carbon on a bus - bad for the frame?

ytteb
ytteb Posts: 6
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
i ride to the bus, then bus w/my bike to work, then ride to work and at lunch. I want to buy a new carbon bike. Will putting a carbon frame on a bus on the highway damage the frame?

y'all - yes I am from North Carolina are some funny funny people. The carbon bike would be put on a rack on the front of the bus, yes outside the bus.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH you will need to explain more. as this site is mainly UK based and this part very London centric. Putting a bike in or on a bus is not a commonly done thing in the UK.

I believe you are posting from North Carolina or somewhere in that area?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I expect it will suffer quite badly due to protracted exposure to mass transport systems and withdrawal from the road it so needs. At this time of year it will probably catch the 'flu from someone as well.

In fact, in my opinion you could hardly treat it with greater cruelty. You are a sick, sick person.

In order to immediately begin a period of R&R for your poor beleagured frame I recommend you send it to me as soon as possible.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    So, you would actually ride a bike that you didn't know if it would survive a bus ride?
    How does that kind of reasoning work? :? :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    As long as you buy a ticket for the bike and don't sit at the back it should be fine.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Ytteb, we use the same type of front-of-the-bus racks here and the only thing I would worry about is that some people tend to toss their bikes on without much concern of banging the other bikes in the rack around so damage to CF or paint may be a possibility. Personally I would stick to using a beater bike for bus travel. Just my observations. 8)
  • nicklouse wrote:
    TBH you will need to explain more. as this site is mainly UK based and this part very London centric. Putting a bike in or on a bus is not a commonly done thing in the UK.

I believe you are posting from North Carolina or somewhere in that area?
    I assume something like this (from Canada ... via Google):mississauga_bus_bike_rack.jpg