Weighing up frames

Nachimir
Nachimir Posts: 126
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Not a "what frame to buy?" thread, as I've already bought and been upgrading a hardrock sport disc for the past year or so. In general, I want to learn more about how to weigh up a frame though. I've googled, but just turn up loads of forum threads with people saying such and such a frame is good, but rarely explaining why. I've learned a lot about bikes, but don't feel like I know enough to exercise that kind of judgement.

I bought the hardrock because I was on a budget at the time, knew I'd be upgrading components, and reviews said it was a great frame for the price. Assuming identical components though, would you (for instance) rather have a hardrock or a rockhopper frame? Why?

Obvious things I'd look at in a frame are material, head angle, max suspension travel/axle to crown height, type of brake mounts, cable routing, and tyre clearance. A lot of those would be answered by intended use, and others seem to be personal preference. Anything I'm missing?

Comments

• Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Not really sure what your after here, you seem to have got most of it in your last paragraph, when i bought my Kona frame it was about the head angle and travel, 68 deg and 130mm just what i wanted, and when i bought my On one it was about getting a light(ish) frame for 100mm forks.

As for Hardrock Vs Rockhopper, i'd go for the Rockhopper because they're designed for similar purpose but the Rockhopper will almost certainly be the lighter.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Head angle, top tube length, frame material, fork travel, bb height, weight/strength. Pretty much in that order.
  • for me its:
    choose the type of bike - this usually dictates the head angle and fork travel
    Top tube length - anything with an effective top tube of over 580mm seems to be comfortable for me.
    Seat tube, again depends on the typre of bike, but anything from 16" to 20" I am comfortable on.
    weight... meh I think about it but not enough to bother me unless I was planning a whippet.
  • Nachimir
    Nachimir Posts: 126
    Really helpful, thanks all.

I'd like to build an AM hardtail at some point, once my riding skills have progressed, and after a little research looks like I won't go far wrong with a Blue Pig.