Which Boardman for a roadie beginner?

deffler
deffler Posts: 829
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
As a follow up to my which road bike thread over the weekend, im going to look at the boardmans today.

Can anyone with an eye for componants give me a heads up as to whether its worth shelling the extra out ? or is the price difference not worth it?

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team.html i can get this for £650
or
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_comp.html i can get this for £500

Any words of wisdom muchly appreciated
Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS

Comments

• I'd say go for the Team, well worth the extra money.

Where have you seen it for £650? At that price, it is a proper bargain!!
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Team
    I got the Comp as it was my budget but would have gone for the team if I could have had it for that price.
    Having said that, in the 5wks I have had the comp I have really enjoyed riding it. the only thing I can say against it so far is the paintjob
    I marks very very easily, first time out I only done 10miles so I could tweak the set up and by the time I got back the front cables had marked the frame ( only slightly but marked allthe same).
    since then I have had a chain off and that has badly marked the chain stay.
    But still really enjoy riding it
  • deffler
    I'd say go for the Team, well worth the extra money.

Halfords are doing it for £720 and I can get 12% discount off that. Only problem is Halfords are very low on stock :arrow: :x
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • If they are low on stock you'd better move quick then! :lol:
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    deffler wrote:

Halfords are doing it for £720 and I can get 12% discount off that. Only problem is Halfords are very low on stock :arrow: :x

buy online then they have to ship it to your local store. is it still on leachmere rd by B&Q
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I own a road comp. I got it for discount as it was the display model when I bought it nearly two years ago and has been a great first road machine for me. I have two opinions of what to choose:

1) Get the comp as you might not take to cycling so it would be an ideal value purchase. Also if you get the bug your next machine will have to be well into the £1k+ for a big improvement.

2) Get the team as you are unlikely be able to afford another bike anytime soon so want the best bang for the bucks you can get.

I now have an n+1 so have no reason to be upgrading or looking for another bike for a while, but if I was I know when the new boardmans are released in a couple of months I would be itching to buy one knowing how great my comp was.
  • deffler
    DCowling wrote:
    deffler wrote:

buy online then they have to ship it to your local store. is it still on leachmere rd by B&Q

No longer on Leachmere Rd, its now next to cowies roundabout at the bottom of Hylton rd.
    For some reason if a store is out of stock it doesnt ship one to the store for you, i assume each store just gets a allocation
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    Garz wrote:
    I own a road comp. I got it for discount as it was the display model when I bought it nearly two years ago and has been a great first road machine for me. I have two opinions of what to choose:

1) Get the comp as you might not take to cycling so it would be an ideal value purchase. Also if you get the bug your next machine will have to be well into the £1k+ for a big improvement.

2) Get the team as you are unlikely be able to afford another bike anytime soon so want the best bang for the bucks you can get.

I now have an n+1 so have no reason to be upgrading or looking for another bike for a while, but if I was I know when the new boardmans are released in a couple of months I would be itching to buy one knowing how great my comp was.

cheers mate thanks for your opinions, im on that wavelength exactly.

Out of curiosity whats a n+1? :oops:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    If they are low on stock you'd better move quick then! :lol:

theres no teams in large or medium in my area :cry: might give my local store a bell and find out what the situation is, they do have the comps avail :)
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Out of curiosity whats a n+1?

In cetrain circles it is the equation for the ideal number of bikes, where n is equal to teh current number of bikes owned.
  • deffler
    Out of curiosity whats a n+1?

In cetrain circles it is the equation for the ideal number of bikes, where n is equal to teh current number of bikes owned.

gotcha :idea:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS