using my road bike off road.

gasgas
gasgas Posts: 33
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
hi, i have 2 routes to work a road way which can be quite dodgy (buses etc..) or a tow path which can be quite wet/bumpy, i generally switch between my road bike and my full sus mountain bike depending on what mood im in (and the time i have). but it would be soooo nice to be able to use my road bike on the tow path.

im sure im not the first to ask this but do you think i will get any adverse affects from using my road bike (cannondale caad9) for some very mild off road with suitable tyres or am i asking for trouble?

your advice will be appreciated. James.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You could probably get away with it if you whacked on wider CX tyres, though I'd be concerned in the long term about subjecting an aluminium frame to constant vibrations. Though it's probably no worse than some of the pot-holed ridden streets we have in the UK!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most MTB ally frames cope just fine.......yes I know a road frame tends to be a little lighter (although mine is heavier) and a little more flexable.

Tyres are the key, I took my commuter down a tow path with a friend on his roady (700x25, I was on 26x1.50 slicks) and while both moved around a bit it was no real problem, something a little larger with a bit of tread would have been fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I commute on an aluminium framed bike and a few miles of the route is a rough track. Certainly rattles my teeth and there are bits where I have to get out of the seat. I've fitted 700x28 and (dare I admit it) a suspension seat post for the benefit of my spine.

Wouldn't do the same route on my carbon.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I very much doubt you could get CX tyres on a caad 9. I wouldn't fancy riding one on a wet and bumpy tow path with the sort of tyres you could fit either. I'd stick to the mountain bike for that.

Rob
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You could probably nurse your bike along the towpath on 20mm tyres...

I've done it, it isn't that fun but it certainly improves your bike handling! It is also usually fairly flat!!!!

Personally I'd get a singlespeed 29r with the biggest slicks you can find though.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    nicklouse wrote:

Cool vid. It's amazing what you can do when you're Martyn Ashton.

Rob
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    n+1 I reckon, time to get a cross bike :P
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Cool vid. It's amazing what you can do when you're Martyn Ashton.

Rob

Agreed - some pretty neat riding but I have a few observations

1. Lots of spokes in them wheels for a racing bike which is a good thing for strength
    2. He wants to get a GPS to avoid getting so lost
    3. He might be a better rider than me, but I bet I could drink him under the table.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem