What the fudge are Time cleat bolts made of?!

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,396
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya

Been trying to drill my stupid cleat bolts out of my Winter shoes - I got one off OK but the other three seem to be made of some super metal that refuses to be drilled at all - so much so that it go so hot it started melting the rubber on the sole (I may have f**ked it totally not)

I'm using Bosch metal drill bit (as in a drill bit for metal) so wtf am i doing wrong?!

Cheers all

DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    drill slowly so you can still see the drill bit turning with medium pressure and use oil i you go full pelt youll just blunt the bit
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You might need a brand new drill bit. First bolt you drilled could possibly have knocked the edge off it. If you keep on trying to drill with a blunt bit you just end up hardening the bolt head.

Bosch drill bits arent brilliant I got a set with my drill and they dont last replaced them with a set of Titanium coated High speed steel ones from Machine Mart much better.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    I see - got them now, no fingerprints left cos I ve burnt them all off, potentially ruined the shoes anyway (hopefully salvageable with some of those crank bros sole savers), probably ruined three bits....this is why I should nt be allowed tools!

It appears that the best approach was to get them sertiously hot and then leave them to cool down - when I tried again, three of them unscrewed by themselves in the end

LBS tomorrow to see if I ve ruined the shoes or not....?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    When drilling into hard metal I always remember what my old drylining tutor told me; "push hard, pull slowly".

IE get your strong arm behind the drill but keep your finger light on the trigger.