three to four day route Lake District

morgs2001
morgs2001 Posts: 159
edited February 2011 in Routes
Hi folks,
I am looking for a three to four day route in the Lakes ,stopping off at Inns or BB ,has anyone done anything like this or know of any on line resources that may have details.
Route doesnt have to end where it starts and preferably be quite tough,including as much off road as possible.

thanks to all who reply

Morgs

Comments

• I have done lots of rides on the fells over there, however they werent linked in a circular route, but they were all pretty central so could be done from one camp / hotel whatever.

The first was from the windermere side of kirkstone pass (troutbeck) going over loadpot hill and down towards pooley bridge. You can return via a bridleway alongside ulswater to glenridding and back over kirkstone pass to troutbeck.

Another was a circular route from glenriding up to dollywagon pike and onto helvellyn ridge and back down via the slate quarry road (awesome descent). Although this is fairly short on length depending on ur fitness you might want to make it a bit longer.

The langdales provide no end of routes, great gable (very tough). Also the around buttermere and upto the slate quarrys at the end of the valley. Blacksail pass was a epic ride, get twitchy walking down it nevermind riding but was well worth it, quite a long road section to make it circular though unless u have two vehicles.
    All these can comfortably be done from the Ambleside area.

As ever there is still grizedale and the northface trail, if its still there, not been for a while. And whinlatter forest, skiddaw and blencathra near keswick. So many good rides to be had if you feel adventurous.
  • In addition, i did a weeks walking and camping, that started in the western langdales and went over towards seatoller andf keswick then went east towards thirlmere and up onto the helvelyn ridge and over to pooley bridge where i was picked up. Didnt take long and had a couple of days walking around glenriding.

My last 3 dayer on the mountain bike was around a place called the Knoydart Penninsula on the west coast of scotland, that was good but watch for midgies lol. the start point is at Kinloch Hourn and heads over to Inverie. Only way there is to ride in over the fells or get a ferry from mallaig as there are no roads to it. Good experience. Food for thought:)
  • cheers bob
    Been doing some reading and as you say Ambleside sounds like a good base .
    Never though about Knoydart ,that would be something different.
    Do you have a route map or anything you could share

thanks again