Broken mech hanger damaged frame - Stumpjumper FSR

Deepunder
Deepunder Posts: 145
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Broke my mech hanger on the weekend, I think the chain went off the big sprocket and ripped the dérailleur round. As a result the hanger snapped also bending part of the frame fixing for the hanger itself - AND wanging the hanger round on the dérailleur meaning its so tight my mini tool was creaking trying to undo it so I hope the mech's not damaged.

From what I remember from the classroom aluminium doesn't like being bent so I concerned if I bend it back it may just snap. Also the circular threaded loop is fractured so I may not ever take a hanger bolt securely again.

Can anyone give me some guidance, can I get by without this 2nd fixing point? See photos below:

]P1010445.jpg

P1010442.jpg

P1010444.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH i would have a go at straightening it and if it snaps it snaps.

you would then need to just take care when the wheel was out. as the mech could swing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So worst case, I snap it off - when the wheel's in, and skewer is tightened, the hanger can't rotate/move and dérailleur stays fixed in the correct position?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Deepunder wrote:
    So worst case, I snap it off - when the wheel's in, and skewer is tightened, the hanger can't rotate/move and dérailleur stays fixed in the correct position?
    Yup.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^ yeah but won't the spring tension in the derailluer want to pull the whol hanger forward?

maybe drill and tap a small hole in both hanger and drop out to prevent that, but choose the position wisely in order not to weaken the drop out?

you could geta bit TIG welded on or use Lumiweld to build up the end, drill and tap.

depending on the alloy used, heat treatment may not be required but there may be some paint loss.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    02GF74 wrote:
    ^^^^ yeah but won't the spring tension in the derailluer want to pull the whol hanger forward?

and over the axle! Right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown