Wilier Mortirolo

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
edited February 2011 in Your road bikes
After a bit of prevaricating and debating I finally pushed the button and bought this Wilier Mortorilo (2010) today. I saw it last weekend at Cycle Surgery at Chertsey. It was in their sale and advertised as a Mortirolo Mirage. When I inspected it I found that some of the groupset were at an upgraded level.
The front Derailleur was a Record, the rear Derailleur was a Veloce as were the brakes and crankset... so very nearly a Mortirolo Veloce... only R7 wheels though and Mirage levers. The price was excellent (I think... ) £1150.

Unfortunately it's p*ssing down with rain at the moment and I'm just staring at it lovingly! :oops: I do need to change the tyres though.

wilier1.jpg

wilier4.jpg

wilier3.jpg

wilier2.jpg

Frame - Mortirolo, Full Carbon
Fork - Mortirolo, Full Carbon
Headset - Ritchey Comp
Rear Hub - Fulcrum R7
Front Hub - Fulcrum R7
Spokes - Fulcrum R7
Rims - Fulcrum R7
Tire - CST RIGIDA 700-23c Steel bead non-folding
Shift Levers - Mirage 10 Speed
Front Derailleur - Record
Rear Derailleur - Veloce
Cassette - Miche 11-25
Chain - KMC
Crankset - Veloce Ultra-torque 50/34
Bottom Bracket - Veloce Ultra-torque
Seatpost - Ritchey Carbon
Seat - Selle Italia XR
Bar - Ritchey Alu
Stem - Ritchey Comp
Grips -GIST
Brakes - Veloce
Brake Levers - Mirage
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Nice pics....nice looking bike! :D
  • Elio
    Elio Posts: 63
    Great looking bike, molto bello! And very lucky with those components :)
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I've recently bought a similar bike and found that the stem was way too long.I ended up putting a 90mm on it instead. Would be interested to find out how you get on with it when you finally get out on it.

Lovely bike BTW!
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice bike mate 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • dabber
    Thanks for the positive comments. TBH, when I saw it last Saturday i knew I had to have it but still went away to ponder. Obviously it's very much in standard form at the moment (other than the supplied upgrades I mentioned earlier) and I need to get riding it before I make any decisions. I've put my current Shimano A520 pedals on at the moment.

The test ride I had was very enjoyable despite the rain... it seems very responsive.

ashleymp777... The current stem is 110 and that seems a good fit for me.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Nice bikes. prefer the paint job on mine though tbh! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • dabber
    Thanks a_n_t. I just had a look at yours... Very nice 8)

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so I hear tell.

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Definitely prefer the pre-2009 Mortirolo paint jobs (it's the top tube that spoils it for me) but for £1,100 I think you've got an utter bargain there. Full carbon frame, fork and steerer and a nice geometry etc.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    love mine :)
  • dabber
    Lagavulin wrote:
    but for £1,100 I think you've got an utter bargain there. Full carbon frame, fork and steerer and a nice geometry etc.

Thanks... yes, it seems that way to me. I was originally considering a Laveredo or perhaps a La Triestina. So when this Mortorilo was available for the same money as a La Triestina it seemed too good to miss.

Anyway, I left it at home yesterday for what turned out to be a fairly muddy club run... good decision as the backroads were very slippery so not a good day to get used to it.
    But today... I had my first proper run on it. A nice circuit of about 40 miles. The bike felt very nice.. very responsive. Getting used to a Compact rather than my current Triple seemed pretty straightforward. Very positive changes front and back.

Towards the end I realised that the seatpost had slipped a bit so sorted that out.
    Can't wait to get out again.

• Love it. Just had my '08 frame replaced (defect in the white paint) to the '10 version. I don't like it as much but still love it.

@ a_n_t: How's your paint holding up? Mine was like REALLY gone off milk after 15 months :cry:
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    leejdavies wrote:
    Love it. Just had my '08 frame replaced (defect in the white paint) to the '10 version. I don't like it as much but still love it.
    First Mortirolo I've heard of suffering from paint fade. Knew it was fairly widespread on Izoards - had my 2008 Izoard replaced under warranty due to the top tube and down tube looking like a custard cream by mid-2009.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    leejdavies wrote:

@ a_n_t: How's your paint holding up? Mine was like REALLY gone off milk after 15 months :cry:

Not had a problem with it, still as white as the day I got it.

Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.