Trial Riding at night...

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Off to Gisburn tomorrow night for some night riding ... any tips for a beginner? :?

First time I have done this ... I have a 650 lumen ultrafire 501B torch for the front bars... that's about it :lol:
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    1 - don't go alone.
    2 - if you fall, get up.
    3 - have fun.

It's the same as mountain biking in daylight only darker...
  • I've got to disagree that it's the same as in daylight. Shadows cast by your light can change the appearance of the trail, trail conditions can be different at night (especially during these winter months), more wildlife at night etc etc.

Have you ridden those trails during the day before? If not that's the one tip I'd give in addition to Bentes offerings. But as you're heading up tomorrow and you haven't ridden them before then I'd definately follow Bentes' tips.

And try and get a helmet light...if you only have one light, stick it on your lid.
  • Mr OCD
    I've got to disagree that it's the same as in daylight. Shadows cast by your light can change the appearance of the trail, trail conditions can be different at night (especially during these winter months), more wildlife at night etc etc.

Have you ridden those trails during the day before? If not that's the one tip I'd give in addition to Bentes offerings. But as you're heading up tomorrow and you haven't ridden them before then I'd definitely follow Bentes' tips.

And try and get a helmet light...if you only have one light, stick it on your lid.

Cheers...

I have ridden the trial (twice) before so have an idea of where I'm going ... I won't be going alone either as a few mates are also coming along.

Will see if I can locate a helmet mount.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • bentes
    I've got to disagree that it's the same as in daylight. Shadows cast by your light can change the appearance of the trail, trail conditions can be different at night (especially during these winter months), more wildlife at night etc etc.

Have you ridden those trails during the day before? If not that's the one tip I'd give in addition to Bentes offerings. But as you're heading up tomorrow and you haven't ridden them before then I'd definitely follow Bentes' tips.

You're right, it's not the same as daylight, but that's common sense.

The main issue I have with nigh riding is the shadows cast by the angle of the lights may trick you with the size of the obstacles. I mean, they may appear bigger/deeper than they really are, and sometimes the opposite. But after a few bumps you'll learn to evaluate the trail with it's new look. I think this doesn't happen so much with helmet mounted lights as with handlebar mounts because the angle is less shallow.

But it's a matter of common sense, at night, for the first time you'll be riding slower until you get used to the "new dimensions", and your eyes are used to the darkness.
  • Night riding is good fun but there is the safety you have to think about.
    I do night right alone or with groups, it depends if anyone is coming or not.
    I stick to trails and rarely go off piste.
    Always have a phone close in a pocket than a bag because if you fall you should be able to reach it if you have problem.
    I usually take a cheap torch. Take an extra choc bar as well.
    Problem is your imagination can runaway with you when you come to a dark part as iv seen numerous amounts of axe murderers, UFO's and ghosts!
    Whats really good though is on a really clear night, the sky is amazing!!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mr OCD wrote:
    Trial Riding at night...

you wont be doing that at Gisburn,

You mean Trail riding?

Trials is very different

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike_trials

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr OCD
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mr OCD wrote:
    Trial Riding at night...

you wont be doing that at Gisburn,

You mean Trail riding?

Trials is very different

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike_trials

:wink:

Ooooo Pedantic!!! :D:D:D

Sorry... Typo ... you know what I meant ;)

Thanks for all the advice people ... I will look forward to seeing the ghosts :shock: :lol:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    bentes wrote:
    1 - don't go alone.
    2 - if you fall, get up.
    3 - have fun.

It's the same as mountain biking in daylight only darker...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm a bit confused - its not darker when I go riding at night ;)

But seriously - the advice on shadows is important and depending on the area make sure you make a reasonable amount of noise. I have been charged by panicking deer on more than few occasions. Apart from the potential for injury it scares the crap out of you.

take a spare light, even if its just an app on your fone. Plus obviously some spare cells particularly if you use protected cells.

You can make a helmet mount out of an inner tube and some cable ties. Just not a long term solution.
  • bentes
    Let's listen what Mr Stiller has to say about night riding. :lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHMnjIk-o8
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    bentes wrote:
    Let's listen what Mr Stiller has to say about night riding. :lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHMnjIk-o8

haha brilliant!
  • watch an inspiring film like the blair witch project or something first....... then go on your own........ :shock: :twisted:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • diy
    I have done quite a bit of night riding on my own - I don't recommend it. Its not really safe if you start going in to deep trails. Nobody would find you if crashed. Would be a waste of taxes getting a helicopter up with nite vision, just to sort out your adrenalin trip.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Problem is your imagination can runaway with you when you come to a dark part as iv seen numerous amounts of axe murderers, UFO's and ghosts!
    That is so true, I was out on my own last night and got spooked my a mouthy owl... :oops:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    night riding is like any other potentially hazardous activity; you need to mitigate the level of risk so its acceptable to you, most mbikers probbaly have a decent grasp of risk even if its mainly intrinsic

having a young child and a old house nightime is its pretty much the only riding i get and i'm generally alone; ok so that increases the severity of the consequences when something goes wrong but i take it fairly easy and dont stray too far form civilisation, leave a route card at home and stick to it. I'm happy enough.

oh and i dont buy that you need lights that can be seen from space either, you are better off having 2 or 3 moderately bright units than one super bright one.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you have only one light, it's best to fit it on the bars - using it as a helmet light puts it too close to your line of sight and it will affect your depth perception.

We're all different but I've been solo night riding a few times a week all year round since the late 90s and not had any undue mishaps. I always have a plan B and a plan C and there's a little bit of my brain that's always asking 'what if?'

Quite entertaining to stop in the middle of nowhere, kill the lights and just take in the darkness. S'funny but it's rarely completely dark and as your night vision kicks in it doesn't seem so bad.
  • tsenior wrote:
    oh and i dont buy that you need lights that can be seen from space either, you are better off having 2 or 3 moderately bright units than one super bright one.

Its the super bright ones that kill the ghosts though............. :(
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • diy
    when you can buy bright lights for the same money and dim ones, why would you buy dim ones?

But multiple lights is the way to go.
  • Did anyone see any paranormal activity tonight?
    I keep seeing an orange glow over Dumfries when I was out on sunday night and tonight when cycling Mabie.
    I cant figure it out.
    Que the X-Files theme tune!!!
  • Did anyone see any paranormal activity tonight?
    I keep seeing an orange glow over Dumfries when I was out on sunday night and tonight when cycling Mabie.
    I cant figure it out.
    Que the X-Files theme tune!!!
    Maybe they have a leak? :shock:
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy