Racing Question

TKing
TKing Posts: 43
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
Basically, I would like to know that if say, you regularly do races in the South East, doing a race in another region in the UK would still contribute to your points?

Also can someone please explain to me the Regional C+, Regional C, Regional B....etc categories to me? How do these differ from CatE/1/2/3/4?

Thanks

Comments

• emx
    emx Posts: 164
    points are points, wherever you get them.

regional A, national B, etc relate to the status of the race and to how many points are on offer. Categories like E/1/2/3 etc relate to the standard of the riders...
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    If your region is South East and you do the races in the South East, then you'll gain points.

Some races are only open to certain catagories.
    So if you are in 4th Cat, then you need to find races in the South East that allow 4th Cat riders.
    You can also do races listed as "National" again, you need to check that the race is open to your catagory.

You gain points from National & Regional races.

If you want to know how many points you can gain from races have a look at this link.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roadst_National_Regional_Rankings_Explained
  • emx
    Karl2010 wrote:
    If your region is South East and you do the races in the South East, then you'll gain points.

you are entitled to gain points in any BC event you enter, regardless of where it is.
  • 4th Cats can't ride National events of any cat - you have to earn your spurs before they let the big boys loose on you.

You can gain any points in any event, but only points earned within your clubs region will count towards your clubs regional ranking.
  • Karl2010
    So i could enter a race in the Central Region, classed as "Regional" and earn points to get into a hgher Cat, even if im from the North West?

I thought the event needed to be classed as "National" to enter if outside your region?

So Thick Tester what your saying is that if im from North West and enter a North West Regional Race the club will gain points, as will I?
  • emx
    I think you are misinterpreting the terms here - 'regional' does not imply that only riders from that region can enter. You can enter any BC event (if your category is catered for) and score points in it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The confusion arises from the rule Thick Tester mentions. Clubs are ranked on regional points gained by their riders in their own region. So if you score points outside your region they don't count for your club's tally in that league table (not that many people care). There's also a ranking on national points.

But all the points you gain wherever you gain them still go on your licence as an individual and count towards moving up a category wherever you gain them like emx says.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Karl2010 wrote:
    So i could enter a race in the Central Region, classed as "Regional" and earn points to get into a hgher Cat, even if im from the North West?

Yes
    Karl2010 wrote:
    I thought the event needed to be classed as "National" to enter if outside your region?
    No - done plenty of races in other regions and never come across this
    Karl2010 wrote:
    So Thick Tester what your saying is that if im from North West and enter a North West Regional Race the club will gain points, as will I?

Yes - If you get points from a race outside of your region, you get the benefit , but your club does not ( unless of course its a national )
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Basically National A is open to E/1/2 (and 1/2 Jun on closed circuits) National B to E/1/2/3 men, E/1/2 women with junior elegibility depending on race length. Regional A senior / junior men 2/3/4 and all senior and junior women. Regional B as for A but no male 2nd cats, C and C+ open to all but to be run as a handicap or can be used for 4th cat only. It's all there in the link Pokerface put up. The category of race will also determine the maximum and minimum lengths of the races.

As far as club ranking points are concerned my understanding is that points gained in National category races don't count to regional rankings and vice versa (as well as points gained outside your club's region not counting).

When I first started racing it was a simple case of 1/2/3 or 3/Jun as a general rule although you could split it to 1/2 or 2/3 but other than handicaps juniors didn't race against 1/2 cat seniors unless they had dispensation. The beauty of the new system is that low category juniors and seniors can race without having international standard juniors (as a 3rd cat in the pre 4th cat era I used to regulalry have the likes of Jeremy Hunt in my races!). The downside is that a race can be categorised as a National race without the field necessarily reflecting the supposed level of the race so you could have people gaining a lot of points without racing any high quality riders.
  • Karl2010
    Got it.! :D
  • Karl2010
    Got it.! :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Your 'Regional Ranking' is just a personal thing to see how you stack up against other riders in your Region. It doesn't affect how and where you can ride in the rest of the country.

And any points you gain in any race you enter in the country will go towards moving you up a category (from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2, etc).