First trip to Gisburn, any advice?

CharlieH
CharlieH Posts: 410
edited February 2011 in Routes
Got my first trip to Gisburn on Sunday with 2 mates and just wondered if there is anything to be aware of? I'm not the fittest rider but do ok downhill or through technical sections but one of the group is an off road virgin, although he is very physically fit. Do you think the red 8 is going to be too much for him or is it all pretty much rideable?

Any advice would be welcomed

Comments

• grant43
    grant43 Posts: 170
    just enjoy it went in november really good hully gully youll remember forever good going through the trees in the forest too just enough room for your handlebars in some bits the boardwalk can be a bit slippy in parts but its good youll love it
    keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol
  • its not a very hard red route, there are some challenging bits, just give it a go, you could always try the blue and then have a crack at the red if your up to it, my best advice is to get there early, before 10
  • CharlieH
    Cheers guys, I'm sure I'll be ok, was just a bit worried about "breaking" the newboy, especially as we are all off to Glentress at the end of march ;)
    He's using my Scott ht so I know the bike will be up to it though :)
  • Might struggle a bit on the Rock Garden sections on a HT, especially somone new to off roading.

TBH i think fitness is quite a big factor at Gisburn, if you arn't very fit I think you will have a harder time at say Gisburn than you would at a place like Lee Quarry. Again in comparison to say Lee Quarry, there are a lot more places especially on the top 8, where you need to be able to get the power down.

Key is to go at your own pace, take your time and have fun.
  • Gisburn's a great place! most of the red isn't too difficult but watch out for the braking bumps if you're on a hardtail!!
  • CharlieH
    Had a great trip, did the full red route in 3.5 hours with a couple of stops and two runs down hully gully. Even the newbie mate on my hardtail rode the whole lot. Was hard work but a great day out. Roll on Glentress in March :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Glad it went ok. You inspired me to get out and ride it myself on Sunday. Must've been a good ride because the conditions weren't great. Tricky in a few places, I bottled the boardwalk for the first time due to there being melting snow on it. I was mentally cataloging repairs needed as I rode round. There's more resurfacing work planned for the end of March on the upper section plus the volunteers need to schedule a day to tart up Homebaked.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stumpyjon How has Hullygully survived the weather it was looking a bit cut up again last time I saw it
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • CharlieH
    I must have been feeling brave with my new flats and five10s as I rode all the boardwalk even with the ice on it and had no problems. Did hit a few braking bumps on hully gully but the stumpy fsr just flew over them.
  • stumpyjon
    Hully Gully is a bit slippy. Mud's come down off the sides and the berms covering the armoured surface. It still felt firm underneath, personally I don't think it's in as bad a shape as it was this time last year. Don't think the big berms are particularly rideable at this time of year, not sure there's much we can do about it to be honest.

• CharlieH
    Hmmm, my mate had jones xrs on his trek HT and slipped about quite a lot but I didn't have one single slip with my 2.3 High rollers? Must be a good choice for Gisburn :)
  • stumpyjon
    Makes sense, I was running 2.3 High Rollers as well, very little slippage.