Elixir R pad retention bolt clip

rtorbs
rtorbs Posts: 94
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've just got my bike back from my LBS after having an initial service as it was originally built by halfords and ive noticed that the rear pad retention bolt clip (if thats what you call it?) is missing....im kinda pissed cos the rear caliper got replaced under warrenty as it was defective so I know its just been left off.....

Ive checked to see if you get another with replacement pads but you just get the springy bit that holds the pads in i think....

Where can i get a replacement?......dont fancy riding too far in case it comes loose

Thing is im a noob and would never have known if it wasnt for the fact that I was trawling the web looking at vids on youtube on replacing the pads....only when i checked did i notice

well bugged

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If they left it off, take the bike back and get them to fit one for you
  • rtorbs
    peter413 wrote:
    If they left it off, take the bike back and get them to fit one for you

Yeah will do but its been a week.....ive been working away so kinda feel like its been too long...plus im not driving at the mo, and it isint exactly local for a LBS.....my local shop refused to touch and i quote ....." that Halfords piece of crap" lol....its a boardman HT pro in case your wondering!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it just an R clip?

like this
    img3054v.jpg

try a RC car shop or a car repair shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rtorbs
    nicklouse wrote:
    is it just an R clip?

Yeah thats the bad boy....will do that instead....bit of a trek for something that prob costs 5p

Alternatively was gonna snip the ends of my womens hair clip/bobby pin to see if that would work?

Cheers though pal...theres a shop down road :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    rtorbs wrote:
    Hi all,

..dont fancy riding too far in case it comes loose

Ive broken both front and rear on mine, been like it for bob knows how long. Not had a problem, its highly unlikely the pins will suddenly unscrew themselves.
  • I lost one recently and still haven't done anything about it... So far, so good :lol:

Probably not the best option!
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    If you mean the little E clip which goes over the torque bolt on Boardman brakes then you do not need it as the torque bolt will not come out. I have a Boardman Team and mine broke on the back calliper but the bolt has not come loose, plus Avid pad sets normally have one in as well as the bolt so if and when you buy a new pad set you should get a new E clip.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    My bolt retaining clips broke the first time I removed when the bike was only about 8 weeks old. Not used any since and the bolts have never slackened either. One day I'll get some of those R-clips shown above, if I see any the right size.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.