I have a 31.6mm seatpost and a 34.9mm Hope quick release clamp.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Thanks guys - glad I didn't force it!
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I've bought QR seatclamp in 32mm guise which didn't fit my Zesty, had to send it back to CRC to change for 35mm. Now all is good!
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    My boardman comp hardtail seat clamp had 34 stamped on it, seat post is 27.2, i measured the seat tube with a digital caliper and it was 31.8 so thats what i ordered from hope. fits like a glove.