new team

NatoED
NatoED Posts: 480
edited March 2011 in XC and Enduro
i'm thinking of starting up a XC team . I'll be building up 2 or three bikes. any one had any experience running a team. Ps I own a repair shop

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    make sure your bikes and kit are always clean and in tip top condition (more likely to be in mags etc if your riders look good), get as much media as possible, facebook, twitter, web page etc.

are you going to transport the riders to races etc? are you going to pay for their race fees, licence etc? are you going to help with their training regimes to get the most out of them? how are you going to spot riders to sponsor first off? what sort of riding are you going to concentrate on?

just some things that came to my mind first off :D
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Take a look at this site and drop the guy an email, he's very friendly and started from scratch a year or so ago and appears to be going from strength to strength and is achieving results, tell him Si from xcenduro.co.uk pointed you in his direction.

http://www.columbia-bikefood.com/

Cheers

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • NatoED
    yeah i strip down my bike after every ride pretty much . i was going to pay for entry fees and they would get the license I may even ride every now and then . I'm based in South Wales Llantrisant. My first rider will be doing BSX as thats the bike he has at the moment then next year hitting the XC races . mostly for fun at first .
  • NatoED
    I'm a mobile bike mechanic so parts aren't to much of a problem and i used to work with a couple of good riders .
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What are you wanting to get out of it? Is this just a bit of fun, or are you wanting to make it a money making venture?
  • NatoED
    well using it as a type of advertising and maybe even working at the races doing repairs
  • njee20
    You'll want to talk to organisers to do that, particuarlly if you're coming to bigger races.
  • NatoED
    yeah . but at first i'm just going to race . it won't be till next year any way but want to get everything ready
  • hi,

what sort of level riders would you be looking for would they have to be experienced racers or someone who is fit and willing to push themselves.
    2010 stumpy expert
    1998 saracen tuff trak (classic)
    2008 pinarello fp1
  • njee20
    Bear in mind you can't really build up bikes without knowing who your riders are, sizes and what not.
  • NatoED
    i got a rider in mind . I used to work with him . he's the same size as me so i can build up two bikes that are the same size . We know what kit we like and so that side isn't to much of a problem .

He's very smooth rider and loves pushing to the limits so I'm going the side of strength rather than super light weight. Forks are an issue as I don't currently have a supplier that imports forks . The race kit to wear is going to be the fun part we both hate tight Lycra so we'll both be wearing baggies lol.
  • njee20
    Sounds like a really professional outfit... It may be a bit of a laugh, but I'm not sure you're going to actually get anything out of it.

If nothing else most racers will know how to fix their own bike, or have ties to a shop. I wouldn't sink thousands into this expected to have queues of people wanting new XX transmissions.

I think you're over estimating the significance of a team too. Not wanting to put you off, just managing expectations!
  • NatoED
    oh no it's more for having some fun and getting my name out there . That's why I want to keep it as low price as possible . I'm looking at it as a networking opportunity . Plus it will look good on my website to have a race team . Get my name out there and pick up more suppliers while I'm at it .
  • NatoED
    he is willing to ride for free cos I'Il be paying for entry and his licence . He just loves riding.

Oh and I did a few XC races in margam park in the late 90's .
  • nato
    go to a few national events and talk to the team managers they will offer good advice.
    you could search the web for exsiting mtb teams and get the contact details of managers and then talk to the team managers.pick there brains.
    Also you need to be clear what you want from it. what is the goal for 2010 and 2011. Then you can ask the right questions.
    good luck.
  • NatoED
    cheers for the advice