steep hill climbling on a long travel ht?

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited February 2011 in MTB general
what others do to keep the front wheel from popping off the ground? if its worth reducing the height of the stem?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    U-Turn or some other travel adjust.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    U turn forks are for girls, real men get off and push.
  • I read an interview in a magazine a while back, can't remember the name of the guy (think it was the bassist from rage against the machine?), but apparently he takes a dog collar with him whenever he's out biking. When he gets to a climb he wraps it round the arch and crown of the fork and does it up as tight as possible, thus reducing the forks length and making climbing easier. A pretty simple (and cheap) fix if you ask me.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    sometimes you can compensate by getting as far down the nose of the saddle as possible (toward stem) and readjusting you riding position. you'll use completely different muscles an it'll hurt at first but it won't kill you. but if it's regular steep hills you is doing then u-turn is where it's a at
  • Briggo wrote:

What he said :lol:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/technique-alpine-riding-skills-part-2-climbs-descents-21897
    saw this. well i need to reduce the amount of spacers on the steering tube anyways.
  • just stand up!

i have no porblems on my 160mm NS Surge.

Infact, it was easier to climb on that than it is my meta!!
  • One good tip I follow is to put your hands flat on the top of the grips, opposed to gripping them conventionally, that automatically makes you keep your weight on the front end
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    One good tip I follow is to put your hands flat on the top of the grips, opposed to gripping them conventionally, that automatically makes you keep your weight on the front end

Shift your weight forward, as above and put thumbs over the top of bars... this helps keep your elbows into your sides, which helps keep your arms level on the bars and so stops the front wheel wandering so much.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    mac man wrote:
    One good tip I follow is to put your hands flat on the top of the grips, opposed to gripping them conventionally, that automatically makes you keep your weight on the front end

Shift your weight forward, as above and put thumbs over the top of bars... this helps keep your elbows into your sides, which helps keep your arms level on the bars and so stops the front wheel wandering so much.

^this

You may want to raise the saddle to optimum pedal efficiency.
    Saddle up, sit forward, lower head, relax shoulders and hands, elbows against torso and cry like a little girl. :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Drop elbows low, roll hands back, bend body downwards. Keeping the nose down is easy, keeping the rear end gripping too makes it more of a balancing act
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Sit as far forward on the saddle as possible. It's not comfortable but helps keep the front end on the ground.

Also think about your peddling stroke. Keep it smooth and steady. Don't stab at the peddles or it will destabilise you.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I read an interview in a magazine a while back, can't remember the name of the guy (think it was the bassist from rage against the machine?), but apparently he takes a dog collar with him whenever he's out biking. When he gets to a climb he wraps it round the arch and crown of the fork and does it up as tight as possible, thus reducing the forks length and making climbing easier. A pretty simple (and cheap) fix if you ask me.
    Tim Commerford, fantastic bassist. :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Briggo wrote:
    ^what he said :wink: ^

either that or wheelie up hills :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    How about non-u-turn forks with decent damping? I never have a problem climbing on 140mm of travel.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    The more rural way of putting it is that it should feel like the nose of the saddle is poking up your ar*e....

I find pulling back and down on the bars help too, pushing the saddle forward is useful but then you are potentially causing other problems too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver